Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense »

Here are some updates on the motorwell. The first picture shows some of the structure under the splash well. The forward section (opposite the clamp) contains the structure that will surround the opening (still to be cut out) to give access to the area below the splash well (lower outboard motor bolts and bilge pumps in here).

PXL_20200929_133526361.jpg

The second photo is the battery tray under construction. There are a couple of things about this piece. First the supports underneath are angled and sized to keep the tray level in both directions. Secondly, the supports will get additional bracing so there will be more strength than the screws and glue on the edges. And thirdly, to gain a bit of side to side distance, I decided to step the battery tray to raise the second tray slightly higher than the other. Space inside here is fairly cramped and this allows a bit more room for cabling.

The step will be created by making some cross pieces (running 90 degrees to the supports) and then attaching the second tray on top of that.

PXL_20201003_160147396.jpg

The third photo give some idea of the remaining space in the aft cockpit. If I had not shortened the length of the forward cabin, the helm platform would have been a further 18 inches aft (about where the frame is).

PXL_20201001_230313122.jpg
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Kyle T

Post by Kyle T »

Looking very nice Carl! Great idea to shorten the cabin for more cockpit. It looks just snug.
Cheers
Kyle

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Carl,

It is amazing how many details go in to building a boat and you are munching through them :) Things continue to look good. Keep on keeping on...

Lee

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

It's looking great Carl. You mentioned that the second battery was going to be partially under the side decking. Is there anyway to incorporate sliders or rollers so you can remove the first battery, and slide the second battery over so it can be accessed better?
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks for responses Kyle, Lee, and Bryan.
Kyle T wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:55 pm
Looking very nice Carl! Great idea to shorten the cabin for more cockpit. It looks just snug. Cheers
I first decided to do this after looking at some older pictures of the Vera Cruise on the Glen L site. The aft cockpit just looked too small with the cabin the way it was and with the heat being the way it is out here in Texas, I just didn't dee the forward cabin getting a lot of use. I do wish that I had had the room in my garage to stretch the boat 10%, but It currently fits right up against the back wall and the garage door with two inches to spare.

denbrlr wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:13 pm
Carl, It is amazing how many details go in to building a boat and you are munching through them :) Things continue to look good. Keep on keeping on... Lee
I know what you mean about amount of details. My to do list has never gotten shorter yet. I am always finding new things to do as I remove previous items from the list. But with these final large construction items, it is really starting to look more finished (even though none of the interior is yet permanently installed). At times this exacerbates the feeling of "When am I ever going to get done?".

DrBryanJ wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:31 am
It's looking great Carl. You mentioned that the second battery was going to be partially under the side decking. Is there anyway to incorporate sliders or rollers so you can remove the first battery, and slide the second battery over so it can be accessed better?
I've considered rollers and tool box drawer sliders and I do want to reduce the hassle factor of getting to and servicing the batteries. I am just not sure yet how I want to do it. For now, I am going to mount the batteries on the tray and make sure of two things. First, leave enough slack in the cabling to move them around and secondly ensure that the access opening is wide enough and tall enough to get at them (as well as leaving open the possibility of adding sliders later).

Like many of the parts of this build, having little experience with boating has made me tend towards trying not to build myself into a corner. This is the same reason why I elected to leave out the built in seating for now.
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Battery tray is assembled. It'll be fiberglassed and painted before installation.

Next up is to figure out how to have sufficient access to service and move batteries in and out of compartment.

PXL_20201004_161810915.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

nc721

Post by nc721 »

Looking real good Carl. I like the tiered battery tray.
Nick

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

Don't forget to vacumm up any wood shavings from bilge-they'll clog up the bilge pumps(wonder how I know this :roll: )Ever wish you built longer?
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Nick and Tim,

I think the tiered tray is going to work out okay. Probably should have built it just a bit taller, but I do want to leave a fairly sizable space above the batteries as well to make it easier to get them in and out.

