1958 Celeron

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Toopilot

1958 Celeron

Post by Toopilot » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:38 am

Well Guys,
Well guys I know this is not a Glen L but I still have plans for a Cracker Box that I will get started after this. Seems th fiberglassics forum is not that helpful s here we go. My wife has been after this boat for a long time. Owner wanted too much money for it. It was his fathers and is a one owner boat. Finally got to a number we both liked and now it is in my garage. Plan to take everything off the boat remove the seats so I can get the floor up sanded and painted. As for everything else I will sand all of that too and was wondering what I should put back on it? Is there a source for all the original decals, stickers and badges? For the fiberglass I am sure I cannot get the yellowing out at this point. Should I take it somewhere and get it painted? Really want to make this like new. Once I get it off the trailer will have that sandblasted and I have access to a paint booth. Two more things. Any source for the rubber molding at the bottom of the windshield and a source for the rub rail. Is the spot light a stock item?
Sorry just my mind is very ADD/OCD LOL Sorry about the pitures being upside down they show right side up when I dragged and dropped them but when you click on them they are right side up
Thanks in advance!
Tim
Attachments
IMG_6843.jpg
IMG_6839.jpg
IMG_6836.jpg

billy c

Re: 1958 Celeron

Post by billy c » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:04 am

Tim is the hull and deck fiberglass? The wood trim and cockpit area looks to be in pretty good shape, maybe a light sanding and then varnish to protect it again.
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Toopilot

Post by Toopilot » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:28 pm

Hull is fiberglass. What’s the best varnish to use?
Thanks,
Tim

Ibrew2be

Post by Ibrew2be » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:36 pm

Tim:
Here are some suggestions in response to some of your questions.

A source that a number of builders have used for stainless steel rub rail is http://www.marineind.net/index.htm

In terms of varnishes, there seems to be a range of opinions on the forum as to which one is "best". I used Epifanes and was pleased with the results. Others have posted that they really liked Pettit Captain’s Z-spar 1015. Still others recommend 2-part polyurethane instead of spar varnish.

I've gone rooting through my notes, but can't find anything on sources for the rubber gasket material that goes at the bottom of a windshield. Perhaps someone else will weigh in.

I agree with your assessment that yellowing of the fiberglass will need to be covered. I remember from my long ago days working in the polyester resin industry that over time, polyester can yellow, and it's more than just a surface effect.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched. Thinking hard about Boat 2.0

Toopilot

Post by Toopilot » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:55 pm

Thanks Barry!

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:14 am

Try Classic Boat Connection for the windshield trim. I know they stock a couple sizes, just not sure if its the same as what you need. https://www.classicboatconnection.com/ http://www.classicboatconnection.com/wi ... s_trim.pdf

Looks like a great boat to bring back to life.

Return to “Small outboards”