Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense »

Thanks for the responses Tim, footer and Jim.

Footer, I have that router as well. It's handy for smaller jobs and I've used it often.

Jim, I am probably goig to do the approach you mentioned. I was originally thinking of doing the cut and sand approach, but I really didn't feel like do ing all that sanding again. I have almost everything I need with the rest being delivered today and tomorrow so I'll be getting to that very soon.

Yesterday morning, Joe Ramotowski, (Joerpilot on the forum here) visited me and we spent some discussing various aspects of my build and the work he has doing on his build. He's just getting started on his Barrelback and had some questions which I hope I was able to answer to his satisfaction. Joe's a nice guy and we have a lot of common interests.

Most of this weekend has been spent working on making my flip cart for the shop overhaul. It's 95% completed, only needing a cover over the electrical compartment, and some bigger casters. This is going to be much nicer than having to haul these two heavy items out of the garage every time I want to use them. Once I get the bigger casters, it will roll around better.

IMG_20191117_124536.jpg
IMG_20191117_124501.jpg
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

That is slick!
I saw one of those in wood magazine but never got around to making one. Wish I did.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

That's going to be a great space saver.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

That is very cool and a space saver. I need to put everything on wheels also. I have just been carrying everything out as I need it.
Capt. Dave
Builder of the Amp Eater Aquatron

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

CaptDave wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:55 pm
That is very cool and a space saver. I need to put everything on wheels also. I have just been carrying everything out as I need it.

That's what I've been doing as well and that, along with working on a folding table that was too low (because my regular workbench was always cluttered) was what caused me to mess up my back a month ago.

One of the other benefits I am already noticing is a lower stress level when working in the shop. Having to constantly fight my way around clutter, move heavy tools (by carrying them), never being able to find something when I need it (because of clutter and because tools are not organized well enough), dealing with dust, and too many other reasons to list have all contributed to a low level of anger when working in the shop that would spill over into purple clouds and a multitude of four letter words when little things happened that added to the general frustration.

For all of these reasons, the shop is getting organized and a face lift. I started on a router table cart yesterday. This will contain two drawers and a set of cabinet doors which will allow me to store all my router tools and bits in one location instead of having them all over the place. Once that's done, I am going to get the cabin windows on the boat completed (well, at least all cut out and ready for assembly in the future).

Then back to the shop with a scrap wood cart, some wall cabinets, and my favorite, electrical outlets along the wall. No more having to constantly plug and unplug extension cords!!
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Finally got he router table cart completed (mostly). Done enough that I can start using the table to complete the windows on the boat. I am itching to get back on the build as it's been several weeks since I've done anything.

IMG_20191123_180755.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

The cabinet looks great!

Isn't it nice to build something that does not need to be epoxy encapsulated :D
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

How do you do those square corners??? :roll:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Bill Edmundson wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:08 pm
How do you do those square corners??? :roll:

Bill
It's an illusion, they actually have a fair curve! :lol:

And Jim,
Yes, no encapsulation, and better yet, only minimal sanding!
Carl

Clipper Boating

footer

Post by footer »

Your flip table is a great idea. I’m going to make one for my Ridgid planer and sander.
I have the ridgid contractor table saw (I absolutely love) that I incorporated a router table into. It drops right into the tracks, tightens down, and I use the saw fence with this notched block clamped on To the fence to adjust my cuts. When I’m done, they just pop off and go on the shelf in seconds.
I leave this router screwed on all the time and have two other routers for my hand work.
Attachments
FC2C40AA-A7AC-4758-9F3E-872D38AF5B21.jpeg
978AA7E0-2E1E-4020-9A4B-13F5490A2767.jpeg

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

footer wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:56 am
Your flip table is a great idea. I’m going to make one for my Ridgid planer and sander.
Yeah, I love this thing already. It's not my idea, but I've known about them for sometime. I just finally decided to make one. There are many different designs out there so take some time to find one you like.

And.................

Finally, I am able to get back to the boat today, yay!!

The router table was purchased expressly for doing the cabin window frames. Of course, I'll find other uses for it, but it worked great. There was a bit of a learning curve involved as I've never used one before. But it makes it easy to do this type of work.

IMG_20191124_154058.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike »

That’s very impressive, Carl!
"How long does it take to build a boat? Until it's finished" — yours truly
Why did the boatbuilder get a divorce? Because he didn't have enough clamps to hold his marriage together!

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Carl I'm glad that you got the router table! Way safer and easier than trying to balance a router on that piece. You may even consider adding a table extension to it.

Is that the offset piece in the pic or the "regular" one?
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Carl,

Glad you were able to get back to your build. As you know, it will always be waiting for you :)

Lee

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Sorry I was away for a bit. Thanks for responding Mike, Jim, and Lee.

Jim, there are two of these for each window opening. One is slightly thicker than the other and will be milled to accept the window glass (after I buy the glass).

I'm preparing to install the cabin sides and want to put bungs to cover the screw holes. More on that on a moment.

I test fitted the window frames while I was cleaning up the cabin sides. The frames themselves have not been sanded yet.
IMG_20191129_124958.jpg

Regarding the bungs. From what I've been able to ascertain, these have to be cut with a drill press (which I unfortunately don't have). I may buy one but space is getting a bit tight in the garage (even with the improvements to layout), so not sure yet.

Has anyone successfully cut bungs using a hand drill? Furthermore, What about drilling the holes in the cabin sides for the bungs. I think that even if I did have a drill press, trying to balance that large cabin side on a small drill press would be a recipe for disaster. Can the holes be drilled by hand?
Carl

Clipper Boating

Return to “Power Boats”