Electro Squirt build, East Nassau NY

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

xoo000oox

Electro Squirt build, East Nassau NY

Post by xoo000oox »

Hello, I just ordered my plans in January, progress is good so far. Right now I'm dryfitting the side panels.
My plan is to power the Squirt by battery. I ordered cells to build a 100ah 48v battery, I am probably going to go with a motor from Elco, possibly Torqeedo.

Roberta

Re: Electro Squirt build, East Nassau NY

Post by Roberta »

Welcome aboard! Progress looks good. Keep posting.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Welcome, nice Squirt you have going there.

There is an electric TNT or Bullet that was recently posted. You might reach out to that builder if you have questions on the power system. Do you have restrictions at your lake, or do you just like electric power?
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

xoo000oox

Post by xoo000oox »

A lot of the smaller lakes near me are electric only. I really like the idea of the lack of noise and gas/oil. I live in an off grid house and love using solar power- no noise, no moving parts, no pollution. There doesn’t really seem to be many boats using electric power other than trolling motors , I’m wondering if this will change soon with the advancements in batteries and more lakes restricting gas motors.

I got both the side panels screwed and epoxied in place! Next, on to the bottom panels. I have them both roughed out already, hopefully get some more time on it tomorrow.
The plans call for using two pieces of ply for the top, I don’t see any reason why it can’t be done with one sheet covering the bow so as to not have the seam going down the middle. Anyone do it that way?

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

We had a discussion on electric power a few weeks ago, and the cost is still pretty high for less performance than a gas engine. As an engineer, it is interesting problem to solve. There are several electric car conversion kits and suppliers out there that you might look at for batteries and controllers.

The Squirt is wider than 48", so a single 4'x8' sheet will not span the deck. If you lay the plywood sideways, you will have a joint at the dashboard between the foredeck and the sides with nothing to support it (unless you add some blocking), and I'm not sure if the foredeck is longer than 4' or not. Also the deck is a compound curve which curves fore/aft and side to side, so you will have issues bending a single sheet of 1/4" plywood without it puckering. When you fit the center seam, you will see that it needs to be a bit of a curve on each piece to meet up tight.

I think you also get better use of the material by cutting both halves of the deck from one sheet of plywood. The parts should nest pretty well with minimal waste. If you try one sheet across the bow you will end up with two triangle offcuts that won't be much use elsewhere on the boat.
-Jim

xoo000oox

Post by xoo000oox »

Thanks JimmY, I would like to see that discussion on electric motors, where could I find it? You're right about the top panel, for some reason I was thinking it was just under 48", thanks for setting me straight. I'm a mechanic, not normally a wood worker- I just got into woodwork about a year ago. I am really enjoying it being on that automotive lift- I can easily raise and lower it depending on what part I'm working on.

Painting the bottom- Is there a reason it needs to be done? How do you come up with the line to do it? It looks like everyone is using their own line.

Andrew-

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Why everyone paints the bottom? I don't know. Tradition? More protection? Where to stop the paint? The plans should specify a water line. You can paint to there or 1' above or 2" above. etc. Your preference.

I think the electric power discussion was here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=35877
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Hi Andrew,

There is an "Electric Barrelback" topic in the electric power forum. On a larger boat the cost is more than a conventional engine, and on a smaller boat, I think the battery weight starts to be a concern. There is also the issue of mixing electricity and water. Anything over 42V DC will shock a person, and the larger boats are using well over 100V. I'm an automotive, electrical engineer and I know Teslas and other electric vehicles have safety systems to open the battery contactors in a crash or other emergencies, so a similar system would be needed in a boat.

As far as painting the bottom, the epoxy encapsulation will need some sort of protection from UV (the bottom less so) and epoxy is not 100% impermeable if I recall, so some kind of protection is required. Clear is definitely a possibility, but most builders add some color. If your building form, er... lift, is level you can use a laser level or some other method to mark the water line. I rigged up a stand with a long pointer set at the waterline height, and just moved it around the boat and marked it. The long pointer was needed to reach the bottom near the bow. If I recall correctly, I measured 4" up on the transom from the center bottom for my water line and it is pretty close. Since then I've added a 1 1/2" boot stripe above the bottom paint, but this sits above the water.
20170402_162336.jpg
-Jim

xoo000oox

Post by xoo000oox »

Thanks for the info guys, I read the talk on the electric barrelback, it's related but not exactly what I'm thinking of doing, that one being inboard and mine will have an outboard. The battery I'm working one should weigh just under 100lbs, still not sure what motor I want to go with. I like the simplicity of the Elco, but I also like the idea of the Torqeedo and Epropulsion being direct drive. I still need to educate myself on it some more.
I don't remember seeing anything about the waterline on the prints, I'll check again. I'll have to figure out what I want to do for the paint.

Trailers for the Squirt- Has anyone tried using a jet-ski trailer? It seems like the Squirt will weigh less than what many PWCs are.

xoo000oox

Post by xoo000oox »

Side panels are screwed and glued, bottom panels are dry screwed. Hopefully I'll have time to take the bottoms tomorrow and epoxy them on. We're making great progress!

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Moving right along.

Jetski trailer is a good option for the Squirt. I bought a used Karavan jetski trailer off of Craigslist and put new 2x4 bunks and a roller support under the keel right about where the bottom paint ends. The winch post needed to be moved forward as well, but it fits fine and rides well. Seems like there is always a trailer for sale on the local Craigslist after people blow up the motor in their ski. Small rowboat trailer is another good option.
-Jim

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

If you haven't already, you should check out this discussion viewtopic.php?f=14&t=27067. You could reach out to shandman. He may be able to answer some of your questions. Boat is looking good.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

xoo000oox

Post by xoo000oox »

Thanks for the trailer info JimmY, I'll be keeping my eyes open for one to come up.

Thanks for the link DrBryan, I think I will try to contact him.

Side and bottom panels are screwed and glued! Now I've got to take it off that lift and bring in something that will help pay the bills!

xoo000oox

Post by xoo000oox »

So I’ve been reading everything I can and watching every YouTube video I can find about electric outboards. It seems there is little good information on them. I really want to like the Elco company but they’re making it difficult for me. Try watching some of their adds on YouTube, it’ll just show a boat driving on the water and not tell you anything about their products. I contacted their sales rep guy who happens to live only an hour away from me, he’s very vague with his replies and slow to get back to me.
Help me out here if you can, I’ve never owned a boat other than a kayak and a couple jet skis. It seems to me a 10hp gas motor on a boat like the Squirt has no trouble getting up to about 20mph, and all the videos I’ve watch on the Elco 10hp will only go about 10mph or so.
I asked the Elco guy what I could expect for top speed from the EP-9.9, EP-14, and the EP-20 and this is what he told me......

“Hey Andrew
What type of Hull is the 10’ boat is it a RIB and Jon Boat? Lake boat? Launch? - Typically we are shooting for displacement speeds not planing but with a super light hull like you are mentioning you’ll be anywhere from

EP 20 - 6-10MPH.

EP14 in the 4-8MPH and

the 9.9 you’ll be in the 4-6MPH”

A 20hp motor only able to push this little boat to possibly 10mph?
Does this seem odd to anyone else?

Andrew-

kens

Post by kens »

yeah, that seems strange. I clicked on their website and the models numbers say they are comparable HP.
If that holds true then the 9.9 should get 20mph similar as you suggest.
Another thing, how much does the battery weigh?
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

Return to “Small outboards”