Malahini in Missouri

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

rbrandenstein

Malahini in Missouri

Post by rbrandenstein » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:07 pm

When does construction begin? I bought my plans last February, did a lot of research and planning and starting buying wood, epoxy and screws in Aug-October. I started making templates, a work table, etc. in Oct-Nov. I didn't feel I actually started building the boat until I cut some wood into pieces that become part of the boat.
So, in my mind, construction started over Thanksgiving weekend when I started cutting some oak to build the frames.
I build a frame layout table out of 2x4s and a sheet of 1/2" MDF. This worked real well. The MDF is very smooth and I painted it with white primer. Very easy to draw lines on for laying out the frames. Once the pieces were in position, I nail gunned pieces of 1x2 to allow easy alignment when gluing.
IMG_0304.JPG
IMG_0321.JPG
I traced the full size frame pieces onto posterboard to make templates. For larger pieces I taped two pieces together. Tape both sides to make a stable joint. This worked well for all pieces except the two deck beams. When I tried to mirror the half piece on the oak, it just didn't form a smooth curve. I ended up laying those out per the plan and used a batten to draw the curve.
IMG_0313.JPG
I used screws to attach the gussets rather than the nails. I thought I would have issues with movement trying to pound nails into oak. So, I positioned the gussets and drilled and temporarily set two screws two hold the pieces while I drilled and countersunk all the other holes. I also cut and included a filler block between the gussets to fill the gap and also add stength. Next post....

rbrandenstein

Re: Malahini in Missouri

Post by rbrandenstein » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:34 pm

I found that trying to trace the full size plans onto the table, as suggested in the Glen-L book was difficult to do and didn't generate the accuracy I was hoping for. It was easier to lay out the center line and level line and then measure the critical corner points and mark these on the table. Lay the bottom and side pieces to these marks and make sure they align. That's when I nail gunned the small blocks to hold everything in alignment as I drilled the holes for the gussets. It also lets you get everything back into position when you glue it up. Here's a frame in progress.
IMG_0319.JPG
And a closer view of a finished frame.
IMG_0332.JPG
BTW: Parchment baking paper works great to prevent the glue from sticking to the table.
The make the transom, I did what Roberta did. I drew the outline on both sides and temporarily mounted the oak pieces in position on the inside. These pieces were made a little larger on the perimeter to allow for the angle at the bottom and little extra on the side for fairing to a curve. I then flipped it over and cut from the outside. I cut the bottom, which is straight, with a circular saw set at 13 degrees. I used a saber saw for the sides, which I set at 6 degrees. This picture shows the transom complete with the plywood motor board attached. Rather than put a notch in the transom knee, I took a 1/16 off the middle of the oak frame to make it 3/4" to match the plywood where the knee attaches.
IMG_0331.JPG

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:44 pm

rbrandenstein wrote:When does construction begin?
Well, it sorta looks to me like it HAS begun. LOL

And it's looking really good too. Many Kudos.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

rbrandenstein

Post by rbrandenstein » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:54 pm

The frames, stem, transom, etc. were complete in December. I used the Christmas holiday to start moving construction to my garage. I have just enough room for the Malahini, which had a lot to do with my plan selection.
So the construction frame is up and I started aligning the frames, stem and transom. There is nothing firmly attached at this point. I just got my faster epoxy and bought some heaters to help it cure so I can secure the stem and later do the chines. As eveyone else has stated, you can never have enough clamps.
IMG_0325.JPG
IMG_0326.JPG
Here I making sure the last three frames are on a straight line.
IMG_0330.JPG
Note: this shows the transom frame before it was attached to the transom. I assembled the frame pieces and used it for setting up the construction jig and then I attached it to the transom.
I want to double check all the alignment and measurements and then secure the stem, frames, transom and keel so I can start on the chines and sheer.

This forum has been an invaluable resource and I want to thank all those that give of there time and expertise. I look forward to posting more progress and pictures.

