Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

TomB

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by TomB »

Look great Carl. In my world, "caulk to fit, paint to match", you're already done! :D Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Wow. When you look at a finished boat, you don't realize how complicated that section is. You are doing a great job. But then, I don't expexct anything else from you.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Beautifully done Carl!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Peter, Bryan, and Tom.

I've been somewhat busy with other activities but have managed to get some boat work done as well. The two front window back frames are glued together and ready for the next step which is shaping the side and center posts.

However, before doing that I needed to get the cabin side doublers started as they can potentially interfere with the side posts. I also want to get a better idea of how the roof line ties into the cabin sides and doublers. So I got the lumber I needed to make the doublers and these were cut out and shaped. They are temporarily attached to the cabin sides so I can figure out the final shaping at the forward and aft ends as well as determine how they will fit the roof line.
IMG_20191227_122324.jpg

And to make it more interesting, because of the lack of space up front, I have to overlap the window landings with the doublers , so I've cut out and planed down lumber for those as well. I'll be making those next.
IMG_20191227_154405.jpg

Finally, mainly just to get some idea of how she'll look , I mocked up the aft cabin opening. It's a bit hard to see in the picture, but imagine there being a narrow wall between the clamped in vertical piece and the cabin sides. The center section will be left open and there will be a curtain to draw across there for privacy. There'll be a curved transition to the roof beams as well.
IMG_20191225_154949.jpg
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Looking good, Carl. Really gives an idea of how it will look.

Any reason for the doublers to be so wide?
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

JimmY wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:38 pm
Any reason for the doublers to be so wide?
Jimmy,

The doublers have to support a 1 1/2" beam with a bit of meat left over so 2 inches would be the minimum I would want. When I initially laid out the curve, I chose 3 inches. However on the forward end it will be closer to the 2 inches. I still have to do some trimming for for length and maybe for width. The aft end currently extends farther down than it will ultimately be as it will likely tie into some trim along the upper edge of the cabin side piece. I am still trying to wrap my head around all of this before removing any material.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Looking good Carl, How much headroom will you have in there? Is it enough to stand up?
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Jim,
Milhouse wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:46 pm
How much headroom will you have in there? Is it enough to stand up?
Only if I stand on my knees or leave the roof covering off!! :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I knew this going into the build when I started. Even if built to original plan, it would have been 8 inches too short in the cabin. Since she is going to be a day cruiser mostly, and the helm will be located in the aft cabin (outside), height won't be an issue. There's enough room to sit and have extra headroom. Just like a tall car. Even at that, seeing over the bow is going to be difficult because of the cabin roof and the length of the bow.

Today was mostly spent in the thinking chair trying to wrap my head around all the complicated joinery, the interplay of roof line with the sides and front, future trim, and many other considerations. I have determined the locations of the roof beams so my next step will be to cut slots in the doublers for those. Since the roof plywood will rabbet into the top of the cabin sides, extra allowance will have to be made for the thickness of the plywood. I also wanted to make sure that when I do apply the plywood, that I can lay a seam between the panels on top of one of the roof beams.

IMG_20191228_141557.jpg
IMG_20191228_142406.jpg
IMG_20191228_142443.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain »

Really gives a feel for the cabin space. Looking brilliant Carl!
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Tony!

Made some more good progress today and got the cabin roof beams fitted. This is another of those big visual milestones. It really shows the cabin shape.
IMG_20191229_112704.jpg
IMG_20191229_135029.jpg
IMG_20191229_135149.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Carl

I can't tell if your front frames are taller than the roof arches. If they are not, I would put a doubler on the front and make a brow. The lower edge could parallel the window or be sloped. Then arch the top edge. Looks great! This is a fun part (When it's done.).

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Bill Edmundson wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:41 pm
Carl

I can't tell if your front frames are taller than the roof arches. If they are not, I would put a doubler on the front and make a brow. The lower edge could parallel the window or be sloped. Then arch the top edge. Looks great! This is a fun part (When it's done.).

Bill
The top pf the forward frame is currently slightly higher than the forward edge of the cabin sides but lower than the arches. The plan is to plane it down to match the roof line as it extends forward. I will be adding a doubler to the forward assembly as well. I am also considering the brow idea as it was something I had seen on other boats and it does look cool. We'll see when I get to fitting the roof plywood.

In the short term, I have to make the cabin window landings (side windows) because these are partially covered by the doublers . This means I will have to mill out a small relief on the glue side of the doublers to match the part of the landing that attaches to the cabin side. All of this is a consequence of the lower forward design of my redesigned cabin profile and the fact that I am making the windows a completely different design than called for in the plans. It should all come together as I have thought this through quite a bit.

So today was spent fitting and starting assembly of those landings.No pictures yet, but I'll have some after I start cutting them to shape. The process will be similar to the one I used for the window frame pieces.
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Well after a week of glue ups on the window landings, I was able to get them cut out and the cabin doublers milled to clear the landings on the front end. A lot of work but I am ready for the next step which is trimming the tops of the doublers in the cabin area so that the plywood lays right into the cabin sides.

This shows the window landings. Quite a bit of work to get to this point.
This shows the window landings. Quite a bit of work to get to this point.
The milling on the doubler necessary for it to lay over the window landings up forward.
The milling on the doubler necessary for it to lay over the window landings up forward.
The end result.
The end result.
Carl

Clipper Boating

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Great progress, excellent work!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Wow!

Return to “Power Boats”