Opinions...

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

pdactyl

Opinions...

Post by pdactyl » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:02 am

Hello, everyone.

So, will spare the details, but, had my boat shipped from Georgia to North Carolina in May and was in storage for a few months until delivery.

Filled with nasty water and noticed this split (appears to be just the fiberglass) running from practically stem to stern.

After draining all water, interior of the boat looks good, but, noticed some spots where the keel and laminated piece of marine ply has separated.

Do you think this could be a simple fix with some sanding, fiberglass, epoxy...or does it seem like there might be some more serious issues internally and inbetween the keel and hull?

Thanks
Pdactyl
Attachments
Underside Split of Boat 2.JPG
Underside Split of Boat.JPG

Roberta

Re: Opinions...

Post by Roberta » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:13 am

I think you should remove everything on the bottom to bare wood and let it dry out and reseal with Smiths CPES and redo the bottom. Inspect the wood and joinery for any damage. Also reseal the hull interior. Looks to me that the water soaked right through the hull and maybe froze causing the fiberglass to burst open.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

pdactyl

Post by pdactyl » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:39 am

Thanks, Roberta. Definitely didn't freeze, but, with the amount of mosquito larvae in the hull, wish it did!

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:02 am

After I posted, I realized that the dates and location probably didn't lead to freezing. Maybe wood swelling? Is the glass cloth split or is it just paint peeling? Hope it isn't as bad as it looks. Was it stored outside and uncovered?

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

pdactyl

Post by pdactyl » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:06 am

I think wood swelling definitely occurred. The glass cloth is split and I have some more work to do in figuring out if the split stops with the glass or if the actual 1/4 marine ply layer is split as well.

So, based on the condition when delivered, and not only with the water in the boat, but, some sun damage on some of the other parts, have to believe it was definitely stored outside.

Hindsight, probably should have drilled drain holes. But, unless the boat is stored where the water is flowing down towards the transom...

I think some water got inbetween the keel and outer paint layer and because there was so much water inside the boat, when it was towed, any little bump in the road could have created so much pressure on the inside and that pressure had nowhere to go.

It definitely looks bad. Something a 12-pack couldn't even fix!

Return to “Small outboards”