Minnesota Squirt Build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

brockj

Re: Minnesota Squirt Build

Post by brockj »

Thanks Jim, I spent some time last night going through a few different builds people did and saw some pictures. I agree it doesn't look bad if neatly done. I think I will go that route as well. Once I have the wiring cleaned up I will post some pictures. I also need to find some time and do a few coats of WR-LPU clear on the dash and floor area before going much further, might be this weekends tasks.

brockj

Post by brockj »

I have been apparently too busy the last few weeks to post any pics, so I will correct that now! Have the wiring pretty much all in place, was able to put some clear coats on the cockpit area, build the hatch, and begin fairing for the sub-deck.

Hatch:.
IMG_7391.jpg
IMG_7392.jpg
Empty dash:
IMG_7393.jpg

brockj

Post by brockj »

Being short on space and since it was a beautiful day January day in MN, decided to pull it out and clean up the work space:
IMG_7397.jpg
IMG_7398.jpg
IMG_7399.jpg

brockj

Post by brockj »

a couple more:
IMG_7401.jpg
IMG_7402.jpg
IMG_7403.jpg

brockj

Post by brockj »

And finally, since it was so nice today I decided to start cutting the sub-deck:

I only had one 8-foot sheet of plywood left, but two half sheets. On the starboard side I placed a small piece right at the bow and there will be a second to go over the controls. I would have wanted to do a separate piece over the controls anyway.
IMG_7405.jpg
IMG_7406.jpg
IMG_7407.jpg

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Looking Great!! This is what our beautiful January day was like today.

Roberta :lol:
Attachments
20210131_164410.jpg
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

brockj

Post by brockj »

Thought we were getting 3-5 inches last night, ended up with a dusting, apparently missed us and got you! I am guessing the temp got up to 32 today, took advantage of the weather to also scrap the driveway clean, more snow this week, but I suppose it is winter.

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Hi Joe,

You are making good progress. It was about the same for us here in Michigan, supposed to be 3 to 6" ended up with a dusting. :roll:

Did you add the support under your forward deck? The plans call out a support from the center deck beam down to the stem. It is cheap insurance for when you have to hop on the deck when coming in, or taking on a passenger. Also, I ended up adding seat supports on all of the battens. I see you only have them in the center and edges. I found that I end up stepping in on the seat between the middle and sides, and mine had some flex when doing this. Again it is cheap insurance if you end up having to jump in for some reason. The deck support you should add before installing the deck, the seat support can wait to see if you need it or not.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

brockj

Post by brockj »

I have not added the support to the deck yet, I still have to route some of the wiring and a few other tasks before I glue down the decking. Same thing with the hatch, battery tray. I just wanted to take advantage of the weather since my saws are in the garage, it was a good day to pull everything out and make the preliminary cuts. Weather is showing a big change for next weekend, as of the now the high on Sunday is -4 with a low of -19, definitely don't want to be running the saws outside in that kind of weather!! Either way I still have a bit of work to do under the deck before the deck with be adhered.

Otter

Post by Otter »

Well, you were spot on with your weather prediction...-19 this morning. The siding on my house is popping like a bowl of Rice Krispies!
Chris Otterness
Building a Ski-Bass

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

This is where I'll be today!

Roberta :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Attachments
20210207_070251.jpg

brockj

Post by brockj »

Right there with you!
weather.jpg
I did just turn the heat on, maybe in an hour or two I can be down there without a jacket!

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

We were about minus 13 F this AM. Wind chill was scary.

Heating the hangar to go out and finish insulating the big hangar door after 27 years. :lol:

Roberta :D

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Wow, that's cold. My temp was +11 F. Must seem balmy to you guys, except some how Lisa turned off the boiler last night. House was cold this morning without heat.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

brockj

Post by brockj »

Picked up my motor yesterday, 1975 Johnson 25HP, came with electric start, but figuring out the conversion from tiller to steering. I am finding a bit of information online, but one question I am wrestling with is should I go with the OMC Transom Bracket kit 172645, or just get the teleflex tube and mount it myself? Any recommendations from other squirt builders out there? The motor frame is not designed to allow a steering tube, and I would rather not go through the hassle of changing that out.

Also ordered up the material for the decking. The place I bought all of my lumber from was willing to resaw it to rough 1/2", will need to take it down a bit from there to get it smooth, but I believe it will work out fine. Being that my bandsaw is not really the best, I figured the $35 for resawing was money well spent.

Return to “Small outboards”