Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

chugalug

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by chugalug »

ditto on what footer said.I had a bad feeling last fall that I wasn't going to live to see mine in the water,so the week before freeze up, I plopped her in for trials.Had a blast.sure there will be changes,but thats natural.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

bstrong

Post by bstrong »

Looking soooooo nice!!! Impressive to say the least, looking forward to your next post.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Don, Fotter, Tim, and BStrong,

My first two years of working on the interior were geared towards getting the boat completely finished. I kept thinking it wouldn't take that long, but the years progressed. Working full time and only having a limited amount of time to work on the boat has stretched this out for years and made me realize that building for functionality has to be the rule of the day.

Of course I would like to have it completely finished before the final reveal, but who knows how long that will take. Like the rest of you, I want to enjoy using the boat as well.

However, one benefit from the drawn out construction is that I have been able to save up for the trailer and the outboard as well as buy a good amount of the parts. The boat is essentially paid for so I won't have to borrow any money to complete her. So I guess that's a good thing and it will be nice not to have to worry about paying a note afterwards.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Baron

Post by Baron »

So many forum members, yourself included, are truly artists.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Baron wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:49 pm
So many forum members, yourself included, are truly artists.
That's a very kind comment Don. Thanks for including me in a very select group of builders here. I totally agree that many builders here are able to go above and beyond the pale when building these boats. I've seen some truly great looking boats. The bar keeps getting higher too.

And while I appreciate the comment, my level of workmanship isn't quite in the same league as some of these other builders. For one thing, I have a very difficult time visualizing things from an artistic point of view. Much of what I have done is a variation on other's ideas. And my carpentry skills are only average as I don't have a lot of previous wood working experience. The desire to be perfect is there, but the execution runs up against a lack of experience. :D :D
Carl

Clipper Boating

Baron

Post by Baron »

It Works. Mom used to tell me to chew nails and spit rust. I really wanted a boat.
Keep up the good work.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Got the port overhead plywood cut and mostly fitted. Still have a little bit of trimming on the outside edge. The compound curves are making it tough to fit, but it all lays in well enough that I can work with it.

IMG_20200224_173836.jpg
MVIMG_20200224_173550.jpg
The outside side and forward edges of the cabin top will eventually be rounded over.
The outside side and forward edges of the cabin top will eventually be rounded over.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

:D :D :D

Looks great Carl!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

Looks fantastic! I’m glad i didn’t have to work out how to build that....

footer

Post by footer »

Carl, you are a full fledged member of, “The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen!”
No one would ever know your woodworking skill level is anything less than.... Skilled! You ARE a Craftsman!
Your build is impressive and your latest work With your cabin is outstanding!
I’m excited for you and looking forward to seeing more. It’s really coming together now. 😀👍

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks for the excited and very complimentary comments Bill, Sarnian, and Footer!

It's been a great visual set of milestones to hit. The boat looked like a bathtub for so long. :D :D

One cool thing is that once I get the overhead plywood installed and glassed, I'll be moving on to the helm station which will be another nice set of milestones to hit.
Carl

Clipper Boating

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

But it was a nice bathtub-mine looked like Paul Bunyan's worn out slipper :lol: :lol:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Hi Carl,

It is really coming together, and very nicely I might add. It has been a lot of fun checking in on your progress, especially with more snow on the way in Michigan. It is 9:00 at night and they have already called off school for tomorrow.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Jimmy and Tim,

Sorry for the delay in replying. No excuses, just didn't seem to get around to visiting the forum for awhile.

I have been making some progress. The port overhead cabin skin was installed yesterday and I've started cleaning up the epoxy today. The starboard side is ready to mount but will probably have to wait until the weekend because the other took two hours to install and clean up so not really enough time after work just yet.

IMG_20200302_090036.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

Baron

Post by Baron »

That’s cool but I thought you were going with canvas 8)

Return to “Power Boats”