Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Bill Edmundson

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Carl

The Bartender is about the same size as the Vera Cruise. It is 24'. But, it's double ended. I have two 22 gal. tanks, one each side. The valve is A, B, or off. They have very little effect on the boat trim. My thought is to run one down, then switch to the other. Then fill the low tank. You keep fresher fuel, and if you get bad gas it is only in one tank.

I have a 115 Yamaha and 22 gal is a lot of run time.

Bill

PS: if you have closable tank vents... Make sure the vent is open on the tank you're using. :oops:
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

You could do like I'm doing-one fuel tank on one side and a water tank on the other.I got a plastic water tank but its too big to fit so thinking about building one out of ply and epoxy :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I've been staring at this picture all day, trying to visualize a different way of doing this that would have two seats. But I am sorry, I am going to stick to my original design on this. I am more interested in maximizing space and functionality in the aft cabin.

If you look at the picture, you can see that if I had two seats here, the opening on the door would be narrow. Putting that second captain's seat in there would make it cramped by the cabin and considerably narrow the opening into the cabin. It's very hot here in Austin and the open cabin is a must for us.

Secondly what are not shown in this picture because I haven't mocked them up are the bench seats and the motorwell. The motorwell would extend across the back in approximately the same position as the box on the left side by the transom. So the space remaining behind the helm is smaller than it appears in this photo. The bench seats will run along the port wall from the cabinet and then across the back in front of the motorwell. I am currently planning on leaving the area immediately behind the helm open for now.

Thirdly, I discussed this with my wife and she is with me on this. We both feel that space in the back is at a premium and she is more than okay with sitting on one of the bench seats while underway. If the boat were wider, I might do things differently.

IMG_20200322_135759 (1).jpg

Now before going further, I appreciate very much ALL of the feedback here, so please feel free to comment.

Regarding the feedback on the electrical , I am also considering a stereo and remote setup like you mentioned Bryan. I hadn't picked one out yet but I figured that would be the way to go.

As for the light switches on the panel, I tend to agree about putting them where they are needed. In the case of my cabin, there will only be one overhead light and two decorative lights. They all have their own switches. There will be LED light strips in the various storage compartments and I will probably have the switches for those on the panel for convenience.

One thing I am going to probably do is put the electrical panel in the helm cabinet with the panel facing into the cabin. This keeps it out of any rain. The helm has more room that the other location on the side wall that I was originally considering.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Carl: I like the idea of the electrical panel on the front(?) of the helm station. I would put it in a closable cabinet if there is enough room.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

DrBryanJ wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:30 pm
Carl: I like the idea of the electrical panel on the front(?) of the helm station. I would put it in a closable cabinet if there is enough room.
Yes and just to be clear what I mean is that it will be facing into the forward cabin and it will be inside a closable compartment. One of the reasons I chose the helm over mounting in the cabin sides was the depth available to me. 10 to 12 inches for the helm versus about 7 for the cabin side at the bottom edge and 5 at the top edge. Having the extra depth allows me to set the panel into the wall an inch and allows additional room behind it for a second panel where the bus bars will be mounted. The outer panel will be hinged to give access to it's back side and the second inner panel.

The switch side (distribution panels side) will be set in one inch allowing me to cover it with a wood and Plexiglas cover. Since the opening side will be inside the forward cabin, there should be no threat of water getting to the panel.

And in the measure once, cut three times category, I started on a small extension of the aft roof line. This needs to extend the roof line aft by 1.5 inches in order to line up with the boat's aft cabin floor panels. Why didn't I make the roof longer in the first place, because I didn't think o f it at the time.

But what is really the kicker is that I wanted to cut a 1/4" rabbet into the existing roof line to support the extension when I glue it into position. I want the extension to be 1.5 inches. So I cut a 1.5 inch wide strip. Forgot to allow the 1/4" for the rabbet. Cut #1.

I realized my mistake as I was trimming it to length. I also realized that it wasn't quite 1.5 inches. It was short 1/16th of an inch.

So I laid out the new measurements, clamped a guide in place and cut the second strip. The new guide was 1/16th inch further than the last time. Cut #2.

My dumb a..., forgot to allow the 1/4 inch for the rabbet again! :? :? :?

So it's too late tonight to do it again so it will get done tomorrow morning. Hopefully after cut #3 there will not be a fourth or fifth.
Carl

Clipper Boating

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Hi Carl,

Your aft cabin layout makes a lot of sense, and sounds like it will fill your needs. I like the idea of a wrap around seating and there are several examples of this in past builds. Sometimes a little asymmetry is a good thing. It's nice that you are open to all the comments, but like everything in life, there are compromises to make.

