Fairing Issue

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Jim Anderson

Fairing Issue

Post by Jim Anderson »

In fairing the chines, risers, and sheers for side planking, I had to trim the chines from form #3 (most forward form) to the stem to only 1/4" thick on the bottom edge. It looks too thin for bottom planking. I didn't get the importance of beveling the form notches, so the chine stuck out too far. I think I can laminate a 1/2" doubler to the chine (whole length) on the inside by cutting back the form notches. Sound OK?

Roberta

Re: Fairing Issue

Post by Roberta »

Often longitudinal pieces get faired to triangular shapes and get pretty thin to get fair. Perfectly OK to add laminated backing to regain strength. Sometimes you need to add to the outside and re-fair. Fairness and symmetry is what you want.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Roberta is correct and brings up a good point on symmetry. Measure from your centerline to each sheer and chine midway between the last frame and the bow. Make sure the measurements are equal and make adjustments now, or this can affect your deck layout.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Jim Anderson

Post by Jim Anderson »

Thanks Roberta and Jimmy. I'll take your advice and check the center line abeam measurements and compensate if necessary now. Learning a lot, this is fun stuff.

Return to “Small outboards”