Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Bill Edmundson

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Carl

I have cut bungs with a hand drill. It's no big deal. The press is easier though. I bought my drill press at Big Lots for $30. It does what I need it to do and is small and light.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Okay Bill, Thanks. I'll experiment with the hand drill first and then go from there.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Hi Carl,
I have cut close to 2,000 bungs for my boat. All on a drill press, using a fence. You could probably find a cheap bench top press from HFT if the hand drill is too difficult. But then it all depends on how many you are cutting. HFT also has plug cutters that are just fine. Once you cut all of the bungs, you can cut off the back side of the piece of wood and they will just fall out. You can easily drill the holes for the bungs with a hand drill. The most important thing is that you drill with a forester drill bit so you have clean edges for the bungs. I used varnish instead of glue for the bungs. (easy to re position if the grain direction isn't just right.) You can also purchase small quantities of mahogany bungs from classic boat connection, but they are pretty pricey. Page 9 of my build shows my "bung" phase in life.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Carl,

This is what we used to plug the caprails:

Milescraft 1318 Drillmate Drill Guide

Sorry I don't have a pic or a link.

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D Some where,I saw a way to make to make different size dowels-first,you drill a hole at a 45 degree in steel plate(same size as you need)then put square stick(close to same size)in a drill and force down hole.I haven't tried that yet but sounds promising.The pic showed 90 degree hole but bet that even just a little angle would be easier. :D then cut off dowel for plugs.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Plug cutters cut bungs with a taper. Tap the bungs into place with a tack hammer for a nice tight fit.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike »

Carl,

I use a cheap tabletop "mini" drill press to cut bungs. It works just fine, although I've found that I have to go slowly.

I haven't tried it with a hand drill... seems like it would be a real PITA to me. But then again, my plug cutters are nothing special. Off-the-shelf ACE Hardware.
"How long does it take to build a boat? Until it's finished" — yours truly
Why did the boatbuilder get a divorce? Because he didn't have enough clamps to hold his marriage together!

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike »

This looks like a newer version of the one I have.

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-5-sp ... 60238.html
Attachments
60238_W3.jpg
"How long does it take to build a boat? Until it's finished" — yours truly
Why did the boatbuilder get a divorce? Because he didn't have enough clamps to hold his marriage together!

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

If you need a drill press just to cut bungs, why not look into the "craigslist tool rental" program? Just find a drill press on Craigslist and sell it when you are done. If you find the right one, it probably won't cost you anything.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

TomB

Post by TomB »

JimmY wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:25 am
and sell it when you are done.
I keep forgetting that part. :lol: :lol:

A template hole cut to the plug cutter diameter might help get the plug cutter started since the cutter is centerless.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

I purchased a plug and plug hole set of the desired diameter from Woodcraft. I think Rockler and other places sell them, too. I set the drill press so it cuts the plugs in my scrap wood just before penetrating the wood to the other side. Then I pop the plugs free from the parent wood with a screwdriver. This is fast and easy and ensures the correct wood color and I can orient the grain pattern to get the best match.

I also pre-drill the cover and deck boards on the drill press to get the plug hole the correct depth leaving enough wood to secure the board with the screws. Then the plug hole is drilled and countersunk for the retaining screws. Once the boards are glued and screwed down, the plugs are popped in and sheared off and sanded. I do not use any glue so I don't prevent stain from properly soaking in. I let the finish coat be the adhesive.

Roberta
Attachments
plugs 002.JPG
plugs 003.JPG
plugs 004.JPG
plugs 007.JPG
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks for all the good replies everyone! I am going to give the hand drill approach a try first on some scrap and if successful I'll use it for the cabin sides. I=f I am uncomfortable with it, I'll go out and buy a a small (or maybe used) drill press.

I had to wait for the bung maker to arrive today so I decided to do some more shop work. I now have a roll around scarp wood bin (which I forgot to take a picture of) . I finished this on Friday. Today I installed a three door set of cabinets on the wall. I was going to make these, but figured that by the time I bought all the materials and hardware and spent a bunch of time making it, I could get an acceptable alternative by buying one already made. Not as strong as I could have made it, but I didn't really want to get into another distraction from the boat.

IMG_20191130_202856.jpg
Tomorrow, I'll be getting back to the bungs and hopefully get one of the cabin sides installed. Unfortunately I have to spend part of tomorrow at my real job so I won't be able to get both cabin sides done.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Carl - Your shop is looking nice and tidy; I may need to clean up my shop of these days too :D

I'm not sure if anyone has said this but another way to get the plugs out of the substrate: Once you drill a bunch of plugs, cover them with blue tape and re-saw them on the bandsaw, then pull the tape off and all the plugs will be on the tape ready to use. I'm not sure if your bandsaw is up to the re-sawing challenge though.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

rleete

Post by rleete »

When drilling holes on an uneven surface, where you need the hole to be perpendicular to the surface, I use one of these:
guide.jpg
Works with any drill, and small (and cheap) enough to toss in a drawer when you don't need it.
If you don't get the holes or plugs perpendicular to the surface, you risk gaps.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Well, I've been away for a few days. No excuses, it just happened. But I've made some progress on both the build and the shop.

The shop still needs the electrical installed, but boat work and family events have conspired to keep this on the back burner for the moment. Here's some pictures. Pictures of the build in the next thread post in a moment.
IMG_20191201_095658.jpg
IMG_20191201_095629.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

Return to “Power Boats”