Raptor, nails or staples

Let's all discuss the tools here

Moderators: BruceDow, billy c

Hercdrvr

Raptor, nails or staples

Post by Hercdrvr »

Starting to think about the cold molding process ahead. I'm going to buy a Raptor gun for the job. What gun model and what type of fasteners have y'all used? What are the pros and cons of staples vs nails?
It's a Barrelback
Oh, and what does the pool of experience say about 3mm ply vs 4mm ply for the veneers?

Matt B

Roberta

Re: Raptor, nails or staples

Post by Roberta »

I used raptor staples. 1/4" staples only have a 3/16" leg length, so make sure you use a staple that is long enough. The first layer just goes into the framing so it can be longer. Too long of a staple will blow through. To short won't hold well. I used a chisel to scrape the staple heads off rather than sand them off. I haven't tried the nails, so I can't comment on those. I have the Omer 81P. I used 3mm Okoume. I think it bends easier to conform better. The Torpedo has 3 layers on the sides and 5 on the bottom and seems to be very strong.

I used a notched trowel to spread the thickened epoxy (Glen L Poxy grip) on the sides. On the bottom where the angle wasn't steep, I used epoxy and rolled it on both surfaces, then fastened.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

So, don't use a 3/8" staple on 3mm plywood on 2nd and 3rd layers? When you say "blow through" do you mean it will show on the inside of the hull or it will actually shoot the staple all the way through the wood?

Matt B

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Yup, the legs will blow out the inside of the plywood if too long. 3/8" is good for attaching the first layer to the frame and battens. When bending the strips in place, you want to fasten in the middle first and work your way out to the ends. Holding the stapler tight to the wood helps make sure it penetrates properly. I start smack in the middle and work to the edges, then to the ends You can use longer staples on the subsequent layers if you know you will be hitting a batten or frame. Let the previous staple row guide you.

Roberta

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Great advice!! I'll probably have to ask again when I actual start planking.
Thanks

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Trigger safety or contact safety model? Time to order gun.
Matt B

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

I have the 81P, Trigger Safety. I think the tip safety would get in the way in tight areas and makes seeing a little more difficult. I really like to press hard on the gun to make sure the staples go in all the way and the mating pieces are flush against each other. Pressing hard on my finishing nailer with the tip safety has worn it out and has caused clearance issues. Another issue is the epoxy getting into the tip. The tip safety would be more to clean out.

Roberta :D

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Roberta,
That's the repley I needed. Done, ordered the 81p and 5000 staples from John this afternoon.
Thank you,
Matt B

NAMEngJS

Post by NAMEngJS »

Dont know if anyone else here has seen it yet but Senco brand also just came out with polymer nail and staple guns as well. the brad nailer was about 190 on line. I was thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these as well since it is half the price of the Omer brand. I checked locally (New Orleans) and no one has the product actually on the shelves yet where I could actually handle it. Just throwing out another option to the forum.
-Juan Suarez

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds, wake to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers by day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

The 81P is 200 from Glen L.

Roberta

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Yep, $200 for the 81p stapler and $50 for 5000 staples.
I always try to buy from Gayle and John when they have the product I need.

Matt B

Return to “Tool Talk”