Squirt Frame 2 - Lost already !

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Keelkicker

Squirt Frame 2 - Lost already !

Post by Keelkicker » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:05 pm

Hi

Just trying to cut the frames for the Squirt but can't seem to work out Frame 2.

In the photo below should the frame end at the yellow pencil line, or should it extend to the blue pointer line ?? It looks like it should go to the blue line (which seems to line up with the arm on the top of the frame) but then why the irregular shape, and what's the yellow pencil line ??

I think that that the stem abuts the frame and then goes forward, and the keel is notched into the top of it, but the rest of the lines ?? Im a bit lost here...

Any help would be appreciated !

cheers

Mark
Attachments
Squirt Frame 2.jpg

Hercdrvr

Re: Squirt Frame 2 - Lost already !

Post by Hercdrvr » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:47 am

You are looking at two separate pieces. Yes, the piece of frame where the yellow pencil is pointing ends there. The blue pointer is the floor timber (separate piece of wood). The whole frame is 5 pieces plus the 2 gussets. It will all make sense when you cut your pieces out and assemble them.
You’re right on track, keep moving forward.
Matt B

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:07 am

Hi Mark,

Herc is correct. The bottom piece of frame two is made from 3 pieces of wood. The floor timber spans across the keel/stem and the two other pieces are glued to it with a gap between them for the stem. This is the best photo I could find of my frame two assembly. The floor timber is on top and you can see how the other two pieces are positioned with the gap between them.

DO NOT make the floor timber in two pieces, it needs to tie the left and right frame pieces together!
20160911_184809.jpg
Then you add the last two up rights and gussets and deck beam.
20160917_173404.jpg
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Keelkicker

Post by Keelkicker » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:55 pm

Hi. And the light shines in ! Thanks so much for the direction - it is clear to me now !! I suppose it shoulda been from the get go, but ....

Thanks for your tips too Jim on the other thread - all noted for future reference :-)

cheers

Mark

Return to “Small outboards”