"My mind is on a permanent vacation, the ocean is my only medication"
psychobilly

Re: Atlantic Skiff build

Post by psychobilly »

That's a huge wheel! I'm turn'n a 14" with my BB with a 1 to 1.... WOW 16"
weller

Post by weller »

I don't know to much about this part of the build. My instructions say "Plans show space for a 16" diameter propeller which should suffice for most installations." So I assumed that's what I had to use. As for the transmission, it says on a motor rated 4000 RPM or higher, a 1.5:1 reduction gear may be appropriate. Not really sure what to use when my instructions use words like "should suffice" and "may be appropriate". I have the book Inboard Motor Installations and it says stuff like reduction gears and props should be known by the designer, so again not real sure on what to do here.
psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

I'm in the boat with you on this one... I do know Ken knows quite a bit about it as I have read his threads where he has tried every wheel under the sun and then there's Hot Rod that's also very knowledgeable, so I'm sure when you get to that point you will have plenty of support from them and others that would be able ot help you make the right choce.

I can't wait to see her fliped!!!! :-)
Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

16" sounds reasonable for this boat. If you are on the coast and might want to pull a net. If you want speed though, I go with less reduction and a smaller wheel.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build
kens

Post by kens »

My boat likes a 15 or 16" dia. I have turned a 17" 4blade. Yours is a bigger boat, so 16 or 17" is what you need.
The tranny gear ratio comes when you select engine gas vs diesel. The boat will have a shaft speed delegated by Horsepower & weight.
From there you work the math backwards to get gear ratio.
The shaft speed is a constant depending on HP; the engine RPM (gas vs diesel) decides gear ratio.

when you get your engine decided, then you decide the tranny gear. A 6BT Cummins with a shallow gear would be awesome though.
weller

Post by weller »

I'm sure a desiel would be great if I planned on using this boat more then about ten times a year. I have a desiel and know what the upkeep and repairs cost, and it isn't cheap. I talked to a few boat builders and charter fisherman and they all said the same thing, if I'm not using the boat all the time a desiel is a waste. If I have an extra 20 grand when the time comes maybe i'll change my mind. :D As of now a gas motor is going in this boat.
psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

Here's a good donar.... 454BB but I guess you would have to swap the gear to swing a bigger wheel maybe?? It may be had for a decent price and then you have everything you need...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/sho ... hp?t=52545
Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Weller

What kind of speed and activity are you looking for? I like would like to run a little faster from time to time. But, 39 is fine. Most of the time i'm at a 24. And the fuel economy is way better than trying to running 45 to 50.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build
weller

Post by weller »

I will be be using it to fish in the ocean. In a boat this small if I can cruise at 30 knots on a nice day I'd be happy. Thanks for the link psychobilly
psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

No worries... That Jim @ BAWS is a stand up guy to deal with from what I have heard so I'm sure that's a good boat... If you do go for it don't tell him you're going to chop it up as it's a classic. lol
weller

Post by weller »

Well it has been a while since the post, so here is an update. I wasen't happy with the topsides so I filled and faired the sides again. When that was done I painted 3 coates of pettit protect primer and one coat of vivid so far. Two more coats of vivid then the flip.
Attachments
003.JPG
psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

Beautiful!!

I can't wait to see the flip!
kens

Post by kens »

Looking good.
Did you drill the big hole yet??
weller

Post by weller »

Yes sir the hole is drilled, go back one page, I have some pics. I ended up making a fiberglass tube and glueing it in the hole, seemed to work out fine. I also installed some spray rails made of azak, the paint sticks to them fine, so hopfully they will work out. Going on vacation in a week hope to flip it when I get back.

Return to “Power Boats”