Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Bill Edmundson

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Carl

I extended a platform with a half hexagon let me move things back without loosing much foot room or being a trip hazard.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Seems easy enough to add a chunk to the back of the platform. I vote option 4 all day. No one will ever see that it was not made that way.

I like Bill's Idea of "cutting the corners." I think you only need to cut the inboard corner though.

If you did get a flip up seat, see if there is one that you can turn into a leaning post (has a cushion on the bottom when flipped up that you can lean back against).
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Carl:

Just a quick search came up with these two seats that might work, https://www.westmarine.com/buy/springfi ... --17075128, https://www.westmarine.com/buy/springfi ... 7QQAvD_BwE. Not cheap, but an option.

Another option is to build your own. You have proven very ingenious. I'm sure you can design one. I am planning on a flip-up seat as well. If I can find the link, I will post the hinges I am using. I think they are the same Tom used in his Tahoe
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

TomB

Post by TomB »

Bill Edmundson wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:07 pm
Carl

I extended a platform with a half hexagon let me move things back without loosing much foot room or being a trip hazard.

Bill
This is what I was suggesting, a D shape maybe. Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

TomB

Post by TomB »

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

I like option 4 also. Just make the extension a semi circle as Tom said, and possibly make the seat move fore and aft electrically using an actuator. I love gadgets, so the actuator idea would be a must for me !!

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal »

What you've actually been presented with here Carl is not a design oversight or error, but an opportunity to add even more pizzazz to your masterpiece. Following along with what Bill and TomB (our resident board certified bent wood artistic design master) have suggested, you need to go with option 4 but do it tastefully. A rudimentary drawing below shows a couple of ideas.
MrIntenseSeatStantion.jpg
Attachments
MrIntenseSeatStantion.jpg
Last edited by BayouBengal on Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I like alt. 1

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Post by kens »

is there a way to work in some storage space in there?
a drawer?
a door?
a shelf?
a hatch?
???
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

First off, thanks for all the responses Jim, Bryan, Neel, Tom, Bill, BayouBengal, Ken

Let me start off by saying that cutting off a corner makes sense. I was going to do this originally but had poor luck making the curved plywood and gave up on that idea. However, I've thought of a different way to accomplish it.

The second thing is that area was always intended to be a storage area which is why it has a beefy structure across the top. The door was supposed to be on the aft end. And I wanted to try and keep the opening wide enough to get something nearly as wide as the space in there.

The third thing is whatever extension gets added here, it will have to be strong enough to support the seat and still leave the space below accessible.

So, given all those constraints, the amount of curviness in the design is probably limited without some really complicated door opening.

Here are three ideas I've come up with so far. Only the first one with the regular rounded corner appeals to me. The piece of plywood clamped to the side wall is just simulating the extension I would need to add.

IMG_20200805_170914.jpg
IMG_20200805_172220.jpg
IMG_20200805_172442.jpg
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I've decided to go with a simple curved corner on the helm platform. Easy to make, and looks good. Since I had poor results with slicing and bending plywood last time, I decided to use the same technique I did on my foredeck hatch ring, namely stacking and gluing strips over a form. I got the form made up today and then glued up the corner piece. Once the epoxy is cured, I'll clean it up, smooth it over with sanding and fairing compound and then veneer it. Here it is in progress. The form will be removed .

IMG_20200806_104002.jpg
IMG_20200806_124733.jpg

I've also been test fitting the throttle control position on a piece of scrap plywood before committing to the piece I veneered for this part. I am going to move the throttle left about 1/2" from its position in the photo so I have better clearance for my hand.

IMG_20200806_092431.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

That is the one I would have picked as well Carl. I like your little derivatives to make the curve substrate :)

I think making that area into storage will be great.

I like your torsion box floor too, that a good idea!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

TomB

Post by TomB »

Looks good Carl. Tom

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Good solution Carl!

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Jim, Tom, and Steve. I'm feeling a bit worn out today. I'm actually off today and tomorrow for a long weekend and want to try and get a lot done on the boat but my body is complaining all over. Elbows, hands, knees, back. I may have to give it a break tomorrow, we'll see.

I got the curved piece cleaned up and fairing compound applied, so I can sand that down tomorrow. Veneering will have to wait for a few days as I am waiting for more vacuum bagging materials. But I am also working on the mounting for the hydraulic steering pump. I want to mount it so that most of the pump is behind the steering panel. I've worked out how to do this and did some experimenting with scrap. Next will be the real deal along with the throttle control mounting panel.

Finally, I don't think I showed this picture yet, but its most of the parts of the helm cabinet upper section set into position. No glue or hardwood edges yet. Mainly just a reference picture for me.

IMG_20200801_142754.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

Return to “Power Boats”