Moderator: ttownshaw

DrBryanJ

Re: Electro Squirt build, East Nassau NY

Post by DrBryanJ »

Nice work on the fiberglass.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

xoo000oox

Post by xoo000oox »

Thank you Dr!

So I let that first coat set up for five hours and just rolled on another coat. I'm pleased with the results, my YouTube education is paying off.

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Nice job!
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

xoo000oox

Post by xoo000oox »

Thanks JimmY!

Just rolled on a third coat this morning and put it out in the sun so that I'm able to use that lift to make some money- I've got a motor to pay for! These additional coats are quick, fun, and easy, nothing like the first one! I'm so glad to have that step out of the way.

here you can kinda see the reflection of my Ghia, this is just with three coats, no sanding in between.

I'm very pleased with myself with the way the lines have come out, having never done a project like this I wasn't sure how the results were going to be, I'm a mechanic not a woodworker.

xoo000oox

Post by xoo000oox »

So I let that last coat harden up for about 30 hours and then went over it with 80 grit on my DA sander to flatten it down and just rolled on another coat......

xoo000oox

Post by xoo000oox »

Here's a walkaround, not perfect but I'm happy with it.

https://youtu.be/yNGgtG8eUOk

What are the thoughts on using automotive clearcoat rather than varnish to top coat the epoxy?

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Epoxy looks good. Use a longboard to get it flat.

There is a thread on using automotive paints, and what you really want is the UV protection. As long as it is not going to be in the water 24/7 they are fine.
-Jim

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

You might not be a woodworker but you are a boatbuilder now.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

kens

Post by kens »

auto-spray clears are good. auto-spray paint is good, just that I wouldnt put it on the bottom.
Nice work there. you have it faired nicely.
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

xoo000oox

Post by xoo000oox »

Thanks for the comments guys! I'm still debating on the varnish/ clear-coat thing. I'll thing about it for a while.
We took a ride up to Lake George yesterday and met with Matt O'Harra of Queen Boat Company, their marina is on the South-East corner of the lake. I picked up the Epropulsion Navy 6.0 that I had ordered and Matt gave us a tour of their facility and boats including their very cool Canadian Electric boat. Matt has been extremely good to work with, very quick with replies to all my questions, ordered the motor I wanted without even a deposit and his price was right in line with the lowest price I've seen for these on the web.

We made a day out of the trip, after picking up my motor we had a beautiful hike up Buck Mountain then back to Lake George Village for lunch at a cool tavern on the lake, then a quick dip in the lake.

xoo000oox

Post by xoo000oox »

I got the skeg thingy put on. I used oak and coated it with epoxy. I decided to just epoxy it on, no screws or nails.

xoo000oox

Post by xoo000oox »

Here's an interesting factoid. I live full time in an off-grid house, my total money spent on batteries for my house is right around $1000. For my house I am using 6 6-Volt lead/acid golf-cart type batteries outside in an enclosure and one 12-Volt marine battery inside to act as a buffer. I have spent a total of $2401 towards batteries for this boat so far.
For the boat I wanted to have two battery packs. This way I could bring both of them with me to the lake and leave one in the tow vehicle and swap them out if/when needed or if I planned a long trip I could bring both of them. I'm going with the Lifepo4 lithium iron for the boat to keep the size and weight down as much as I can. I ended up buying a 48v 120ah complete battery and am building a 48v 100ah battery myself with cells from Ali-express.

xoo000oox

Post by xoo000oox »

......................................................I leveled up the boat on my lift, marked the line 2" up from the bottom of the transom and used a laser level to mark out the water line.

.......................................................I put on 2 coats of Total Boat JD Select bottom side paint.

.......................................................Then after that sat for 24 hours, flipped it!

.......................................................I looked back at my records, My plans were mailed out February 2, 2021 and I started working on it as soon as I got them, so it's about 10 weeks of working on the boat in my spare time at this point. If it weren't for Covid, I would be no where near this point. If you can't go out and socialize, you might as well build a boat. Flipping it over was pretty uneventful, no gathering of neighbors and making a party out of it. I just put an old heavy blanket on the ground and tipped it up on the transom and then lowered it to the ground.

kens

Post by kens »

that looks nice, you are really moving fast on a build
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Congratulations on the flip. Now the fun starts.
-Jim

Return to “Small outboards”