Don't worry Tim,

Everything you are seeing here is sub assemblies built in place, but not installed yet. Once the major dust creation stuff is done, I am going to move everything out, clean the bilge and touch up any paint needed. Also paint inside the side compartments and of course lay in all the wiring and such. Then final assembly begins.
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

chugalug wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:11 pm
Ever wish you built longer?
Yes, very much so. But it was never an option for me. The boat just clears the garage door and back wall and there is no room to turn it diagonal. And actually, my initial choice was to have been a Sea Knight (17 foot) but I took a chance that I could squeeze the Vera Cruise in there. Given what I know now about the boat I think I might have only built in the V berth and found a more creative approach to hiding the head box. Then a even shorter forward cabin to gain even more aft cockpit floor space. I also kind of wished I had gone with the sedan style approach with the helm in the cabin.

But it is what it is and I won't be building another so this is what I will work with.

IN news on the build, I am plugging away at structural members in the battery compartment. It's been quite busy at work so I am limited to fairly short work periods most days. The plan for the port motorwell compartment is the battery compartment down low with a panel above that separates that compartment from the upper compartment. Then in the upper section I am going to build in an ice chest eventually (although I'll leave that until after the launch). A small section of that upper compartment will be set aside for a small tunnel to feed the fuel hose through.

That fuel hose tunnel will have some curves built into the inside corners to make it easier to feed a hose through there and the tunnel will prevent any leaks and fumes from being exposed to electrical in the battery compartment. The ice chest will be accessible from the top and removable to get access to the fuel hose tunnel for the times I need to inspect the fuel line.

The starboard motorwell compartment has no plans as of right now. At one time, I considered building in a space for a small Honda generator, but honestly, I don't see much need for that. I will eave that area alone for now until I can figure out what I might use it for. It will be built up and closed off, but empty for the time being.

Pictures of the area are a bit sparse at the moment so I will post something soon.
Carl

Clipper Boating

dmac

Post by dmac »

Hey Carl - Is it too late to shorten the fore-cabin? After all, you will use the boat for many years and 3 extra feet in the cockpit would be very nice. It might be quicker and easier to make the change than you think at first blush. Or not. Just a thought. Cheers, Doug

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

dmac wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:27 pm
Hey Carl - Is it too late to shorten the fore-cabin? After all, you will use the boat for many years and 3 extra feet in the cockpit would be very nice. It might be quicker and easier to make the change than you think at first blush. Or not. Just a thought. Cheers, Doug
Well it could e done, but it would considerably undo quite a bit of the work I've already accomplished and present some installation problems for some parts. Also the roof of the cabin is essentially complete so modifying that would be a major undertaking. However, the real reason I don't think I would do that is because I already have shortened it 18 inches previously and I don't want to delay the launch any further. If I were younger, it's something I might consider. Thanks for the suggestion Doug.

I got a little more done on the battery compartment structure this afternoon. Not a lot of visual progress but you can begin to see what I have in mind.

This structure is the beginnings of a part of the upper compartment that will eventually house a built in ice chest and a sealed tunnel for the fuel line. The tiered battery tray is not in the picture but it goes on the lower level
This structure is the beginnings of a part of the upper compartment that will eventually house a built in ice chest and a sealed tunnel for the fuel line. The tiered battery tray is not in the picture but it goes on the lower level
Carl

Clipper Boating

dmac

Post by dmac »

You'll get many years of enjoyment out of your boat either way, Carl. After some use, you'll probably end up preferring it the way it is. Doug

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

A little more progress on the port motorwell compartment. The upper section will contain the fuel line coming from the fuel tank and I will be building in a ice chest here as well. The lower compartment shows how the batteries fit. There's enough room above them to take off the lids of the boxes. I also plan on an LED light strip on the underside of the middle panel to light up the battery compartment.

PXL_20201011_181029692.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I'm starting now on the structure for the starboard motorwell compartment. I'm doing minimal work there for now since I don't really have a use for this compartment yet. I want to get the top pieces for the motorwell made and then I am going to dis-assemble everything and start getting the underfloor area cleaned up and painted. I want this area to cure for a long time before putting down the floor boards so I'll get it painted and then work on other areas of the boat for awhile. Seems like the list of things to do is endless.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Return to “Power Boats”