Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by chugalug »

Kinda like what Ray did with his "True Grit"? :roll:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

garyb

Post by garyb »

Thanks again for the reply Carl. Helpful as I consider cabin options for the hull I end up with.

Yeah, I've convinced myself that I want a bit more Vee at the stern, for the Columbia. But I still want a Retro looking cabin, similar in content to that on a TwoPlus.

I'm exploring options and getting feedback for a deeper vee design on the "Deeper Vee for Retro Cruiser options" thread. Getting closer to figuring something out.. I hope.. :-)

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

PB jumps up and hallers west>>> CARL!! Ya frozen yet!?!?!

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:roll: Is the power on yet?We've had -35 to -40 for last 11 days.I'll see if we can send you some.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

chugalug wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:40 pm
:roll: Is the power on yet?We've had -35 to -40 for last 11 days.I'll see if we can send you some.

Wow that’s frigid!!!

We only been in the teens for a day. I was on a plane last night bound for Turkey. Sat on the tarmac for a lil over 4 hours before they dumped us off. I drove back home at 2am. Took me a while but I made it. Been on genny almost 24 hours.

Carl’s area was hit harder I think. I hope he’s ok. Defo no epoxy going on right now!! Slap water between two boards and they’ll stick!! lol

Lots of people without power. Gotta love GAS right about now!!!! Neighbors that don’t have gennys are burning anything that they can find.

Lost water, lost power.... let’s hope that the city gas pipeline hangs strong!!

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

I feel sorry for you guys in Texas. I'm sure you are not used to it and were caught unprepared. Here we are ready for cold and power losses. Best of luck to you all and God bless. By the way, why are they rolling power outages around Dallas?
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks for concerns guys. It has been very cold here, far colder than I've seen since I move here in 2004. Definitely too cold to work on the boat. The last thing I managed before it got cold was adding the final fill coats on the splashwell fiberglass.

We had power out most of yesterday and last night. Rolling outages today. I can't speak for Dallas, but Austin has had several areas without power for over two days. Houses here are generally not insulated either so it gets very cold quickly.

We're supposedly in for another spell for a few more days and then back to warmer weather.

Take care everyone and stay warm. Winter is nearly over.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

Yeah, we’ve been on genny since Monday 2am. Lost water yesterday as the City froze up. Since they froze and we couldn’t move water, we then froze. Been interesting here in Houston. The Governor is writing an executive order to ensure that this power generation company tightens up.

Glad you’re ok Carl.

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Glad everyone is OK. Stay safe and try to stay warm.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Sending warm thoughts your way. We should be in the 40s here next week. Then rain so our are is probably in for some flooding.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

X23

Post by X23 »

Sorry you have endured cold & lack of power & water. Hopefully the weather & utilities will return to normal soon.

Now don’t worry about the electrical part of your project. You will have lots of help from folks who have done it ahead of you, and here I can finally give some real assistance. After some discussion on what you need & want, you can build a system which is economical & safe. It can meet ABYC & USCG standards and will pass inspections.

The physical tasks are easy to learn and you will get lots of practice since they will be duplicated over and over and over. Like measure, cut, strip, prepare, compress, heat shrink. Then grit your teeth, remove and set that one aside and measure twice the next time, etc.

With the good work you have done on the hull and the way you like to think through the next steps, the electrical part will turn out so you can be proud of that facet also.

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Hope you are doing well Carl. My parents are in Tx and had a 14" of snow and were out of power for a few days.

If you are going to do a schematic (and I 100% recommend it) I can send you mine as a starting point, its done in Design Spark Electrical (free)
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks for the advice and offers of help. The cold has left and temps have returned to normal. The build has stalled mostly because I've been pre-occupied with other non-related issues.

I will be taking a week off from work later this month and plan on getting things going again. I still have some clean up and prep work in the aft cabin to complete first. Mostly just cleaning the bilge, touching up encapsulation and paint and getting the floorboards ready for permanent installation.

As for the electrical, I already have a copy of the electrical plans available from Glen L and from those I made my own drawings and adjustments. As far as the actual tasks of wiring, I am not too concerned as I have an aircraft mechanic background in my earlier life. There's a small laundry list of tasks I want to accomplish first before starting on that. But I will get started on that during the spring.

As mentioned, other non-related issues (not serious but still distractions) have been keeping me away from the build. Mostly because they take up valuable time.
Carl

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Well I'm making good progress on getting the aft cabin area read to start installing parts. After doing the motorwell, I knew the next job was going to be getting the bilge area cleaned up and the floorboards installed. I also wanted to paint the areas between frames . I'm off next week and have gotten the paint down. I want to let it cure for the week while I work on other things. First up is an experiment to make some foam containers for holding expandable foam. I'm considering hanging these containers between te floor supports and filling them with foam. This provides some level of flotation (not enough but its a start), but also should reduce the water slap noise from under the hull.

By placing the trays in between the floor supports, I leave room underneath for the bilge to channel water and I can easily pull these out whenever I need access. They'll be trapped between the floor structure and the floorboards. We'll see how the experiment works out this week.

In the meantime, here is a picture of the work I have been doing.
PXL_20210319_210119961.jpg
Carl

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Carl: That is my plan for floatation as well. I bought 1/2 ridged pink insulation. I am cutting to create a pink box to fit in the bilge under the sole, which I will fill with pour-in foam. They will sit on top of the battens to allow water to migrate aft. I plan on using duct tape to hold them together and do incremental pours to reduce the chance of a side blowout. Unfortunately, it is cold in NJ and the two-part foam wants temps above 75 degrees. I have had to put this off until summer.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Return to “Power Boats”