Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense »

denbrlr wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 11:55 am
Carl,

Things are looking great. I am not sure if you will have some white trim left after you are done but the white against the wood looks nice.

Lee
Thanks Lee.

Yes, the aft cabin wall will some shade of white. The lower interior of the aft cabin will be white , the boat hull will be white and the top of the cabin (roof) will be white. The sides of the cabin inside and out will be a natural wood color. I've decided to go with tung oil and spar varnish. When I say white , like the boat hull, it will be some shade of white, i haven't decided which yet, but I doubt it will be bright white.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

nc721

Post by nc721 »

Your attention to detail is incredible Carl. Boat is looking great.
Nick

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Nick.

As I mentioned in your thread, the detail can sometimes get in the way of getting a functioning boat. There are certainly many details that we al want to include, but I have been trying to focus on functionality for the last several years leaving all the pretty stuff until later. I deviate from this when it makes sense to do the detail work (if I think if it) but mostly I just want to get it in the water. So my launch, when it happens will be a barebones completion with the intent of spending additional time later to complete the fit out while still being able to enjoy time on the lakes.

In news of the build, the aft cabin wall is fiberglassed and I have started preparing to finish most of the interior wood work, finish meaning applying tung oil and varnish. Some areas will wait until later but I expect that by Autumn, there will be a considerable transformation in appearance, hopefully sooner, as I am anxious to get started on installing electrical and mechanical equipment.

One other long delayed task which I've started on is smoothing out the epoxy at the junction between the top decking and the hull sides on the exterior. I had the done the port side over a year ago, but never got around to the starboard side until now. I want to get this done before doing the finish work since it makes a lot of dust.
Carl

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I will be in for a lengthy slog for the next few days (weeks?) as I Tung oil and varnish the various pieces of the aft cabin. I am planning on at least 6 coats of varnish with smooth sanding in between, so I expect it to take a bit of time. However, to give a small preview, here are before and after shots of the starboard cabin side interior. The after shot is only with Tung oil at this point, but I really like the look of it.

Before. The piece clamped in place is just a visual aid to help me figure out eventual trim.
Before. The piece clamped in place is just a visual aid to help me figure out eventual trim.

After Tung oil
After Tung oil
Carl

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Fantastic carl! I used to watch David Mark's woodworking on PBS. He used a combination of tung oil, polyurethane, and naphtha on all of his furniture projects. Tung oil is my favorite finish. Since your boat looks like a fine piece of furniture it's the perfect finish.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

I like watching you take your time and build each part meticulously, beautiful.
Matt B

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks for the kind word gentleman, it is very much appreciated

However, when it comes to carpentry, Norm Abrams, I am not! :D There are some seriously talented builders in this group, I count the both of you in that group. Many of the builds here are truly works of art. Jim, your dedication to building an accurate replica. And Matt, how you've managed to do two of these, amazing stuff. I feel honored to be part of such a group.

What I do have going for me is the desire to stick with it and the desire to have something unique. My design skills are adequate, leaning more towards the functional than the appearance, not necessarily by desire, just more so by ability. But I have found this project to be enjoyable for the most part and of course like the rest of you, very satisfying.
Carl

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

I wouldn't want to be the one that puts the first scratch on her.You might have to hire "OLE OLSON" from Ole's boat scratching service.
IMG_1364 (1).JPG
I'm bored-no boats to scratch.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

chugalug wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 7:17 am
I wouldn't want to be the one that puts the first scratch on her.You might have to hire "OLE OLSON" from Ole's boat scratching service.
Didn't you hear. I am going to make this boat a trailer queen. All shiny and never used!! :lol: :lol:
Carl

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

So far so good on the Trailer Queen! :lol:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Trailer Queen would be a great name for a boat. Or my wife after I sell our house to finance the next boat build.

But seriously, Carl, that finish looks gorgeous. Can wait to see it all varnished up.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Tim, Bill, and Matt
hoodman wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 10:38 am
Trailer Queen would be a great name for a boat. Or my wife after I sell our house to finance the next boat build.
Or perhaps "Knot A Trailer Queen"
Carl

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

Make sure you're using bunks on trailer.Hate for one of those rollers to pop a hole when you hit a hole.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Definitely will be using a bunked trailer.

Making slow progress on the varnishing. Had to work all weekend so didn't get a lot done. Sometimes it happens that way. :(
Carl

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Tung oil is amazing stuff. It's transformed the helm station and I haven't even applied any varnish yet. And just to be clear the two plywood areas (side wall and top of platform) will be getting different finishes.

I'm really pleased with the way this is coming out, although all this sanding and varnishing reminds me of a hull I once primered and sanded for weeks! :D :D

PXL_20210527_144414559.jpg
Carl

Return to “Power Boats”