Need help please?

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Mitch

Need help please?

Post by Mitch »

Hello All,
I am trying to start a pee wee project with my son and unfortunately I am having a bit of trouble absorbing all this information off my plans and cross referencing it to my building with plywood book. Its preventing me from even purchasing wood. Does anyone know of a better step by step tutorial for building one of these boats? Information overload!!!

jprice

Re: Need help please?

Post by jprice »

While reading/researching ahead of time is a good idea, don't try to understand all of it at once. Because it will make your head explode. :shock:

Once the wood is purchased, your first step would likely be tracing frame parts onto the wood, and then cutting them out.
After you've done that then refer back to the docs and figure out what your next step could/should be.
If you're still not sure you could always ask here what the next logical step would be.

But as far as an explicit, detailed step-by-step guide is concerned, I don't think there is one.

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

The PeeWee is a pretty straight forward build using a frame set up on a building form and sheeted with plywood. There are many pics of PeeWee's in the customer photo archives on this website. Wood used is generally marine grade plywood and any suitable wood not prone to rotting. Sizes mentioned in the plans and instructions or usually nominal unless drawn full size in the templates. Measure the width and depth of notches to get a good idea of sizing desired by the designer. Framing is typically 1" nominal or 3/4" finished size as in lumber yard sizes.

Search archives and the forum for other PeeWee builds or similar boats. The instructions and the book you have is pretty much all that is usually needed, plus some encouragement from builders on this forum. We are all happy to answer more specific questions you may have.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Thanks - It definitely is about to make my head explode! I have gone over it many times. It seems I should start with purchasing a piece of 3/4" x 3' x 4' of exterior fir for the transom, stem, knee and breasthook? along with a 3/4" x 8" x 13' of spruce or mahogany for the frames, dash, intermediate beams & skeg? would this be a good place to start with a wood purchase to get me going? It would be great if someone would create a step x step tutorial for guys like me :?

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Mitch

Just jump in and have some fun. Go for the frames and transom first. Then the building form. Cut fat of the lines. Don't worry! Little is that critical. We'll get you through.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Yup!! Cut wide of the lines and sand the edges. You can use just about any kind of sander, even by hand. Once you start making the parts and have a three dimensional piece in your hands, things will start to make more sense.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Mitch

Post by Mitch »

OK- I am jumping in. Will go purchase wood I mentioned above and see if I can't make some cuts this weekend. Wish me luck!

Return to “Small outboards”