Handles to carry a Squirt

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

xoo000oox

Handles to carry a Squirt

Post by xoo000oox »

I want to be able to easily carry my Squirt to be able to get it into a couple local lakes. I plan to do it in three steps- the boat, the battery, and the motor. The hull should weigh somewhere around 120lbs. I'm planning on putting handles on the boat to make it easier. How would you do it? What do you think the best location for them would be and what type of a handle can I use that will still look classy?

JimmY

Re: Handles to carry a Squirt

Post by JimmY »

I have two stainless steel handles on my transom (near the top on each side of the motor). They are bolted through the transom and have fender washers on the inside. I use them to secure the back of the boat on the trailer, but have lifted the boat by these and they are plenty strong.

There are several types of bow handles, that would look right on a Squirt such as...
images.jpg
images.jpg (4.59 KiB) Viewed 814 times
Again, it should be through bolted with fender washers on the inside. Going through the breasthook and deck strong back should be a solid connection. Regular wood screws could pull out.

I think these three points should be sufficient for moving the Squirt. It is kind of awkward and I would recommend 3 people, one on each handle, to move it safely.

You might consider a dolly for moving it if you don't plan on having the man power every time you need to move it. These are available for row boats, kayaks, canoes, etc..., or it would be easy to make one. You could use "off-road" tires if the terrain is rough. A dolly could be as simple as a set of wheel that could be strapped under the rear of the boat, and you grab the handle up front. Even if you have the man power available, pushing something on wheels may be easier than carrying it. This way you might also be able to move it with the motor attached.
s-l640.jpg
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

xoo000oox

Post by xoo000oox »

Thanks for the tips JimmY, that dolly does look like it could be handy. Some of the lakes here do not have boat launches and specify electric propulsion only for motor boats.
Do you happen to know what your boat would weigh without the motor and fuel tank?

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

I don't have an exact weight, but it feels similar to my old laser sailboat which is 150lbs for the hull. My Squirt is fiberglassed from sheer to sheer and has a 3/16" mahogany deck, which adds some weight. 125lbs should be possible forbade Squirt built to the plans.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Return to “Small outboards”