Building the PeeWee in Germany

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Tijan

Building the PeeWee in Germany

Post by Tijan » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:48 am

Hey guys,

finally the weather start to be dry and warm, so a god moment to start with the construction of the PeeWee.

Recently I already cut the stem, due to the fact that I had some left overs from another boat project I used a 4cm thick peace of plywood to cut the stem.
And now I struggel a bit with the instruction of the stem. In the instruction is written that a part of the front side need to have a 11° angel, and it is also mentioned till which lenght.
But what I miss, is the information if this 11° goes flattened down to the B-mark or is it a straight cut into the wood at the B-mark of the plan??
stem-11° angel.png
Looking forward to hear from you guys.
A good life is a collection of happy moments ~Dennis Waitley~

JimmY

Re: Building the PeeWee in Germany

Post by JimmY » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:42 am

Hi Tijan,

Section B-B is a typical cross section along the full length of the stem. The note says that this is to aid in the fairing process, so you can cut this now while you can work on the stem as a single piece, or later when you are fairing the frames prior to sheeting it. If you have a bandsaw, this would be an easy cut to make. Keep in mind that this will just help reduce the amount of wood you will need to fair from the stem later, and the 11 degrees will probably not be constant along the entire stem to get the plywood sheeting to lay flat on it. Look at the breasthook, the angle at the front of the boat looks to be about 90 degrees between the sheers, so the stem will need to be faired ~45 degrees on each side at that point for the plywood to mate with it. Also look at the angle on the bottom of the frame that the stem mounts to. I bet this angle is much flatter, so the stem will only need a small amount of material removed in that area. The angle will change all along the length of the stem. If you are unsure, I would just leave it square for now and plan on fairing the stem once the framing is completed (frames, chines, sheers, keel, etc...).
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Tijan

Post by Tijan » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:03 am

Hey JimmY,

thank you for your quick respond. I think I will do it as you mentioned, cut the stem, when applying the plywood.

I was a bit confused about the angel and not sure if it should be done before (= more easy) but what you say.
Doing thing before it is installed is probably the right way, bit if it later don't fit it will be pitty.

Yes, I have acces to a big amount of diffrent tools...… till now such sandings I mostly did with a hand-grinder :oops:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:35 am

Tijan

Welcome.

I don't fair the stem until the frames and the sheer, keel, and chine are almost on and mounted on the build form. Once their on the form, if you can locate the Bow Eye, it is easier to drill that hole into a square surface than a pointed one. After the planking goes on you can re-drill the hole from the inside. I take a lone wood strip and bend it across the frames to set the angle on the stem.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Tijan

Post by Tijan » Fri May 03, 2019 6:20 am

It's me again;)

Meanwhile all frames, dash beam, strong back, stem, breast hook, bottom batten etc. are cut.

While the plans are very detailed, I got a bit confused, regarding the skeg ... .. I wear glasses, but somehow can not find
the drawing of the skeg on the plan. Is it me, or does the skeg need to be designed / drawn "free handed" ??

Looking forward to hear from you guys.

btw. a movie of the construction is in the making ;)

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Fri May 03, 2019 7:07 am

You may need to design the skeg yourself. I would look at other PeeWee's out there or poll other builders as to what they did. There might be a suggestion in the build instructions as to the location and rough size. Sometimes the outboard motor manual has suggestions to avoid turbulence.

It does appear that a skeg is drawn on the side view of the design. You might be able to estimate the size, length and location off the drawing.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Fri May 03, 2019 9:26 am

Hi Tijan,

It is the same on the Squirt, the skeg is kind of left to the builder. I search around here to see what others had done. On thing I learned was to cut the end of the skeg about 12" (~30cm) in front of the transom to avoid turbulence into the propeller. I'm not sure how critical this is on this size boat and power, but there were a few posts on this subject. Also the skeg is optional but it can help reduce side slipping while turning. You might want a little side slipping if you are building a "fun" boat, or if it is just slow cruiser it may not matter.

My skeg is made from white oak and is NOT fiberglassed. I glued it in place after the hull was glassed and added a few screws from the top through the keel to help secure it. By not glassing it, it makes it easier to repair or replace if it gets damaged. My skeg is 1/2" wide, starts at 1/2" high and tapers up to ~ 2" or 2 1/2", and then the last 8" to 12" tapers down to 1" high. All edges are just rounded over and there is no streamlined shaping.
-Jim

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri May 03, 2019 9:32 am

You may want to consider solid vinyl for the skeg. It will probably get run on to the boat ramp or beach. I would only make it 25 to 30mm high.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Tijan

Conversion of #15 nail into metrics

Post by Tijan » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:59 am

I got a few weeks "off" due to work, so littel till no progress at all.

But I got a new question :roll:

And it's about the size of the nails. In the bill of materials is written
3/4" #15 ……… what size is a #15 nail?? I can't find any Information about it on the internet.

So, if somebody can tell me what a 3/4" #15 is in cm, I would be thankfull!!

Thanks in Advance for your Response(s)

TomB

Post by TomB » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:14 am

0.072 inches, about 1.8 mm. Tom

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:04 pm

We have some other random conversion info on our site here:
https://www.glen-l.com/weblettr/weblett ... etric.html

Tijan

Question regarding the Transom

Post by Tijan » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:05 am

Slowly I make progress.....
This week I build up the building form and put the already finished frames into their postion.
But a new question came up, it's about the transom. On the drawing, a "3/4" Plywood Motor Board" is added to the transom.

Due to the fact that on the most lakes in my area, fuel power outboard enginees, are forbiden (due to enviromantal reasons), I want to use a electrical powerd outboarder. Is this 3/4" Plywood Motor Board still necessary?? Because I guess that board is special for the normal fuel powered outboard enginees, or am I wrong??

Even tho I want to take the boat with us to our trips to my father in law in Poland (man, there are great huge lakes), I still want to use the electrical outboarde. Actually I build it for our kids and due to the fact that our youngest one is a magnet for accidents..... I concider a slow electrical outboard enginee for safety reasons ;)

btw. Big thank you, to everyone how till now respond. I'm positiv surprised how fast you guys responds with good advice.

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:25 am

Typically the motor board is there to provide enough thickness for the motor to clamp to and support the vibrating gas engine. If you are going for a slow, low powered electric outboard, you may be able to leave this off. I would check out the clamps on the intended motor to make sure you don't need the thickness.
-Jim

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:46 pm

I would go ahead and add the motor board. It's easier to do it now than to add it later.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:34 pm

I go with Matt.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Small outboards”