Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Jimbob

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by Jimbob » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:48 pm

Sorry to hear that.
Maybe it was your blade that caused the problems.
I always use a thin kerf diablo RIP blade. I clean it regularly so there's no pitch buildup on the teeth, and sometimes put paste wax on the blade for lubrication. Also check the blade alignment if you are getting burn marks. My saw is an old craftsman from the 50's and it cuts sapele with ease.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:31 pm

Sounds like time for a new saw? Depends on parts availability for the one you have I suppose. It's always hard work resawing thicker material, needs thin blades and horsepower... Hope you can get your strips done soon!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:33 am

Whenever I cut African mahogany it had a lot of internal stress and would bind up the blade. Make sure your splitter is lined up properly, and maybe have a helper use a wedge on the out feed. No one in the area with a decent bandsaw?
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:57 am

I would just get a new saw. If you need a portable one Saw Stop has a contractors saw now. Safety++ Power++ Accuracy++

Were you using a rip or crosscut blade? How much tooth was exposed above the wood?
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:46 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Just a recap,
I started with a new combination blade which seemed to work okay, but the table saw itself has a crappy fence. I was only cutting half the thickness using this saw, flipping the part over and cutting the other half. Worked so so.

The motor gave up the ghost after just a few pieces cut. I am pretty sure it's the bearings, but I decided that I've had enough with this saw. It'll be going to recycle as soon as I can drop it off.

I decided to pick up a new table saw, a Dewalt 7491RS, a contractor saw. I don't have room (nor the money to spend) for a high end table saw. This saw has good reviews and the fence mechanism looks far better than my old one. Also has a more powerful motor. It's being shipped and I won't have it until next Friday.

However all is not lost. I ordered some new blades for my bandsaw and upped the speed. It's slow going, but I can cut the strips reasonably flat using this approach. I just finished running the first 8 strips through the planer and they came out fine.

IMG_20190707_151141.jpg

I will be laminating these up tomorrow morning before it gets too hot. Then 24 more strips to cut and plane to get three more roof beams.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:12 pm

Looks great Carl, glad that worked out with the band saw and planer. That's what worked for me, it's a bit of a chore but worth it!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

footer

Post by footer » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:14 pm

I bought the Ridgid contractors table saw several years ago from Home Depot and have had great luck with ripping hundreds of cuts. I did find, like someone said, the mahogany has a lot of internal stress and a straight board ripped down to squirly boards.

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:57 am

Glad to see you're able to keep moving forward.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:42 am

I got lazy this morning and didn't get up in time to laminate the first cabin beam. Then I started getting distracted on designing my helm. I've been working on this off and on for a couple of days trying to come up with something that'll work for me and what I am looking for.

The plan is to use this drawing to create a more detailed mock up and see if it will work.Button placement and instrumentation holes are strictly for getting the idea across. Actual placement will be determined later. Steering will mount to the angled section in the front.

Helm Station Ninth Attempt.png
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:53 pm

Here's a slightly later revision. This includes the raised platform with storage underneath for the folding table and pole. Also a footrest. Some of this is a bit out of scale, but I was mainly trying for what it will look like before I start on the mockup.

Helm And Raised Platform.png
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:47 pm

Great, as always, Carl. You might want to mount your switches somewhere where you don't have to reach through the steering wheel to activate them.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:27 pm

hoodman wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:47 pm
Great, as always, Carl. You might want to mount your switches somewhere where you don't have to reach through the steering wheel to activate them.
Thanks Matt,

Yeah, The switches and instruments are just a representation for now. I think I could probably mount the switches on the flat side plates on either side of the angled steering wheel mount. Another thing I haven't figured out is placement of the throttle. This is why I want to do another mock up. I also still need to get some basic questions answered about what types of instruments, and throttle I can use. I won't be committing to a final design until I am sure it will work.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:23 am

With that console, are you going with a binnacle mount throttle?
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:51 am

Carl

You may want a flat place to sit a drink down.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:43 am

hoodman wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:23 am
With that console, are you going with a binnacle mount throttle?
I want to get the binnacle mount similar to the old style Morse controls, but before doing so, I want to verify with the dealer that this will be usable with the Evinrude ETEC.
Bill Edmundson wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:51 am
You may want a flat place to sit a drink down. Bill
Good idea Bill, I will add that in. I still need to make a few mods anyway.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Return to “Power Boats”