Squirt Chine Trouble-Fairing Questions

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

wsquam

Squirt Chine Trouble-Fairing Questions

Post by wsquam » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:26 pm

Hello Everyone,
I am having issues with my chines and I am getting ready to start fairing provided I have not made any errors beyond repair.
A few screw ups:
1) the port chine sits about 1/2 inch lower than the sb.
2) Since I did not get the angle right on either side for enough material to mate to, I had to install a few laminations on both sides. The problem with this is that the laminations now meet the edge of the stem that needs to be faired away.

I checked in a few places and the appear to be level side to side, but when I measure from each chine centerline to the stem center (I checked in a few places, one side is 3/8 to 1/2 inch further from the center.

So, I guess I am reaching out to see if these mistakes are fatal, and if not, I could really use some direction on how to handle the fairing, what to do with stem, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Ryan
Attachments
956583E7-C060-4B7F-929A-067B6DE5D6C3.jpeg
4EC777DC-0C7B-446B-995B-EE73E68C55E9.jpeg
B693768C-275C-4453-A5EA-2CCA9E910D22.jpeg

Hercdrvr

Re: Squirt Chine Trouble-Fairing Questions

Post by Hercdrvr » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:43 pm

Hmm, I see your concerns. Good news, not much is a fatal error in boat building. Trying to fair the stem/chine junction would be difficult as it is now. What if you released the chines at the stem and trimmed them Shorter so they will mate to the stem farther back? It will be a bugger to re-fasten them but doable
if you get a ratchet strap to help and maybe build yourself a chine block to help out.
What do the rest of you fellows think?
Matt B
P

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:28 pm

For the most part, a 1/2" or 3/8" asymmetry isn't going to matter a whole lot in most places. However, I think you may have to let that starboard chine loose and trim it just a little to get it to match the port one. It won't take much so don't go crazy there. It will probably take several small nibbles to get it right. I'm assuming you laminated those chines in place. If that is the case, they probably won't spring back much so that is going to help you. Don't head to the burn pile yet. Worst case is you re-do the chines and I don't think it will come to that. Get them to land in the same spot on both sides and the rest will fair out.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:38 pm

I agree with Matt and Matt :D all is not lost, just need some finessing. Disconnnecting one or both chines from the stem will help you trim and align for symmetry and for fairing. You shouldn't have to remove the chines completely and start over unless you feel you can't quite get these just right. Good luck and as always have fun!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:00 pm

I may be missing something but I dont think you really have to remove anything if you dont want to. Looks like you have plenty of "meat" on your chine and sheer to be able to fair away a good amount of material and still be plenty strong. A sharp observer might notice the asymmetry in the finished product but it shouldnt be noticeable in how the boat performs at all. The slight differences can mostly be evened out in fairing.

If you have a 3" hand held belt sander you can start by fairing at the stem and youll probably just end up sanding away the outer chine lamination from where it meets the stem back along the chine about 1 or 2". Looks like some of your sheer is also going to have the same issue where it meets the stem and a decent amount of the first lamination within a couple inches of the stem will wind up faired away. Since you seem to have plenty of girth in your chine and sheer I dont think youll have any problems.

Fairing is more art than science. Take your time and dont remove too much material at once.

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:58 am

You could do it in any of the ways mentioned, but I am leaning with Chris's solution. It appears you have plenty of meat on the chines to allow for fairing them into the faired stem without separating them from the stem and moving them back. You can do wonders with a belt sander, plane, and oscillating saw. Just take your time and keep working it until you get it right. If the chines get too thin during the fairing process, just add a lamination to the inner sides and you will be good to go. I really think this approach will work unless I am missing something in the pictures. Keep us posted please.

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:14 am

I agree with Chris and Neel — I don't believe you need to unfasten the chine. You have plenty of wood there to make a good connection. You can work to make the end result more symmetrical through fairing. This will mean removing proportionally more of the starboard chine than the port side, but as long as the end result is symmetrical on the outer surface, it will be fine.

As mentioned, if the chine gets too thin after fairing, you can add more wood onto the internal side to reinforce it.

I'd proceed as-is.
-Michael

"How long does it take to build a boat? Until it's finished" — yours truly

Blog (Utility & Zip): http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:36 pm

It’s settled then, belt sander with 36 grit paper, my favorite tool. Get to hogging it off and making some dust! Report back ASAP with the results.
Matt B

wsquam

Post by wsquam » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:30 pm

Thank you everyone. I just bought a Makita 4 inch belt sander and a Porter Cable Oscillating tool. I really appreciate the suggestions and promise to post back with some photos as soon as I make a little progress with this step.
Thanks again.
Ryan

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:55 pm

Have fun! We all figured it (fairing) out so it can't be that hard.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Return to “Small outboards”