HELP!!!

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

pamelalynne1

HELP!!!

Post by pamelalynne1 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:23 am

I had put my Stiletto build in small outboards by mistake. I need some input about routing my steering cable, controls and wiring harness. Having raised the transom height to 20 inches and bringing up the splashwell I'm wondering the best way to bring everything through. I hesitate to drill a hole in the side deck and bring it all up through a clamshell as I may not find one large enough and don't want to diminish the clean line of the deck. None of the pics show how anyone has done this with a modified transom.

Oyster

Re: HELP!!!

Post by Oyster » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:47 am

pamelalynne1 wrote:I had put my Stiletto build in small outboards by mistake. I need some input about routing my steering cable, controls and wiring harness. Having raised the transom height to 20 inches and bringing up the splashwell I'm wondering the best way to bring everything through. I hesitate to drill a hole in the side deck and bring it all up through a clamshell as I may not find one large enough and don't want to diminish the clean line of the deck. None of the pics show how anyone has done this with a modified transom.
Its quite possible that even with the cable run up through the decking that you can even create a handcrafted clam shell thats also removable for servicing. Thats the beauty of working with wood. Rough in parts and shape to your liking. I have also created a fiberglass clam shell for custom situations using wood as a mould and then skinning the wooden mould with plastic and the glassing several layers over it. The fair and cut the bottom correctly and screw in place with either cleats on the inside or even fabricating a flat flange into the glass. Fairing hides a multitude of sins you know.

jeffh

Post by jeffh » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:38 am

I had similar issues with my Malahini steering. I did not want to drill through the deck and then cover it with a clam shell. My splash well was too narrow because I have hatches back there. If I used the tilt tube to connect my steering, the output end of the cable would hit the side of the well. I used a splashwell mount for my steering cable. It works well in the garage but I have not had a chance to launch the boat this week due to weather.

Is your transom and splash well similar to Tom Wolf's? There is one photo where it looks like his cables just come right through the bottom of the well which to me does not seem right. I'm probably not able to see something important. I have three holes in my splash well for cables and those are covered with a rubber boot that is caulked and screwed into place. Each boot has a cable zip tie that pulls tight around the cables. Mine are also up as high on the sides of the well as I could get them.
2011 MALAHINI - KICKED IN THE HEAD
I wake up with a 16ft woody every morning :)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534DBtp1Cnc

pamelalynne1

Post by pamelalynne1 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:41 am

It does look quite similar to Tom Wolf's. The splashwell is just a litle higher than the side deck line. I'd be interested to know how he sealed the hole around the cables to keep the water out.

brigittae

Post by brigittae » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:53 am

I am trying to locate James Cuba who purchased Tom Wolf's Siletto. I am Tom's daughter and he has been diagnosed with ALS. I would like to find out where the boat is and if by ANY chance the current owner would be interested at all in selling it back to me. Long shot, I know but I have to try... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Brigitta Eggleston

Return to “Power Boats”