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:37 pm

Ahhh, another builder who WILL come to the Spring Fling

Yep, ttownshaw, we knew there were enough of us in these parts to get a gathering together!!! :D

rbrandesnstein - you gotta hurry to be ready for launch at the Spring Fling

dave
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:11 pm

Nice looking workmanship there. I cant think of a more accurate way to assemble frame pieces than the method you used. Same way wood wing ribs are built.
Thanks for the show and tell. It really looks great!

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:09 am

Nice!!! Great progress for such a short time.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:33 am

AWW watching all you guys and gals go so quick is causing me to have to work harder. Nice work.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

rbrandenstein

Post by rbrandenstein » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:02 pm

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

Please call me Bob.

Dave: I am certainly looking at the Spring Fling at Table Rock. I know I won't have anything to bring, but I would like to stop by for a day if it works out. I'll try to schedule a visit to our condo at Lake of the Ozarks that weekend and drive down for a visit.

Update. I spent today re-measuring all the frames, making them plumb and securing them to the form. I also attached some scrap wood stringers between the frames to get them all aligned. I'm pleased that everything came out within a 1/16".

It's 25 degrees out, and probably 36 in my garage. I also got my fast setting epoxy, which is supposed to work at 40 and up, so I glued and attached the stem to frame 4. I built a tent over the joint area and placed a heater below. My grilling thermometer reads about 55 under the tent, so I should be okay.

Next up is gluing the plywood to the keel, cutting the sheer and chine pieces and scarfing them for the desired length.

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:04 pm

Bob - We don't care whether you bring a boat. The whole purpose of these events is to bring awareness to the communities and showcase this "hobby" that we have. (and of course have a little fun at the same time). We learn a lot from one another and build strong fellowship that crosses a lot of boundaries.

So bring yourself and anyone else. This is our first effort at a Spring Fling and I hope we have a decent turnout. The big event is in the fall called the Gathering. It will be down at Lake Nickajack again this year the weekend of Sept 17. Each year we are amazed at its growth.
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:45 pm

You are definately off to a good start. I started almost exactly one year before you did on my Malahini and I still remember the feeling of laying my frames on the building form the first time and 'seeing' the boat comming alive. Its an exciting time.

Everything you've shown and said looks great.. keep it going!
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Onplane

Post by Onplane » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:32 am

Bob,

Looking good. I especially like the way you did the frames. I used screws as well. The ring nails would have been very frustrating going into the w oak and screws seem to me to have better holding power anyway...

The fill pieces in the gussets is another nice touch. I think I will be doing some sort of cap for mine when I get my interior details complete.

The frames are definitely what define the boat in the end, so spending a little extra time on them in the beginning is well worth it in the end. However, as others have said, you can always take a little off, or add some back as necessary! :D

Charles

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:37 pm

Great work Bob. Plan on coming to the Spring Fling and I'll take for a spin on my Malahini.

Keep it up!!!
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

rbrandenstein

Post by rbrandenstein » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:26 pm

Bill.
I'll take you up on that ride! I'm planning on coming down on Saturday AM because I have theater tickets on Friday night at the FOX. (Jersey Boys.. a great show for us oldies.) I figure its about 3.5 hours from St. Louis, so if we leave early, we should be there around 10:00. I guess I need to know the schedule or where to find the event. I'll move this discussion to the Spring Fling topic.

rbrandenstein

Post by rbrandenstein » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:54 pm

Progress update.
Man, the weather is messing things up! It is so cold and snowy it is difficult to do any work in my garage. I need to do some epoxy work but I am afraid to do it when it is so cold and not have the epoxy set up.

I was able to glue the stem on a 26 degree day by putting a tarp over the joint and aiming some heaters at it. I got to about 57 degrees.
IMG_0343.JPG
I trimmed and fit the keel and knee. I pretty pleased with that. Drilled the holes for the bolts. Now, just waiting for a decent day to glue it in.
IMG_0346.JPG
While the keel was in place, I used my router to cut the limbers on both sides. A template clamped to the keel made it go pretty easy.
IMG_0351.JPG

Return to “Power Boats”