Heaters

Let's all discuss the tools here

Moderators: BruceDow, billy c

Bill Edmundson

Heaters

Post by Bill Edmundson »

My basement/work area is about 1150 sq. ft. with one wall and ceiling to heated parts of the house. There are two concrete walls exposed to the out and the end wall has two uninsulated garage doors. I'm looking for about 68*.
100_0008.JPG
100_0007.JPG
30,000 BTU Natural Gas with thermostat and fan.
30,000 BTU Natural Gas with thermostat and fan.
12/14/16,000 BTU Propane
12/14/16,000 BTU Propane
Old Fashion Kerosene heater
Old Fashion Kerosene heater
Electric Radiator with fan
Electric Radiator with fan
Fogged windows from the gas heaters.
Fogged windows from the gas heaters.
The wall heater is clearly the best. But, it cost 2x as much to get the gas line to it as the heater cost. It does the job on a very low setting.

The little propane heater is strictly on or off with 3 settings. Propane cost $20 per fill-up and will last 27 to 36 hours. Propane does smell.

The old heater uses kerosene, K-1 fuel is about $11 per gallon and smells. Odorless fuel is $12 gallon. It last about 8 to 10 hours. Well, you might not freeze.

The electric heater will knock the chill off. That is about it.

The gas heaters put off about 1 oz. of water per 1000 BTU per hour.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Jimbob

Re: Heaters

Post by Jimbob »

I have a 80,000 btu convection propane heater similar to the one in the link below. It Works great. I can get my 2 car garage up to 75 degrees in about 5 minutes. But that's in California when the outside temp is 40 - 50 degrees. After I heat up the garage I turn way down to hold the temp.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dyna-Glo-80-00 ... b9ec9ecb2c

Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D I used to have kerosene heater in shop but any time I did staining or varnishing,it would burn the fumes as well.really stunk.Have old pellet stove now. can be set up so it uses outside air for combustion.not wild about gas heaters that are not vented.coarse when it's -40 out,one doesn't do much in shop.Now what are you building,Bill? :roll:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Chug!

-40* I'd move! :lol: When it's -40*, I'll bet you don't much car where the heat comes from! Our basement leaks like a sieve and I have a CO detector the has not gone off.

No current build. I'm having to redo the decks and paint the Bartender before spring.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Post by kens »

What kind of garage doors do you have?
I used to have the routine spec house tin garage door. Later, I replaced it with a insulated, hurricane wind proof structural door.
WOW! what a difference. The 100mph wind proof door is more than just 100mph proof, it gets all the heavier hinges, mounts, runner tracks and all.What it does is seal tighter, seals so tight a crack of daylight won't even get through. and then it has insulated panels.
It is a premium price to pay, but well worth it.
The best heat option would probably be one of those mini-split heat pump air conditioners. and, you can cool in the summer too.
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D Tropical heat wave today
IMG_1117[1].JPG
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Ken

My doors are the cheap wood w/Masonite panels. Slightly more insulation than the first ones you described. But, not much.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Insulation. It's a pain to install but makes all the difference. But, in Alabama it doesn't usually take much to heat the garage anyways I bet.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

TomB

Post by TomB »

Bill,

Interesting assortment. I have insulated walls, ceiling, and doors. We worry about heating degree days not cooling degree days so I have a Hot Dog heater (this www.homedepot.com/p/Modine-Hot-Dawg-45- ... /202812648 , not this www.star-mfg.com/product/cradle-broil-o ... ompartment ) to get the ice off the cars and I don't concern myself with the three or four days a year when its hot out. If I lived in your neighborhood, without skis, snow shoes, or ice skates, I'd have a mini-split system like Ken suggested. But ya gotta do the doors to keep the cool in.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Monday night/ Tuesday morning It will get down to about 20*. I'm going to turn the heater off on Monday. Then Tuesday morning see how long it takes to recover.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

Geez! only 20? We had -40 last night and the power shut off for 8 hours. so my boiler feeder lines froze.had to empty boiler and drain .Good thing I have blaze king for inside stove too.The thought of selling everything,getting bigger boat and hibernating in the Dismal Swamp sounds more appealing every day :lol:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Chug :lol:

I know we have nothing compared to those of you up at the north pole! :!: From time to time we do get to 0*. This is definitely not a one size fits all topic :!: It has been fun seeing the different solutions.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

So above the garage is heated/cooled but you don't have any insulation between your floor joists?

Our house in NC was built in 1952 and had almost no insulation.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Matt

I have about 50/50 insulation overhead. It's a project never finished. I insulated under the kitchen/above the garage doors. The rest has carpets with pads.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Post by kens »

Have you tried the old clear plastic sheet insulation thing?
Take a big sheet of clear plastic and staple/ductape/tack nail/ and cover the big garage door that you know will not open again until spring thaw.
Same for any windows you have.
The plastic sheet is not insulation but, the dead air space is.
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

Return to “Tool Talk”