Is a 4 Stroke too heavy for a Pee Wee?

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

PCarpentier

Is a 4 Stroke too heavy for a Pee Wee?

Post by PCarpentier »

Hello all, I've just received my Pee Wee plans and have been sourcing my lumber/epoxy/etc. A couple newer 4-strokes popped up locally for a reasonable price and I was wondering if anyone has any insight on the maximum motor weight that would be practical for this boat?

Has anyone here put a newer 4-Stroke on a Pee-Wee? I've read through a bunch of posts and see a variety of pee wee power ranging from 5-15HP but not much in the way of motor weight or 2-stroke vs 4-stroke. Looking at the photos it's hard to tell just by the size in some cases

The first option is a 2002 Mercury 9.9HP Bigfoot 4-stroke that comes with all the electrical hookups - remote start, remote steer, throttle, and power tilt/trim. I 've also read that the bigfoot has a different gearing that's better for larger boats like a sailboat. Should I avoid this completely?

The other option is a Tiller 2006 Mercury 8hp 4-stroke that weighs 85lbs.

Any help would be appreciated

- Phil

vupilot

Re: Is a 4 Stroke too heavy for a Pee Wee?

Post by vupilot »

Tell us more. Is this Pee Wee going to be operated by adults or kids? Do you want remote steering or tiller?

I think I would look past the bigfoot 9.9. I tried a bigfoot 15hp 4 stroke on an 11' Utility and took it off immediately, too much weight and couldnt use the power. Wound up with a 2001 8hp 2 stroke, that was sweeet! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3-cupqBFmU If you can find a good one that might be a nice match.

Those late 90's and early 2000's small/lightweight Mercury and Yamaha two strokes are fantastic when you can find a nice one. They are about 10lbs lighter than the newer 4 strokes of the same power and have a lot of top end.

If going with a brand new 4-stroke I would probably try a new 6hp with the built in fuel tank. When you make the jump from 6 to 8hp is when the weight really jumps up from about 58lbs to about 85lbs.

PCarpentier

Post by PCarpentier »

This Pee Wee is intended to be used by my young kids and I want to have remote steering. 9.9 is really on the top end of the power I want for this but the price of that bigfoot was awfully tempting.

Thanks for the insight, I'm far enough out that I don't need to buy anything just yet and will keep shopping around.

- Phil

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Mercury makes a 9.9 hp motor that is available in 15, 20, and 24 inch shafts. I think the PeeWee uses a 15 inch shaft. This motor is available with remote steering and controls and electric start. It weighs 84 lbs . I think the controls and fuel tank add another 20 lbs. Using a light weight battery like an Odyssey would keep weight down. Might need to hunt around for used or pop for a new one.

If you could live with tiller steering and control, you would save a lot of weight and complexity. small boats like the PeeWee lend themselves well to tiller control.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Return to “Small outboards”