nail or screw transom to building form?

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Jim Anderson

nail or screw transom to building form?

Post by Jim Anderson »

Getting ready to start building. Does it matter to nail or screw the transom to the building form?

Steve B.

Re: nail or screw transom to building form?

Post by Steve B. »

I screwed mine to the form. Since I laminated a skin over the transom while it was still on the form, I was not able to unscrew the transom from the form when it was time to flip. In hindsight I would have used finished nails and just cut them off when removing the boat from the building form. Best of luck on your build! Be sure to post here often!

Steve B.
Building a ZZZIP!

Jim Anderson

Post by Jim Anderson »

Thanks for that Steve. Now you got me thinking more about it. I'll be sheathing the transom while it's still on the form.

Jim Anderson

Post by Jim Anderson »

Found some similar responses from Roberta and others from 2014. I think I'll screw it temporarily into the form, then as transom frames and knee are built and attached to transom, take out the screws in the form, or at least prior to sheathing. Maybe some clamps after removing screws.

Steve B.

Post by Steve B. »

I think the most challenging part of this boatbuilding is "thinking ahead" like this. I have decades of woodworking experience, but this is my first boat. Sometimes thinking about what's next can help me figure out what to do now!
Building a ZZZIP!

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Leave it attached until after you have the sheers, chines, battens, and keel installed. Then you can back the screws out, fill the holes and do whatever you want.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Jim Anderson

Post by Jim Anderson »

Thanks Steve and Hoodman...I'm starting to get it. Fa'afetai! (thanks in Samoan)

Steve B.

Post by Steve B. »

Also (although you didn't ask! LOL) be sure that your breasthook is screwed down in a manner that will let you unscrew it from the base after the hull is complete. I had it screwed vertically on to the base but then read a tip here to screw it in from the side--where you can access it by reaching under the hull. So I removed the vertical screws and replaced them with screws that were driven horizontally (eg. parallel to the floor). Hope this helps! :D
Building a ZZZIP!

Jim Anderson

Post by Jim Anderson »

Didn't think about that end yet, thanks Steve.

Return to “Small outboards”