Fisherman

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

epiziali

Re: Fisherman

Post by epiziali »

I'm starting to plan for skeg and spray rail install. Can anyone point me to some pointers on spray rails? Do most folks steam wood before bending? And curious about placement. Do you run them flush to bottom of boat?

Thanks,

Eric
Eric

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Eris

Sprayrails are usually right on the chine. Coming around the bow the bottom edge is perpendicular to the side of the boat. They actually turn down. As you pass the widest part of the beam, they start to turn and become flat with the bottom.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

epiziali

Post by epiziali »

Thank you. Think I am getting the idea. And I just found the detail on the plans. I got it. :D
Eric

Biss

Post by Biss »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33390&start=60

Boat is looking great. Above is a link to some posts showing the spray rails and skeg on my build. Hopefully you can see what Bill was explaining about how the spray rail is on plane with the bottom of the boat then then starts to turn down as it goes forward.

Biss

epiziali

Post by epiziali »

Yes...I can see that. That is what I was envisioning. Thanks for confirming. I have it installed. Unfortunately I goofed on the right side with snapped a couple of screw heads off. I should not have used washers. Oh well. I'll recover and get to shaping.
Attachments
IMG_2847.jpg
Eric

epiziali

Post by epiziali »

I am debating glassing in splash rails and skeg. It seems like a lot of resin in the gap without glass to keep it in place without wanting to crack or chip out over time. Any advice on this would be helpful. Both splash rails and skeg are fastened with boat life / life caulk. Then I just used resin to fill in. Anyone else use fiber glass cloth on splash rails? Thank you.
Attachments
0CFFC2F2-35E5-4872-B34A-9F7C2F5974C1.jpeg
6D795469-E89E-46CF-B9A2-5A801D1116BA.jpeg
Eric

Biss

Post by Biss »

I didn't use fiberglas. I just used thickened epoxy and screws to attach. I think most consider the skeg and spray rails sacrificial. I guess it would be alittle easier to replace if there was no figerglas to deal with. Probably be a pain either way!

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike »

For my part, I would not fiberglass the spray rails & skeg. It would be a lot of extra work for very little actual benefit. Also, when the time comes to repair the spray rails & skeg, fiberglass would only make things more complicated — again, for very little actual benefit.
"How long does it take to build a boat? Until it's finished" — yours truly
Why did the boatbuilder get a divorce? Because he didn't have enough clamps to hold his marriage together!

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

You can make the skeg and sprayrails from solid PVC.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

epiziali

Post by epiziali »

Thank you for the feedback.

The flip has happened. :D Finally.
Attachments
IMG_3432.jpg
Eric

Biss

Post by Biss »

Looks great! Congrats on the flip. That's a big milestone in the build. Look forward seeing what you do with the remainder of the build.

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Awesome, Eric! She looks great--congratulations.

epiziali

Post by epiziali »

Hope everyone is safe and doing well. I have been pushing ahead with the fisherman and appreciating having the boat as an outlet. Thought I would post a few photo updates. I have finished filling and sanding the inside, and have applied two coats of resin. I flipped the boat back over to complete the bottom coats with primer and finish coat. I used system three yacht boat primer and bay grey Parker duck boat paint for finish coat. I started to rough in the framing and made some good progress.

Also starting to think about foam/flotation. How much to install? And what type? Any opinions on that is appreciated. Has anyone used a Dow Billet for flotation?

Stay safe.

Thanks,
Eric
Attachments
boat c.jpg
boat p.jpg
boat b.jpg
Eric

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Your boat is coming along nicely. I bought a 2 gallon kit of floatation foam. I was going to pour it and make blocks. Then cut to shape. I haven't gotten around to that yet.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

epiziali

Post by epiziali »

Thank you Matt. Much appreciated. Always enjoy looking at your boat. Great reference for me.
Eric

Return to “Small outboards”