Why tongue weight matters...

Boat trailers and trailering

Moderator: ttownshaw

Bill Edmundson

Re: Why tongue weight matters...

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Chris

Great video. If you have ever had that happen to you, YOU won't want to do it again. Rule of thumb is that tongue weight should be about 10% of the trailer weight.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

That and a mustang is not the greatest tow vehicle... :wink:
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

I've had this very thing happen to me. I built a trailer a number of years ago based on a set of plans I got from JC Whitney. The plans showed the axles being too far forward. I was carrying one pickup truck on the trailer behind my flat-bed dually. While there were some other contributing factors, an 18-wheeler passed me and the air turbulence from that truck was all it took to set the oscillation into motion. I couldn't get back any control and the ensuing crash totaled BOTH trucks. Yikes! (plus, the shoulder harness darn near broke my collar bone.)

GOOD FIND, Chris
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ »

Bill Edmundson wrote:Chris

Great video. If you have ever had that happen to you, YOU won't want to do it again. Rule of thumb is that tongue weight should be about 10% of the trailer weight.

Bill
10% of the trailer weight? Or 10% of the total (trailer + boat) weight?

When my boat is finished, it will be my first foray into the world of trailer-pulling! I'm looking to learn...

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Total Weight.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Trailers and trailering”