Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Gayle Brantuk

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:25 pm

So beautiful, Carl! She's really taking shape.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:27 pm

Thanks Gayle, Lee, Jamie, Jim, Sarnian (can you let us know your first name?). It's very nice getting approval from others. The shape of the cabin sides has been a concern for me for at least four years.

Got the remaining bungs sanded down today after work. I am going to start on the forward section next. I think that I want to have the flush mounted opening windows on the front as well so it will take a bit of time to figure all of this out.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

joshuab

Post by joshuab » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:50 pm

Looking good Carl!
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:49 am

Thanks Josh
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

bstrong

Post by bstrong » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:44 pm

Very nice Carl, she is going to be beautiful

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:01 pm

Thanks bstrong (Bob, Bill ?)

Tonight I spent some time in the thinking chair and placed wood into position on the boat trying to get some idea how I am going to make the forward cabin faces. This is just preliminary work to help me think through and visualize the structure. One thing I've already learned already is that I need to pull the center piece a bit further aft to allow for the deck hatch cover that will eventually be installed.

But what I was really after was trying to see if the idea I had already come up with for the window frame structure was going to work and how it would look. There's a lot of tricky angles and considerations here, such as how the pieces tie into the deck, how they will attach to the cabin sides and the angle of the center post.Much more of course, but that's the purpose of this initial exercise.

Anyway, here's a picture of what I did. What's neat about this photo is that you can get a good sense of how it will look later.

IMG_20191210_184541.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:29 am

Lookin good Carl. This is the fun part of the build and the part where the "chair" gets a real workout !! You have to be excited to see the lines of the boat all coming together.

TomB

Post by TomB » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:41 am

The curve of the roof meeting the center post and the top window framing, Yikes. Tom

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:19 am

TomB wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:41 am
The curve of the roof meeting the center post and the top window framing, Yikes. Tom
Yeah, that's my concern as well. I am not sure it will be this way or if I need to lower that top edge some and then blend in the roof line with a curved forward piece that spans the entire width of the forward face. I am going to play around with this for awhile before committing to anything.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:59 am

Hi Carl,
Here's some pics that might give you some ideas on the roof lines.
Jim
Attachments
e04b9d43c8b56fdc768b32f55d679ff8.jpg
I saw this one on the Delta Cruise I attended.  Most like your design.
I saw this one on the Delta Cruise I attended. Most like your design.
2a2ffc80ded404a0b1fe65828c2e2b45.jpg
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:28 am

Thanks for posting these pictures Jim. The third one does look amazingly like mine. What I am wondering about is what the structure underneath looks like at the transition from the roof to the forward faces. It curves down from the roof line to the forward faces which could be accomplished either with a shaped piece of lumber or perhaps a cold molded section over some curved structure.

Consider that the roof itself will be two sheets of plywood (joined along the centerline) over the cambered roof beams in addition to curving for and aft to match the cabin sides. I believe by joining two sheets along the centerline, I can avoid most of the double compound curve effect of a single sheet, but there is no getting around that I will be going from that double curve to a straight line at the top of the window frames.

Looking more closely at the third picture, I wonder if by extending the top of the window frame up higher and tying it into a thick piece of lumber (which could be shaped to a curve) that perhaps that thick piece of lumber could also be shaped to match the camber of the roof line.

Hope this is making sense.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:37 am

Carl

On the Bartender I put the roof plywood perpendicular to the centerline. That way I didn't have to deal with a potential ridgeline. It gave a nice smooth curve.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:46 am

Bill Edmundson wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:37 am
Carl

On the Bartender I put the roof plywood perpendicular to the centerline. That way I didn't have to deal with a potential ridge line. It gave a nice smooth curve.

Bill
I am concerned about this ridge line also and was considering rabbeting the plywood into a center piece to make the transition smoother. Also, I have to check but I believe I am supposed to use 1/4" plywood for the roof.

On my boat, a single sheet will not be wide enough to cover the entire cabin unless I joint two sheets together with a scarf joint. It's pretty close to 6 foot from port roof line to starboard roof line. Did you scarf join your roof sheets?

An alternative to all of this which I am not really keen on doing is to cold mold the entire roof piece, however that would probably make for a strong roof and would have the smoothest curves.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:59 am

Carl

I did a butt joint. I have 2 roof beams running long ways. I arched the ply over them. I did a centerline piece from 3 pieces of ply, that left a wire chase on the roof for overhead lights.

Here are some pictures of what I did with the cabin front panels. Sorry I can't find a picture of the frame. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12277&start=375

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:28 pm

Carl,
Here's another pic showing some of the frame work.
Jim
Attachments
35-foot-1936Chris-CraftAft-Cabin-Cruiser-5.JPG
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Return to “Power Boats”