Choice of (2) band saws, help...

Let's all discuss the tools here

Moderators: BruceDow, billy c

gpcramins

Choice of (2) band saws, help...

Post by gpcramins »

Building my first wood boat (15' Minuet). Last time I operated a band saw for wood working was 31 years ago. I am looking at (2) different saws. One is 9" and has a single speed, the other is 14" with 4 speeds. I have the book "Building boats with Plywood" by Glen Witt and 14" is the best option recommended. One issue, the price difference between the two is $250, and looking at the plans, I am having a difficult time understanding why the 14" would be worth the additional $250 for the boat I am building.

Can anyone chime in here and let me know if I am on the right track? I've been perusing the forums and noted that some builders have foregone the band saw entirely and used a jig saw (which I also have). I feel a band saw would make some of the work much easier, but if the 9" single speed model will be more than adequate, $250 can go towards epoxy, other supplies, and beer....

Regards,

Garry

Jimbob

Re: Choice of (2) band saws, help...

Post by Jimbob »

Hi Garry,
One thing to consider is whether you will be re-sawing boards for veneer etc. Generally a standard 14" band saw can take a board up to approx 6" wide when it is standing on edge. If you want to go higher you can get a "riser block" and increase the cutting capacity to 12". The motor on a 14" band saw is usually more powerful than the ones on smaller band saws. I wouldn't be concerned about the different speeds when cutting wood. You might also consider the distance between the blade and the inside frame of the band saw, more room on larger saws. Saw blades will be more available for a 14" band saw than for smaller saws. It is much easier to make cleaner cuts than with a jig saw.

I would highly recommend getting a 14" band saw. Mine got a tremendous amount of use on my build.
Check out Grizzly or Woodcraft if you are shopping.

Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

TomB

Post by TomB »

Garry,

At some point it gets down to HP and blade control. A 14" saw with a 1/2 HP motor won't work as well as a 14" saw with a 1 1/2 HP motor. I suspect there will be a bigger motor on the bigger saw.

Blade control, tension and lateral resistance, has a significant affect on the cut. Tension changes based on the blade size, 1/4" blade needs less tension than a 3/4" blade. Can you put different sized blades on both saws? The block guides/rollers/ceramic guides should be off the blade by about a dollar bill thickness. Can you easily move the guides in and out without needing to use a bunch of tools?

I would probably start out with the jig saw and when that doesn't work get a band saw one size bigger than you think you need. :D :D

In the meantime get a oscillating bench sander www.ridgid.com/us/en/oscillating-edge-b ... dle-sander Whether sawing with jig saw or band saw, you'll need to smooth the edges and this kind of thing is really handy.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

gpcramins

Post by gpcramins »

Thank you! I will get the 14" as suggested. I've used a jig saw and a band saw and I remember the band saw being so much easier to use. I do have a jig saw, however. I used my table saw (new) the other day to build some sawhorses and although initially terrified (I don't want lose any body parts doing this), was surprised at how quickly this is coming.

I do have a belt/disc combination sander lined up. It does not oscillate, I hope this is not a problem! I really had to gear up for woodworking. I have a gas MIG setup, plasma cutter and enough tools to rebuild an engine in my garage, just nothing for wood, which I rarely work with.

If the boat were steel, I would have most of what I would need...

I have also purchased a dual bevel compound sliding miter saw, a circular saw, builder's square, etc...

Garry

kens

Post by kens »

If, you have a 14" saw with 4 speeds, and compare that to a 9" saw with 1 speed:
then the 9" saw will look like a toy..........
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Here's a spindle sander from HFT. I have a similar model from them and it works great. They are about $150, but you can probably get one cheaper with their sale/coupon deals.
Jim
69257_W3.jpg
69257_W3.jpg (14.31 KiB) Viewed 4740 times
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

You'll still use that jig saw. It's hard to run a big sheet of plywood through a band saw. And you'll likely use it ON the boat. I got away without a band saw but it sure would have been nice to have one. I'd still like to have one in fact.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I've built the Tahoe 19, a 24' Bartender, a strip canoe, and a mini tug. I used a jig saw, a table saw, and a circular saw.

I guess the old saying is right: "If all you have is a hammer all problems tend to be solved with a hammer."

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Tool Talk”