SMALLEST motor for a Squirt

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Sunbolt

SMALLEST motor for a Squirt

Post by Sunbolt »

I see a lot of people asking about the largest motor you can put on a Squirt. I'm planning on building one for use inside the Ship Canal and Lake Union only in the Seattle area, and the entire zone is limited to 7 knots. What is the lowest HP motor I can install and get up to 7 knots? I'm wanting to make it electric, and there are options all over the place from 1HP and up.

Thanks.

BillW

Re: SMALLEST motor for a Squirt

Post by BillW »

If you were talking about an ordinary 2 stroke outboard, I would guess that 5 hp would good, with a bit of excess power, in reserve.
And no doubt, you would want one able to utilize remote steering and controls.

For electric, I would think the equivalent to that would be good.

We are also near Seattle. We have a Squirt; you are welcome to see it any time.

Bill

irie E

Post by irie E »

I had a 10hp electric outboard on my boat. 12' aluminum semi-v probably 550-600lbs with operator. 3.1kw pushed it 7 knots. So as BillW said a 5hp would probably do the trick. What batteries are you planning to use?

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Keep in mind that the Squirt is a planning hull, so tooling around at 7 knots there will be a lot of drag.

I'd love to see an electric Squirt.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

irie E

Post by irie E »

So with my boat, which is longer and heavier than a squirt , it would break free from the transom wash at 5.6 knots. And with the controller continuously logging data you can watch it break over the hump and become more efficient. My brushed outboard conversion topped out at 8 knots, my prototype electric surface drive pushes the boat 21+ knots.

I agree a fast electric squirt would be a blast. I had considered buying plans for it but instead bought pee-wee and jet cat plans to marry up with my surface drives.

Sunbolt

Post by Sunbolt »

Thank you for your replies! I have a limited amount of knowledge - having sailed the Blanchards at the Center for Wooden Boats mostly.

It is a very good point to think about the planing hull. Is it a constant at what speed the boat begins to plane? I guess I should choose a motor with enough HP to get to planing speed. Sorry for not knowing some of the basics.

BillW

Post by BillW »

I would have guessed that a light weight Squirt would start to plane at around 8 or 10 knots.
But, I can't really tell, because my Squirt is not very light weight.

In the post from irie E (above) it sounds like his boat planes beginning at 5.6 knots. So, perhaps you can have a Squirt
that will plane without exceeding 7 kts.

But, if you are never going to go "fast" I would not build a planning hull.

Return to “Small outboards”