Deck Trim

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Bill W

Re: Deck Trim

Post by Bill W » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:48 pm

Roberta :

Where did you get your stainless rub rail ? Does it bend easily ?

Thanks.

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:19 pm

There are numerous sources out there. Look for the best price. I like using 6 foot sections as they are easier to shape and bend along the shears. Longer lengths get unruly and can kink easier unless the area is straight.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:27 pm

Stainless rub rail does not bend "easily". My suggestion would be if you are deciding between two sizes go with the narrower. I couldnt decide on 1/2" or 3/4" and I bought 150$ worth of 3/4" stainless rub rail because I liked the nice wide look and then I couldnt get it to bend enough. A lot depends on each boat and how much curvature the shape of the sheer has. Others with the 1/2" have had good results on my same boat so I should have gone with that. In a pinch to get ready before the gathering I ended up ordered some half round black rubber trim from Wefco mfg. Its has held up tremendously screwed every 6" for almost 10 years now. It worked so well I never changed it. It doesnt have the shiny stainless look but I never felt like it looked out of place either. I still have those two 16ft stainless pieces sitting in my garage.
Launch 002.jpg

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:21 am

I had a problem bending 3/4" SS rub rail to fit my Squirt. You don't notice it when look down at it, but it bothers me. You would be surprised how much the bow of a boat curves "down" as well as "in".

One suggestion that I got was to put the rub rail inside a PCV pipe with another smaller pipe to hold it tight against the inside wall, and then bend it. I may give this a try this spring when I get the boat out of storage.

I searched around, and Marine Industries had the best prices on SS but shipping costs on 12' sections is pretty steep. It was cheaper for me to drive an hour and 1/2 to pick it up (nice country drive with the Missus). You would never expect such a business in the middle of Michigan Amish farm fields with not a lake in sight. They also have a location in Tennessee, so anyone going to one of the gatherings may be able to stop by and pick some up. Marine Industries can also do custom bending for a price.

P.S. They also have 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" "hatch banding" that I was able to used for transom bands.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:52 am

Using long lengths is more difficult than short ones. I recommend 6 foot maximum unless you have really long straight runs. Shorter lengths will conform better to compound curves.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:37 pm

I'm like Roberta. I like the shorter pieces. If you damage it you don't have to replace everything. Shipping is much less. On a utility/work type boat, I go to Metal Depot and get aluminum 3/16x3/4, or 1", bar stock. It's much less expensive and is easy to work. You will have to drill and countersink it yourself.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:03 pm

I used 7/8" trim for my boat. It is hollow, and bent just fine when I installed it. The wide trim covers the seam between the coverboards and the hull. They sell it at Classic Boat Connection in 6', 10', and 12' lengths. Here's a link to their catalog:
http://www.classicboatconnection.com/bi ... _dolly.pdf

I had the same style custom made by Jim Thorpe at Buffalo Metal Works because he makes longer lengths. He specializes in custom metal work for Classic Boats. You will want the seam(s) to be at a part of the boat that has less of a curve. My seams are where the back seats are on my boat. I ordered from him because I wanted longer lengths. Yes, the longer lengths are quite expensive to ship. I had two lengths that were approx 14' long. I made a molding to fit inside of the hollow trim piece. I screwed in the trim at the bow first and worked my way back putting in one screw at a time. I used the length of the trim to help with the bend.
Jim
Attachments
20181005_155405.jpg
Trim installed
20180729_164414.jpg
Here are some scraps to show the trim and the molding that fits into the hollow part.
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

cepjr

Post by cepjr » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:05 pm

I got enough done to show my flush rub rail
Attachments
IMG_20190428_203939.jpg

Return to “Small outboards”