Fisherman

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

epiziali

Fisherman

Post by epiziali »

Hello Everyone. I am new to forum and starting a Fisherman 13' that will be stretched to 14'. I live in California near San Jose. I plan to use my boat in the marsh where we duck hunt. We have some good fishing in the area, can't wait to run it around the sloughs.

Looking for a little advice as I start to put the frame together. I am a little confused with how the stem is lining up.

Plans call for the length to be 53" inches from front of frame 4 to tip of breasthook. Mine measures 52" in the photo. At this length, height is correct at 27". The plans show some other measurements to check from bottom of stem. For example, 8" down, front of breasthook should be 9 1/4" to front edge of stem. 16" down, should be 16 3/16". My measurements of ~1" off. Pictures below.

And while the height is correct, it seem like the notch should be deeper...therefore the height would come up.

If anyone has some practical advice or rules of thumb to share, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
IMG_1091.jpg
IMG_1090.jpg
IMG_1089.jpg
Eric

hoodman

Re: Fisherman

Post by hoodman »

Try laying the stem on the paper pattern and see if it matches.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

billy c

Post by billy c »

Recheck your frame and rolling stand to make sure they are square, level and plumb. Doesn't take much to lose an inch if this is not perfect.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Post by 283 »

IDK, but can stretching the length from the stem back change the angle of the keel/stem/frame intersection enough to change the measurements?

Anyways what’s an inch here or there :P ? Line things up straight and plumb and go with it :wink:

Welcome. Looking forward to watching what you do with the design. The fisherman has been on my shortlist of boats to build next.
Mike

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Billy C is right, double check your fixture.
Also I'm thinking the best way to check the dimensions of your stem location is to duplicate how they are specified on the plans. I'm not sure your method is getting you what you want because the blue horizontal straight edge is clamped to the keel which is usually not parallel with the setup level on your plans. The tip of your stem is probably higher off the floor than it should be.
Try extending a string or wire at the setup level of your fixture, and offset to one side of the stem. The setup level is the top edge of the fixture that you set your frames on. Once your string is on the setup level, you can measure from the string down to the point on your stem and readjust the height of the stem to the plan dimension.
By the way, really nice job on the fixture and hull so far!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

epiziali

Post by epiziali »

Thanks for all the great advice. I hope to go through the paces with it this weekend and inch her along. I'll report back.
Eric

epiziali

Post by epiziali »

Thanks again for all the input. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong when measuring the stem length. Was a matter of pulling from front of frame instead of back. I must have stared at it a dozen times. Oh well. Attention to detail is very helpful :D.

I had to take a break over the holiday's. Glad to say I was able to put some quality time in over the weekend and things are looking pretty darn plumb straight and square. I'll start bending chines around the frame soon. Borrowed a steamer from a friend. Any tips on steaming are welcome.

Here are the latest photos. Thought I would share my progress.
Attachments
IMG_0055.jpg
IMG_0051.jpg
IMG_0050.jpg
Eric

epiziali

Post by epiziali »

Hello Forum.

While I was hoping to be on my way and post another update. I have run into an issue that I am hoping I can get some advice on. My keel is straight from frame 3 to 2 to 1, but drops significantly on its way to transom. I didn't think it was off "much". And thought I could take care of a small variance when fairing. When I went to double checked and re-check position of frames, etc. It drops quite a bit. I thought the angle of the transom might be creating the rocker, but it appears to be correct per plans. So clearly I need to move the transom UP!.

Aside from having to detach my chine logs from transom (OUCH!). Issue with moving up from what I can tell:

With the transom in its current position, the battens and sheer plane nicely into transom. I know I must get keel straight, but fear in doing so I will have to spend time planing the battens and potentially adding material to top of transom to keep everything else straight. If anyone has some thoughts on next steps and things to consider, please chime in with some helpful tips. THANK YOU! :D
Attachments
IMG_0102.jpg
IMG_0101.jpg
IMG_0098.jpg
Eric

epiziali

Post by epiziali »

a few more photos to help illustrate what I was trying to explain. These are taken after I raised the transom.

one additional thought. wondering if extending the build from 13' to 14' has anything to do with this. Not sure why it would, but possibly a consideration.

Feeling stuck inside a game of whack-a-mole at the moment...just need to find the passage out... :oops:
Attachments
IMG_0109.jpg
IMG_0107.jpg
IMG_0104.jpg
Eric

billy c

Post by billy c »

...you shouldn't have to move anything up or down as your building form and frames are holding your keel and chines in proper alignment. Make sure your transom mates with the building form as drawn on your plans. The flat should be from your transom going forward. You may have an idea how far forward by looking at your side view of the plan. Put your straightedge on the keel at the transom and take another picture for us
Thanks
Billy

epiziali

Post by epiziali »

Thank you for feedback.

I will. I just left town for a few days but can likely get a photo. When you say transom should be kept aligned by structure. I don’t see how it is supposed to be connected to it at all. I just extended some 2x4 to help support the weight of it. I think you can see supports in second photo.
Attachments
709B75A9-F894-488F-A369-9CA0F696130E.jpeg
073B0B69-EC7C-41F8-ABBB-5A4B5BC4DC3A.jpeg
Eric

billy c

Post by billy c »

Thanks for the picture of the plans. I can understand what you are working at now.
The Building form has nothing to do with the transom location in your build like I guessed in my post above.
yes a nice straight run on the keel from frame 3 back to the transom. I'd do whatever it takes to bring the transom up to the height needed to make the keel perfectly straight. That should bring all the notches for chine and sheer into line.

epiziali

Post by epiziali »

Ok. I can do that. Just a bit of a head scratcher as to why batten and chines have to run up hill when everything else seems good to go. But I get it. And going to press on. I’ll likely shim frame one. Add a bit of material to notch for sheers So it remains straight...eventual I’ll be in the water. 😜. Thanks again.

My wife took some photos for me. God bless her. Grateful for a wife that puts up with my tinkering.
Attachments
3154CEBE-1CCC-46B0-ABA9-21C0F1C73039.jpeg
9B0A4829-14C1-4852-8A13-3D61F7337365.jpeg
8E16ADF9-A995-495D-A191-183D76AE7961.jpeg
Eric

epiziali

Post by epiziali »

Been meaning to post. This is from 40 years ago. That is me in the back and my older brother driving. Supposedly my grandfather built it. But I really don’t know. If any one is familiar with design, please share. Lake Tahoe near Tahoma. Late 70’s.
Attachments
857789CA-D1EC-4031-BA99-3B493A9E4F84.jpeg
Eric

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

That is a nice and tidy build you have going here. The Fisherman is on my radar as well someday. Keep up the good work and photos. Glad to see BillyC has been able to give you the advice you needed.

Return to “Small outboards”