Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense »

Matt,

The decision was made to mount the fuel tank above deck for a couple of reasons. Primarily because the there really isn't enough space below the floors unless I spent big money on a custom aluminum design. I considered shallow tanks mounted on both sides of the keel, but everyone I talk to about this said that I would have to use dual flow valves because connecting them together below deck was supposedly not allowed.

Other reasons. I had considered mounting them between the frames above deck but the space was not very deep and again would have required custom made tanks. I also looked at shorter and longer rectangular tanks , but all of them were smaller than I wanted and still able to fit between two frames. I was trying to avoid having them extend into the aft cabin too much.

Finally I found the 22 gallon Moeller tank that fits handily in between frames and still below the level of the carling. This is the one I decided to go with. The fuel tank box it is installed inside of is to confine fumes to an area I can evacuate with a blower and the facade cabinet is to hide the fuel tank box while also providing some functionality in the form of drawers and a place to set a cooler or whatever.

One last consideration was placing the tank across from the helm to help balance the boat since I will be on the opposite side.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

The fuel tank facade cabinet is mostly finished with the major construction. I'll need to add some internal fittings to ensure it stays put when installed and I need to finish the exterior and encapsulate the interior. I'll get to that eventually.

I visited a Marine shop yesterday in the local area and I think I've found who I am going to go with when I get my motor installed. They've been in business for over 30 years and have a good reputation. I felt really good after talking to the owner who indicated to me that he has a passion for boats and boat projects. They were restoring a Dorsett speedboat there when I arrived. Looked real nice.

Anyway, talking to this guy answered some of my nagging questions regarding the helm controls and he's even offered to help me put the boat on a trailer when the time comes.

All of this got me fired up and I finished up the fuel tank facade cabinet this morning. Then started into figuring out the helm platform.The platform has to be strong enough to take the weight of a person seated while leaving room below for storage. I have a plan for that that I believe will work.

Here's a couple of pictures of the latest work.

I have a nice stainless latch that will be attached to the end of this hold it in place.
I have a nice stainless latch that will be attached to the end of this hold it in place.
Starting to glue up the center structure
Starting to glue up the center structure
Carl

Clipper Boating

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Looks good Carl. Glad you figured out who you will have install your motor. Another item to check off the list :)

Lee

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Lee,

I ordered my instruments this morning, so another pick check off for the list. I'm going with analogue white face instruments which I feel will look great on this boat. I need these to insure that I get the helm instrument cluster built right. Probably should have ordered them sooner, but I'm excited about getting them.

Here is the latest pictures of the helm station. It's starting to shape up now. The platform for the seat needs to have storage underneath and be real sturdy at the same time. I think I accomplished that. I stood on it this morning and there was absolutely no flex.

IMG_20200722_084126.jpg
IMG_20200722_084423.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Looks good Carl. I think that will accomplish your goal nicely.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

Really great work Carl - its a great build to follow. You are much more patient and careful than me...

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Coming together nicely Carl... I have loved following your build since Day One..... When was that anyway? Your attention to detail along with your ability to plan way ahead amaze me. Great workmanship !! I hope I get to see the finished product someday. Keep up the good work.. Neel

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Bryan Sarnian, and Neel.

I'm glad to be able to contribute to the forum. As for patience, well it's more stubbornness than patience. I just keep dragging myself out there day after day and get something done. Some days are not so much fun, other days are.

Neel, believe it or not it will be 8 years ago in about two weeks that I started! I originally thought it would take 3 years! It's a good thing I recognized I was getting bogged down in details several years ago or it would be a lot farther to get to the finish line. As of right now, I am trying to hit an initial launch of next summer. There's a tremendous amount of work to do until then, and plenty more after that, but the good thing is that I will have something to keep me occupied for many years.

A lot has changed for me in that time, but I am determined to finish this boat.

Today was spent mostly planning on the next parts of the helm structure and construction. Since this is all ad hoc, I have to try and be sure about as much as possible before committing to the next steps. But each step forward brings more steps forward into focus, so I continue to make progress.
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Well I was going to wait a little longer before posting a shot of the helm cabinet but I am at a point where I have to do some assembly work of the remote throttle so I can determine just how wide the throttle mounting surface has to be. That will determine where the other wall of the upper cabinet is going to be placed.

SO here is the cabinet so far. It's rather messy as I haven't cleaned up too much yet and of course there's more assembly to go. There is a smaller "D" shaped piece that will be mounted to the right once I have the throttle mount width determined. The throttle will go to the right of that.

The frame being glued up here is part of the opening in the cabinet to have better access to the interior.  The whole cabinet is designed to be installed as a unit (including the wall of the cabin).
The frame being glued up here is part of the opening in the cabinet to have better access to the interior. The whole cabinet is designed to be installed as a unit (including the wall of the cabin).
Carl

Clipper Boating

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Carl,

More progress as you press on and yet another step in the journey. Looking good :)

Lee

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Banging my head against the design aspects of this part of the build. I've always had trouble visualizing good design although when I see it, I can recognize it.

I'm still working on the helm. I had t take a few days off but I am getting back into it now. I bought a seat to use for now mainly because I am trying to find ways to speed up the work without resorting to anything permanent that I will regret later. The seat looks nice , probably will eventually try to come up with a more stylish design, but for now it gets me closer to launch.
It's just setting there right now to make sure its going to work.
It's just setting there right now to make sure its going to work.
I crudely colored in the photo of the helm so that you all can see what I have in mind. The area below the colored part will also be closed off, I just didn't bother to color it in. The throttle control is setting on the cabin roof.
The Gauges panel is at about 45 degrees, the steering panel at about 30 degrees
The Gauges panel is at about 45 degrees, the steering panel at about 30 degrees
And I am trying to figure out the best placement of the gauges I have. The gauge panel is fairly small, but its all I have to work with so it's challenging. In the following picture (as well as the other three I will post after this) the drawn rectangle represents the working area. The circles are drawn to full bezel size. There will probably be a few switches and do dads on the panel as well, but I want to figure out the placement first and get opinions.

When looking at these four photos, ignore the text on the circles as I am only trying to work on design right now. Also, I originally came up with 9 options and ruled out 5 afterwards. These are the four remaining but are still numbered according to the original 9 options, so please use those option numbers if you want to render an opinion.

Option 1
Option 1
The other three options will be posted in the next message following this one
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Here's the other three
Option 2
Option 2
Option 8
Option 8
Option 9
Option 9
Carl

Clipper Boating

kens

Post by kens »

What engine are you using?
a new engine that is compatible with digital electronics?
If so, then you can use a digital display that looks like a little TV screen, and it can display all your instruments, and more, and lots more
Are you using a classic old engine with classic old gauges?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

No Speedo?Oh ,I forgot! You'll be wearing that! :lol:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Motor will be Suzuki DF 115 (most likely). I've already purchased a set of retro white face gauges. They'll look more appropriate for this boat than a digital display.

And quite right, no Speedo. I had to give up something because of space constraints and from what I've read, speedometers are all that accurate anyway. Besides, I'm not overally concerned how fast I'm going, this is a cruiser so We'll cruise at what's comfortable. Can always use GPS on phone if I really want to know.

So what I really would like is some feedback on the various gauge layouts. I have my own favorite. My wife likes a different one. So have to get some feedback to see if there are other considerations.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Return to “Power Boats”