Building the Zip with the NEW Zip Complete Wood Parts Kit

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Roberta

Re: Building the Zip with the NEW Zip Complete Wood Parts Kit

Post by Roberta »

The decking is included. It is reversible so you can choose a smooth finish or routed caulk line pattern. Sections are finger jointed for a good fit.

Check the kit out in the Glen L store.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

PWDULA

Post by PWDULA »

Coming Along!
Attachments
IMG_3532.JPG
IMG_3530.JPG

PWDULA

Post by PWDULA »

Plan to order new floor and seat kit, in the mean time started to wire boat.
Attachments
IMG_3776.JPG

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

The dash looks like a 70’s Trans Am, cool
Matt B

PWDULA

Post by PWDULA »

Well it has been cold here in Maryland, so boat building is pretty much at a halt, it will warm up, still planning a May/June Launch!!!

TAB

Post by TAB »

i am wondering, what are you going to do for fuel tanks?

are you just going to do the generic 3-6 gallon red tank that people often used for small outboards? even building a wood box( with a small vent fan) would look a lot better then they do.

then again i could totally see a polished mooney style tank. in stainless ofc :mrgreen:

then again the way my sick brain works, i would love to find an old race gas 5 gallon can, cut the bottom out, get a fuel bladder and run that as my fuel tank.

PWDULA

Post by PWDULA »

Planing on 12 gal permanent below deck tank by Moeller. Looks like several Zip builders went this way
Peter

TAB

Post by TAB »

PWDULA wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:04 am
Planing on 12 gal permanent below deck tank by Moeller. Looks like several Zip builders went this way
Peter
That seems like a lot of weight to added to the boat. Full thats about 80# a 40 hp merc burns about 4 gallons per hour at wot. Granted you dont have to fill it. I would be very intrested in what that would do to the water line, time to plane and ride angle with the tank full vs half full. I am totally ok with only a a few hour putting around the lake before i need to buy fuel. For me, exploring some isolated coves and stoping for a picnic is what i am looking for in boating. In other words get away from the world for a few hours.

I am just getting ready build a new house. My next project is either a bullet or zip kit. I recently sold my business. I could retire at this point and be fine. Not working feels so strange.

PWDULA

Post by PWDULA »

TAB, You are correct about 80# full fuel, I planning on a Yamaha 25, weighs in about 145-150#, so I think balance would be alright VUpilot looks like a similar setup I plan on using.
Peter

TAB

Post by TAB »

If i build a zip i would like to put a 60 on it. I know i am over powering the boat by a lot. So i will have to do some reinforcement, but the diffrence between a 40 hp merc and a 60 hp merc is only 14 lbs.

I have always owned hot rodded boats. Does not mater if it was a laser or a purpose built modifed vtunnel. Its a sickness, the only cure is running out of money.

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

TAB,

Seems odd to worry about a 12 gallon tank when you plan a 60hp motor? :shock: Are you planning a NEW 60hp motor? I show the differrence being more like 40lbs comparing a new 40 to a new 60? Also, the 40hp the modern engines are enormous in physical size as well as weight when compared to the old 2-strokes these boats were designed around in 1954 which weighed about 120 lbs. A new 60 is showing 247 lbs. All that extra weight is as far aft as it can go, add in a marine battery and I'm getting scared to think about it. Let alone all that weight bouncing down the highway off the back of the trailer which is where it makes me most nervous even in my case.

The fuel weight of the under bow tank sits about 35% aft from the bow, a desirable spot forward of the center of buoyancy to offset my 150lb motor. For taking the boat to the Gathering river run its a 1hr 10 min ride to get downtown on the river. 33 miles at 28mph. The 12 gallon tank means you can do that round trip with 40hp nearly wide open with enough reserve. Other than the Gathering I seldom filled the tank. If I were to build a Zip again I would definitely do the 12 gallon tank under the foredeck again, I would also actually just go with a brand new 25hp motor. I think its a good match for a Zip with my family of 3 passengers, albeit certainly now overpowered, I would also do one of the new super lightweight cranking batteries.

If you plan on a 60hp I would encourage you to look at Tom Drakes Zip with a early 2000's 40 hp on board and look at how deep the aft part of the boat is sitting. I believe his fuel tank is also aft of the rear seat not in the bow like the others pictured Thats a 216 lb motor. Below that is my Zip with a 150lb Mercury 402 and similar passenger load. The third picture if of a Zip with a Honda 45 4-stroke at 214 lbs and nobody in the back seat. I'm showing a new 60hp is 247lbs

When you look at a Zip in those pictures I think its easy to see just how small the boat physically is and how huge a 60 would be on it.

Just sharing my opinions and experiences so hopefully others can make decisions with as much info as possible.
untitled.png
Gathering 2010 065.jpg
untitled.png
Attachments
DSCN1631 - Copy.JPG

TAB

Post by TAB »

I actually already have the motor. in the mid 90s merc made a "30 hp" 2 cycle for a racing class. it was actually their 60 hp with a restricter plate.(our plate some how fell off on the way to the race :mrgreen: ) its been in the family since it was new. it is 219# with out a prop. a new 40 hp 2 cycle from merc is 205# ( 93kg). the new 4 cycles are extremely large and very expensive.

the motor is a stock 60 hp power head from that time,a restricker plate, rejeted carbs with a light weight mid and lower. i removed the restricker plate the same day we hung it on the back of boat, and a good friend of my grandfathers who raced everything from air planes to snow mobiles, tunned the carbs. the boat was ran by my uncle and grandfather for 2 years, retired when the motor was outlawed( something about being 60hp in a 30hp class) the motor has been on 3 boats. the race boat a 14'6" runabout, and an al fishing boat. it has 400 hours on it.

I am not a fan of bow tanks. they tend to effect small boats very badly.

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Well, at least we can agree that a new 60 4 stroke is extremely large, glad you weren't considering that.... Back to PWDULA's build.

PWDULA

Post by PWDULA »

Update, Should have Floor and Seat Kit in May, In the Mean time I have added Faux Line 2.5 inches apart, Kit come at 5 inch spacing, I like how they turned out, as I am trying to keep the boat as light as possible, Deck will be stained with Red Mahogany and the Faux Line filled with Cream Gel coat. with a fiberglass finish and clearcoat, looking for a now August launch or whenever, the world gets to our new normal!! STAY HOME and STAY SAFE
Peter
Attachments
IMG_4660.JPG
IMG_4659.JPG
IMG_4658.JPG

Return to “Small outboards”