Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense »

Hercdrvr wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:24 am
You have done what no one else has ever done, make flotation foam nice and neat. It’s beautiful! How many gallons did you use?
Thanks Matt! :D

So far only one two gallon kit. I am going to end up opening up the second to complete these 5. But just barely. I still will be doing more for the front cabin at some point so I suspect that second kit will get used up. If I need any additional, it will be a quart kit at most, but I doubt I will need it. This stuff expands a huge amount. Two ounces(mixed) is enough to fill up one 33 inch long by 6 inch wide by 2 inch deep tray.
kens wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:22 am
that is cool, nice job
Thanks Ken! :D
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

The work that you have put into the foam is incredible.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

hoodman wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:06 pm
The work that you have put into the foam is incredible.
Thanks Matt! :D

I've gotten quicker at making these. I've got the remaining 9 trays assembled and ready for foam, hopefully tomorrow. Then trim and final epoxy , install standoffs, and done! Yay!

These are the remaining nine trays for the port side.
These are the remaining nine trays for the port side.
Carl

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Just a little fun while building.
PXL_20210430_002244528.jpg
Carl

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

:lol:

I don't know how many epoxy marked shirts I have!
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

JimmY wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:05 pm
:lol:

I don't know how many epoxy marked shirts I have!
And pants, and shirts, and shoes ! :D :D

But yay!, I am done with the aft cabin flotation trays and can now start on installing aft cabin equipment. First up is getting the helm mounting worked out , do a bit of trimming on the helm for cable and electrical and hydraulic access, and mark out and cut out a temporary access opening which will be dressed up later (easier to cut it out now before I install the helm).

Here's the last of the flotation trays. This is the port side. The outermost compartments aren't deep enough to bother.

PXL_20210502_002057044.jpg
Carl

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I've started working on getting the helm final fitted. This includes adding a shelf and storage area just outboard and rough cutting an access opening for it. I still have to do some more trimming on various interference areas to get the helm to fit up flush to the cabin sides. It's close, but there are a few spots still interfering.

The smaller cutout ("U" shaped) is to give a path for electrical lines, hydraulic lines, and throttle cables. The larger access opening gives good access to the storage and any electro/mechanical/hydraulic equipment passing through this area. The plan for the access cover is similar to what I did for the electrical compartment on the lower helm, basically a panel that locks in from the bottom and is held in place by a few latches. This gives excellent access without worrying about having to provide clearance for hinged panels.

Cutout for path for electrical, hydraulic, and cable lines
Cutout for path for electrical, hydraulic, and cable lines
Shelf in the storage area. I'll probably use this area for a spot light and extra rope or something.
Shelf in the storage area. I'll probably use this area for a spot light and extra rope or something.
The access opening is only rough cut here. There will be a DC electrical port mounted above it.
The access opening is only rough cut here. There will be a DC electrical port mounted above it.
Carl

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

Don't forget to have room for the "Chum Grinder".Keeps those snoopy people that follow too closely away. :lol:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Carl,

Looking great. That approach to the floatation foam is slick. I also like the look of that shifter/throttle assembly.

Lee
YouTube channel: Boat Builder Lee
Monaco build YouTube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP4Edb ... /playlists

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

chugalug wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 6:06 pm
Don't forget to have room for the "Chum Grinder".Keeps those snoopy people that follow too closely away. :lol:

Ha! Just so long as some giant fish doesn't attempt to join me on the back of the boat!
denbrlr wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 6:59 pm
Carl,

Looking great. That approach to the floatation foam is slick. I also like the look of that shifter/throttle assembly.

Lee
Thanks Lee. Yeah, I like the look of that throttle assembly as well although when I first got it, I was having some doubts about whether it was the right choice from an operational perspective. I've since decided it will be nice having separate controls after watching other people use this type of control. Now just need to get it all put together.

Not a lot of new news but I've gotten the helm interference issues worked out and it fits good now. I'll be working on the means to mount it to the boat for the next few days and then temporarily I will switch to the other side of the cabin to work on the other cabin wall. I want to get this part of the cabin finished (or at least a plan worked out) so I can fasten down the floor boards and start the assembly process for real.
Carl

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Everything is looking very sharp Carl!

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

Carl, have you confirmed with your outboard supplier that you can use this Morse control with your outboard choice?

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks for the responses Steve and Billy

psychobilly wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 7:33 pm
Carl, have you confirmed with your outboard supplier that you can use this Morse control with your outboard choice?
Yes I had originally thought I was going to have to go with the factory control based upon a discussion with a previous dealer, but the dealer I am working with has assured me there is no issues.
Carl

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Epoxy work while a necessary thing to do in boat building tends to happen at the wrong times. Because of the curing requirements, it can slow down productivity. So why does it always seem that when I have the most time to work on the boat, i.e. the weekends, that I end up having to do epoxy work?

Fortunately, at least this weekend, there are some other fairly non dusty things I can work on, but what I want to be working on is getting the floorboards and aft cabins piece installed permanently. Soon.

Anyway I plan on painting a portion of the aft cabin wall the same color as the cabin roof (some shade of white as yet undetermined) and I want to make sure that it is fiberglassed as well to help avoid checking of the plywood. SO yesterday and this morning, I have begun that process.

Another task I have to do is apply a finish to various wood areas that will not be painted. I am experimenting right now with various finishes, trying to find the best choice. The helm station, interior of the aft cabin wings and the fuel tank façade cabinet will all be finished in natural wood.

Three areas are getting glassed. The upper aft cabin wall, the upper section of the port aft cabin wall (cloest to viewer) and a small piece just forward of where the throttle will be on the helm.
Three areas are getting glassed. The upper aft cabin wall, the upper section of the port aft cabin wall (cloest to viewer) and a small piece just forward of where the throttle will be on the helm.

PXL_20210515_151718307.jpg
Carl

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Carl,

Things are looking great. I am not sure if you will have some white trim left after you are done but the white against the wood looks nice.

Lee
YouTube channel: Boat Builder Lee
Monaco build YouTube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP4Edb ... /playlists

Return to “Power Boats”