I guess it's time to come out of the closet!Bartender 24

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Bill Edmundson

Re: I guess it's time to come out of the closet!Bartender 24

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I need to look in advanced settings on each unit and make sure they're talking there. I don't know how to get there, yet.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

raymacke

Post by raymacke »

One suggestion - When it comes to setting up marine electronics I can confirm that directing a profanity filled tirade at them has no effect on their non functional status (although it can provide a certain sense of satisfaction ).
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Ray

I've tried that approach to many things on this boat! :lol: Sometimes she hasn't been much of a lady! :roll: :lol:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Ray

I think, I've found the NEMA 0183 settings page in the book. The boat is 260 miles away though. As you said, it may be the baud rate setting.

Frustration ruled for a few days.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

raymacke wrote:One suggestion - When it comes to setting up marine electronics I can confirm that directing a profanity filled tirade at them has no effect on their non functional status (although it can provide a certain sense of satisfaction ).
Well, I did have THIS experience a few weeks ago:

My mom and I were trying to take her car through the automatic car-wash. I was driving. The price was $3 and my first two bills were accepted by the machine readily. But that third dollar bill just wouldn't please the machine. It just kept kicking it back and kicking it back. We didn't have any other money in a small enough denomination!

Finally, in a combination of joking around with my mom and being frustrated, I whipped out my .357, jammed the barrel up against the machine and yelled: "TAKE THE MONEY!"

And it did!

My mom and I laughed ourselves silly and we are still laughing about it.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

X23

Post by X23 »

Bill,

What a beautiful job! I'm catching up again after a busy time at work, and really enjoyed seeing what a great product you created.

Good show!

Jack

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Very frustrated right now. The people who put the engine in rewired. The engine does not go through the master switch. It's always hot. The starboard tanks is reading on the port gauge. Something is draining the house battery.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

bob smith

Post by bob smith »

Pesky little electrons!!
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Don't know if they use diodes in the isolation of the house battery. Could be one or more are burned out and allowing current flow to the main system. One way to find a current loss draining batteries is to remove the negative cable from the battery and place a test lamp in between the cable and post. Make sure everything is switched off. If the lamp lights up, you have current flow to something causing a drain. Then you need to disconnect things one at a time until the light goes off.

Hope this makes sense.

Roberta :?
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Roberta

Thanks. That is kind of the attack I was planning. But, today it was time to walk away.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Post by kens »

why would the engine be wired hot?
do you have some wire diagrams from the engine manufacturer, not the local guy?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Ken

I don't know why it's always hot. Now I need to undo it.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D don't know if this helps.penciled in numbers are prices from Defender.
IMG_0888[1].JPG
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

raymacke

Post by raymacke »

I believe normally the outboard is connected to the battery with the heavy starting cables. From there a harness runs to the controller key switch or remote key switch if you are not using the std controller. From there the harness runs to any instruments or accs that are to be powered when the key is turned on. There should be no other connections to power as the battery leads handle it all. Switch on and everything is hot, key off and all is dead.

The only way I can think of to make it hot all the time is they have ran a power wire from one of your banks to an accessory or instrument that is already connected and powered by the engine harness. If that was done power could be back feeding from there to the engine making it hot all the time. As suggested disconnecting one at a time will be the best way to locate the error. If they are connected to a fuse or breaker panel killing individual power there is easy and quick.

If disconnecting the accessories doesn't reveal the problem then I would look very close at any instruments that are installed. Even something like a mechanical fuel gauge that isn't directly connected to the engine usually has a backlight that could be controlled by the key switch. A tap in there could be backfeeding if the gauge is also connected to the harness.
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Ray

Both batteries go to a master switch. That switch is off/parallel/both. I did put in an ACR. I'm going to disconnect the ARC and see if there is some crossover. After that the switch has to be bad. Right now I go from each battery direct to the switch. Then to the engine and fuse panel. :?

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Power Boats”