Atlantic Skiff build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

psychobilly

Re: Atlantic Skiff build

Post by psychobilly »

Gotcha, and I didn’t think about the bright transom. White is definitely a no go, but SS wouldn’t be too bad.

I don’t know about the sides. I guess it would be better than not having. Definitely need the scupper flaps if you’re going with the scuppers.

I’m constantly cleaning while fishing and it’s really nice to scrub the decks and wash the decks right back. Also on my plastic boat, there’s no bilge so it makes since. I’m not too sure how you’re setting up you’re Skiff, but I’ve dreamt about that boat a bunch. My dream had scuppers but painted stern, so I’m stumped on this one. I suppose black wouldn’t be so bad.

I like these chrome ones, and reading a thread in another forum, there’s plenty room to drill and counter sink screws in them.
5A2D7749-0796-4110-A506-C17F26A6FF97.jpeg

kens

Post by kens »

what about this?:
https://www.carolinaboatoutfitters.com/ ... 82168.html

maybe replace the rubber door with wood door??
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

weller

Post by weller »

They are the two I have been looking at. Never thought of replacing the flapper with wood.
If you go back to page 10 of this thread and zoom in on the boat there, you can see the holes with no flapper. Do you see a problem with the holes and no flapper?
"My mind is on a permanent vacation, the ocean is my only medication"

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

I prefer the flapper on skupper for when backing down. Keeps the water from rushing in. That pic on page 10 are pretty small but I’d rather have the flap.

kens

Post by kens »

weller wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:13 am
They are the two I have been looking at. Never thought of replacing the flapper with wood.
If you go back to page 10 of this thread and zoom in on the boat there, you can see the holes with no flapper. Do you see a problem with the holes and no flapper?
I dunno about no flapper, or a wide open scupper.
My boat is not foam filled under the sole, I see you are. that is a big difference.
Neither is my cockpit sole sealed from the bilge. Is yours??
To me, the scuppers just feel like a means to flood the bilge, UNLESS, you are 100% sealed cockpit sole, that includes hatches, inspection holes, cutouts, engine hatch, helm, pass throughs, grommets, and so on.
I guess it depends how much floatation you got,,,, you got enough floatation to lift up a flooded cockpit to the point the water runs out?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

weller

Post by weller »

The cockpit sole is fiberglassed and returns 3" up the sides and 4" around the motor well. And there are hatches and inspection holes that are water tight but I put them in so no guarantee they won't leak. As for foam I did mange to get 2300-2400# of floatation in. Also don't laugh but I have 3 1000gph, 1 1200gph, and 2 2200ghp bilge pumps. I started with the 3 from the donor boat and then I thought maybe they are no good so I got 3 new ones and ended up putting them all in. All that being said I would rather have the water on the outside of the boat so I will probably go with the flappers. I am leaving for Hatteras tomorrow and there are plenty of boats to look at and see what other people have done, maybe I can get some ideas. Thanks guys

kens

Post by kens »

Wow !! 8600gph pumps...got enough battery to run that??
BTW, some builders put a Y-valve in the raw water intake side of engine, such that the engine itself can be used as a crash bilge pump, if you can keep the engine running you got a massive pump that will pump until you run outta gas.

weller

Post by weller »

I do have a T in my raw intake for the motor and the raw water Intake for the wash down pump and the fresh water pump. The smaller boats at the docks either have flappers when they exit the transom, or no flaps when they exit the sides. Maybe I’m over thinking this but I did the bright transom for the look and I don’t really want to take away from that look with scupper flaps.

kens

Post by kens »

How high is your cockpit sole above the waterline?? got a idea?

weller

Post by weller »

Approximately 4”

weller

Post by weller »

Well it has been 9 years since the start of this boat and I’m still not finished. For the first few years I just wanted to hurry up and get it done, now I just go out the the garage and enjoy the journey. I never thought so much stuff went into building a boat but I enjoy every hour I spend on it. Maybe it will be done this coming spring maybe it won’t, either way I will keep at it. The floor is in and everything under it is finished. Now I need to sand it one more time and primer and paint. The sides are made and are primed. I will need to put a few access panels in yet. I just put the first coat of epoxy on the covering boards. The frame for the roof is at the welder and when he is done I will take it to get powder coated. The seat is done and painted and the console is primed and I’m starting the mahogany helm pod. I have a pic of the forward floor and the covering boards. When it stops raining I can get a pic of the console and seat. I thought I would be finished long ago but I’m not upset that I can spend some time working on it every day.
Attachments
3B110414-8DF7-4396-873A-745704895F50.jpeg
0C582EA1-7AC2-4E56-AFC9-EF18C6CFF50E.jpeg

kens

Post by kens »

Nice, very nice.

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

Agree! Beautiful bright work going on there Weller!!

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Keep it going it will be worth the time and effort. You might miss building when you are done like me.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

weller

Post by weller »

Thanks guys. I’m too far to not finish now. My garage is a little tight to work in but if I want to get done by sometime next year I’ll have to deal with it.

Return to “Power Boats”