It's fun watching it all come together.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

mrintense wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:48 pm
I've been staring at this picture all day, trying to visualize a different way of doing this that would have two seats. But I am sorry, I am going to stick to my original design on this. I am more interested in maximizing space and functionality in the aft cabin.

If you look at the picture, you can see that if I had two seats here, the opening on the door would be narrow. Putting that second captain's seat in there would make it cramped by the cabin and considerably narrow the opening into the cabin. It's very hot here in Austin and the open cabin is a must for us.
You’re right Carl, your layout makes most since for your needs and I really like it. I’m really looking forward to seeing more wood installed.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Okay, so I've started on the work that I had mocked up. The first thing that is getting installed is an extension to the aft roof line. This is necessary to get the aft wall of the cabin to line up correctly with the aft cabin. I rabbeted the existing roof line and then epoxied the extension (which will extend an additional 1.5 inches) into place. And yes, I did cut this one correctly on the first try this morning. :D

Between the epoxy and the eventual fiberglass covering, as well as tying the new roof line trim into the structure, I am confident this will be plenty strong enough.

IMG_20200328_113430.jpg
IMG_20200328_123912.jpg
IMG_20200328_123931.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Carl, the great thing about building your own boat, as you know, is that you can make it how ever the heck you want. You're 10" wider than my Geronimo. I'm sure that translates mostly to interior space. But that still doesn't give you much room to pass between two seats into the cabin. The way you have it, anybody in the cockpit can pass freely into the cabin without too much trouble or shuffling around. I know you're concerned about it being hot in the cabin in the summer. However, with the cabin, you may find that you will be able to extend your boating season by a good bit.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I wonder if the Sea Knight is also narrower since it shares the hull design with the Geronimo. Perhaps it is the same design but wider? I am not sure. But I know for my boat that I wish the boat were a bit wider. On the other hand, if I wanted a modern wide boat, I could have bought one. This will be far better (at least when I finally get it in the water). :D :D

I cleaned up the aft roof line extension. It turned out pretty good. So the next step will templating the aft wall pieces and making those. They won't be installed right away because I need to see how they will tie into the floor structure. I'll make them a bit long to start incase I decide to extend them down throw the floor boards.

IMG_20200329_105409.jpg
IMG_20200329_105402.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

I saw something similar to what you're doing in Woodenboat.a helm seat on one side and a cabinet on the other side that had a removable cushion on top.cabinet held the kitchen box when used or stowed when cushion was used.Pretty simple. :D
tim 001.JPG
:D this devise eats cookies :lol:

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Pretty cool Tim. The lower part of my box on the left will not be very useful because it is actually hiding the fuel tank. But the upper section has room for some drawers or something. I'll start figuring that out when I get to it.

Had to do some yard work today. Not my favorite thing to do, but at least it was outside. However, I had time to make templates for the aft walls (at least the parts on the sides) and then cutout the plywood for those two panels. I have to diverge for a bit an determine the best way to mount these to the floor (or structure underneath). The starboard wall will form one side of the helm cabinet. Not sure yet about the port wall whether or not I want to make it part of the fuel tank cover.

I still need to make the template and parts for the curved upper section.

IMG_20200329_135440.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

How big is that fuel tank-Carl?I put in a 20 gallon one just for'ward of helm .I even cut a narrow slot in side cover board to act as sight guage if fuel guage goes on fritz.Am going to make marks for each 5 gal I put in. :D

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

chugalug wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:02 pm
How big is that fuel tank-Carl?I put in a 20 gallon one just for'ward of helm .I even cut a narrow slot in side cover board to act as sight guage if fuel guage goes on fritz.Am going to make marks for each 5 gal I put in. :D
It's a 22 gallon tank. The plan is to tuck it partly under the side opening and then isolate it from the bilge with it's own box which will have a forced air bilge blower to vent any fumes out of the boat. That internal box will be covered by the fuel box cabinet that is visible in the aft cabin.

I've been thinking a little bit about a simpler arrangement, but haven't drawn up any plans yet. However, the simpler arrangement would require less construction and less weight.
Carl

Clipper Boating

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:roll: Don't forget to drill holes for vent and deck fill.Its a pita later trying to get gas hose to fit in right.I had to mount my deck fill at a little angle as hull leans out at the carling-more than at the bottom
tim 001.JPG
nice thing is that no bends in gas line so could even use dip stick to check fuel :D caulking looks a mess-will be replaced with 402 after it warms up this spring.

Return to “Power Boats”