Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:37 am

It's been a busy several days, mostly non boat work, but lots of good things happening, so I can deal with it.

In the build, I spent some time discussing outboards and throttle controls with my Evinrude dealer and the gist of the conversation was that I can use the type of instruments I want with the dash, but using the old style binnacle mount was not advised because of the need to use adapters on the cables. According to the people in the shop that do this work, these adapters usually end up having slop that is difficult to remove. Also, depending upon the aftermarket manufacture of the binnacle mount, the throw of the levers may be insufficient or not really suitable for the outboard. And to be hons=est, the binnacle mount I was looking at did say not suitable for Evinrude.

So, given that, I am going to go with the Evinrude binnacle mount which still looks nice. However, there is another potential problem that I need to determine how to deal with. According to the dealer, Evinrude is planning on releasing the G2 version of the 115 ETEC later this year and the dealer is unsure how long the G1 versions will continue to be available after that.

This presents a problem in that the G2 is more expensive, rigging is way mote expensive ( it's fly by wire), and the motor's looks are not ideal for my boat. Given that I am at least 18 months away from being able to use the motor, it's possible I may not be able to get one! I don't want to purchase it ahead of time since the warranty will be used up just setting in my garage. So I am going to have to figure out how to handle this situation.

IN other news, I finally got the first cabin beam parts laminated together. It's been so hot here, that I had to wait until the early morning to do it. And this morning was the first early morning I had free. Messy business and somewhat stressful trying to get it all together before the epoxy sets up.

IMG_20190711_075620.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

TomB

Post by TomB » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:55 am

The beam looks good Carl...although that fifth clamp might be a 1/2" out of line :D Tom

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:11 am

Good eye Tom.... I spotted the same thing. Carl is slipping. His clamp spacing was much more consistent in the earlier days of his build.... Maybe the heat made him lose "clamp concentration" ! !

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:12 am

Yeah, you know it's going to be a hot one when it's 78 degrees outside at 6 AM!!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:30 pm

I am gradually making my way through the steps to get the cabin roof beams made. The new blades in the band saw a re working well enough and that first laminated beam has been cleaned up.

IMG_20190714_145710.jpg

I have enough planed strips to make another and need only two more to make the third. If I need a fourth beam (not sure yet), then I'll have to cut 8 more strips and plane them as well.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:50 am

Small update. Been busy (as usual) with non boat stuff so I have less time to apply to the build. I've cut all the strips I need for three of the four roof beams. I am not sure yet if I need the fourth beam. The strips have all been planed down. I am waiting for the weekend so I can do the next lamination early in the morning.

IN the meantime, I am starting to plan for the next phase of the build, which will be applying the decking (yay!). I've thought about the anchor well up forward some more and I desire to eventually add a bow roller to this area. Additionally, I've never been all that excited about the hatch over the anchor well that I was considering. So instead I am going to leave the anchor well open and only deck up to that frame. Later I will add a snap on cover to cover this area.

The reasons for this are because having the deck covered in the anchor well means adding the bow roller would be more difficult. Also, I feel like adding hatches over the anchor well would be problematical matching them to the curvature of the deck. Leaving the well open, solves these problems and the snap on cover is an easy way to hide the well when not in use.

In order to accomplish this change, I am going to have to switch to a different bow light arrangement than I originally intended. More on that later.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:56 pm

So instead I am going to leave the anchor well open and only deck up to that frame. Later I will add a snap on cover to cover this area.
I can't say I'm crazy about this idea, but I probably don't understand it. Knowing that you've been living and breathing this project for a while, I'm sure what you're planning will maximize utilization and also be aesthetically pleasing, but I'm having a hard time seeing it.

Can you post a picture of the anchor and bow roller you're planning to use. How will you raise and lower it? electric winch and cable?

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:46 pm

Whenever I've seen something like what I think you're talking about with the roller it also stores the anchor right on the end of the bow like this:

Is that what you were thinking?
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:47 am

Carl…. I just want to add a couple cents here..... Making a recessed curved hatch to match the curve of the deck is not all that difficult. That should be a piece of cake for you !! I would take that concern out of the equation.... Neel

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:17 am

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm thinking about what you all have said and still considering options. The picture that Matt posted has especially got me rethinking what might work. Lot's to think about here.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:11 pm

Carl
I have an Evinrude etec motor on my True Grit. I purchased the motor about two years before it was mounted on the boat. The dealer checked with the factory and they delayed starting the warranty period for a year while I finished the boat. There was free rigging and extended warranty when I bought mine and I needed the cables installed to finish the cabin interior. They might delay starting the warranty period for you also if you ask. The factory runs free rigging and extended warranty (up to 10 years) sometimes so watch this also.
Curt

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:32 am

curtgard wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:11 pm
Carl
I have an Evinrude ETEC motor on my True Grit. I purchased the motor about two years before it was mounted on the boat. The dealer checked with the factory and they delayed starting the warranty period for a year while I finished the boat. There was free rigging and extended warranty when I bought mine and I needed the cables installed to finish the cabin interior. They might delay starting the warranty period for you also if you ask. The factory runs free rigging and extended warranty (up to 10 years) sometimes so watch this also.
Curt
Thanks for the interesting tip Curt. I will ask this of the dealer next time I am there. Regardless of their answer, I will have to at a minimum wait until I am nearly ready to move the boat since I'll never have room in my garage for a motor. :shock: :shock: I am especially interested in the free rigging compensation as that can be quite expensive.

But I do have a friend who may be willing to store it for me for a short period , perhaps 6 months. We'll see.

In other news, I got the second roof beam laminated together this morning. Went a little better than last time.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:24 pm

Things continue to plug along. I determined that I will need four of the roof beams and have two completed. Another has all the strips ready and only needs to be laminated together and cleaned up. The fourth is still a thick slab of African Mahogany! :) You can see in the photo that four beams will be better.
IMG_20190723_171059.jpg
Four beams will be necessary. Move the forward one further forward, add two in between that and the aft one.
I've started working on getting the boat ready for decking. There will be plenty to do before this happens but I can work on this when I waiting to laminate the next roof beam together. So far I cleaned up the sheer forward of frame 6 which was the only area remaining to be faired. I installed the strong back. Next up is checking this area and doing any final fairing needed.
IMG_20190723_170440.jpg
Checking fairing of the deck structure
IMG_20190725_171221.jpg
Strong back glued in place. It will need some minor fairing.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:39 am

Topsides are really taking shape. The laminated beams will really look cool, I assume you will keep them bright, and look plenty strong.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:55 am

Thanks Jimmy. Yes they seem quite strong and I will most likely finish them bright.

Third roof beam is laminated together. Was a race against time as the sun was beating down and on top of that, the little boys room was calling me very loudly! :lol: :lol:

I will be cutting out the strips for the remaining beam this weekend and hopefully get them planed down as well. Unfortunately, I have to help my son move tomorrow so that will likely sap any energy I have. I also determined how I am going to add the decking up forward and have made a rough cut template for the plywood. Probably get to that later this week.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Return to “Power Boats”