Tucker's Squirt

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Bill Edmundson

Re: Tucker's Squirt

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:04 pm

TDI

I used 1/2" sub-deck and only 1/8" planking. I saw to 3/16". Then I lightly run it through the plane. Sand as needed after installed.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

TDI

Post by TDI » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:55 pm

Thanks, I think 1/8 in thick will do better with the curvature near the transom.
Tucksquirt.blogspot.com

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:39 pm

A lot of folks are doing their own upholstery. Mainly due to sticker shock and having to wait forever to get it professionally done. I launched without upholstery. Those type IV cushions aren't very comfortable after an hour or so. Planning on doing some sewing soon. Sailrite.com seems to be a good resource that a lot of people are using. They have a lot of instructional videos as well.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:40 am

+1 on Sailrite and doing it yourself. I used some of their 2" foam and sewed the cushions to be 1 1/2" thick, to pre-compress them a bit, and they are pretty comfy on the water. I still ended up spending quite a bit on materials, but I don't know what a shop would charge. I made simple bench type cushions, one for the seat, and one for the back. I need to add some way to hold them in position this spring, because they do slide a bit.

Your Squirt is looking good.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

TDI

Post by TDI » Sat May 11, 2019 10:50 am

So I messed up my coverboard! After installing the front section I just happened to dent it with a tool right where the joint is. Quite upsetting! Does anyone have any ideas how to keep the joint from sticking out like a sore thumb? I think after it's filled with epoxy it'll still stick out and I'm afraid If I try to fill it with something I'm not sure I can get it to match close enough. So I figured I'd ask on here to see if I should do anything with it or just let it be. Second pic is my current progress. Just epoxied my King plank and rear piece is curing now.
IMG_1656.jpeg
Attachments
IMG_1663.jpeg
Tucksquirt.blogspot.com

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Sat May 11, 2019 10:54 am

FamoWood Mahogany would be my filler of choice. Thickened epoxy will darken too much.
Matt B

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain » Sat May 11, 2019 10:57 am

It looks too big for this to help but maybe you could wet down the joint area and hopefully swelling will close up the gap a bit.
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

TDI

Post by TDI » Sat May 11, 2019 10:59 am

I do have some of that but I feel like it still doesn't match well enough to keep it from grabbing my attention. Maybe I will experiment with it before I stick it in that dent.
Tucksquirt.blogspot.com

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike » Sat May 11, 2019 1:04 pm

I’d be inclined to simply fill it with some system 3 gel magic, and leave it at that. It’s thick epoxy that finishes clear.

I know it’s really frustrating, but in all likelihood, it’ll be one of those things nobody notices except you (as the builder).
-Michael

"How long does it take to build a boat? Until it's finished" — yours truly

Blog (Utility & Zip): http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

TomB

Post by TomB » Sat May 11, 2019 3:39 pm

I would wet it and steam it (iron and a damp towel). Failing that, if you still have the cut off from the cover board you might shave a piece and glue it in and sand it off. Tom

BillW

Post by BillW » Sat May 11, 2019 7:56 pm

What TomB said. If that is a dent that happened after the epoxy cured, then it likely will swell up with application of lots of hot water.

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Sun May 12, 2019 4:09 pm

Is it a good place for some dock line chocks or a cleat?

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Sun May 12, 2019 11:42 pm

+1 on the water and hot (clothes) iron method. I've used this with good results in the past.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

TDI

Post by TDI » Mon May 13, 2019 6:37 am

Appreciate the responses. Will have to try it all out. Not real hopefully that the steam and water will help with this dent. Also not sure I want the cleats over the cover board seams but I’ll play around with it.
Tucksquirt.blogspot.com

TDI

Post by TDI » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:13 am

Got the last and final board on! Now for tedious finishing work. Also an update on my previous posts/questions. I ended up ordering my seat cushions from affordablboatcusions.com. Simple cushions 2" thick and have a snap system on the bottom that keeps them in place for $275. I figured I would have spent more doing it myself through sailrite. I'll post a picture when they are delivered. Also, as for the dent in the coverboard joint, hot water/steam didn't help. I filled it with famowood and once I wetted it out it looked even worse than not filled. So, I'm just going to place my cleats over the coverboard joints and cover it up.
Attachments
IMG_1850.jpeg
Tucksquirt.blogspot.com

Return to “Small outboards”