Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense »

Bill and Jim,

Thanks again for replying to my posts.

Bill, I took a look at how you did your cabin roof. I know understand how you did it. Furthermore, I think your approach is superior to what I was thinking of. From what I can tell, it looks like you took the plywood to the center face and then cut it to match the two angled faces on each side of the center piece. I should be able to do something similar.

Jim, those photos really help to better visualize what needs top be done. Between your photos, Bill's photos, and some brainstorming with a friend, I believe I have an approach that will work for my boat. It will include wrapping the roof with plywood from side to side instead of fore to aft. I believe the side to side curve is more pronounced and will be easier to accomplish with the plywood run the long way.

All the transitions from top to side will be accomplished with hardwood which the plywood will rabbet into. The hardwood will be shaped as needed to form smooth transitions. I am going to spend some time marking up a copy of the last photo so I have something to use as a reference.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Made some progress this weekend on the forward cabin faces.

I now can definitely concur with others who have done this in stating that it's not an easy thing to do. Milling the angles and dados in the vertical posts was a real challenge. Unfortunately, I managed to have a run in with the table saw and lost a bit of my right index finger (just a small piece of the tip) . Wrapped it up in band aids and went back to work.

I still have a ways to go on the structure but it's starting to come together. All of the parts in the photos are before any final fairing work (or actual assembly).

IMG_20191215_164604.jpg
IMG_20191215_161601.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Carl

Band-Aids? Did you run out of duct tape? :lol:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

TomB

Post by TomB »

mrintense wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:55 pm
I managed to have a run in with the table saw and lost a bit of my right index finger (just a small piece of the tip) . Wrapped it up in band aids and went back to work.
You're tough Carl. I rubbed a knuckle against a moving saw blade a few years ago, just enough to tickle and leave a white mark. It didn't even bleed. I had to go lay down. Glad you didn't violate the first rule of boat building...keep all your parts.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I don't know about tough. It all happened so fast that it didn't even hurt. But the main thing was that it happened yesterday morning and the weather was nice and I wanted to get work done on the cabin forward faces so I just took care of it and moved on. I was mad at myself for sure because it was a stupid mistake (it usually is).
Carl

Clipper Boating

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Carl - yikes about the table saw. I'm not exactly sure what you were doing but you may want to consider making some jigs to hold the work if you are holding pieces at odd angles. Its really easy to make a sled that slides in the miter gauge tracks. Pretty much turns your saw into a sliding table saw.

The window is coming along nicely!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Jim,

I had to use jigs because the angles were too weird. I actually hurt myself making the jig!!

Today got a little more progress done after work. Lower horizontal pieces are partially fitted. I need to try and figure out some way to cut both the arch of the deck and the angle on the bottom edge to match the slant of the framework. I suspect the arch will be done using witness sticks but I am not sure yet about the angle nor am I sure which one I should do first.

Here's an in progress shot.

IMG_20191216_172533.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Hi Carl,
Your cabin is looking fantastic.
The bottom of the windshield reminds me of when I was making patterns for my windshield. I used 1/2" mdf which was held in place on the windshield brackets. I used a pencil that layed on the deck and drew a line onto the bottom of the pattern. You will need to elevate the pencil so that it starts where the highest gaps are. Next, shape the pattern to the line (I used a spindle sander), and check to the fit to the deck. By placing the shaped pattern on the deck you should show an even space because the back of the pattern has not been trimmed yet. That gap is how much you will need to trim off of the back side to match the angle of your brackets. Sounds like it might work in theory. :wink:
Hope it works!
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

You could use your rigid bench sander to sand to the arch line and tilt the table to the proper angle. I would do a practice piece first. Looking really good Carl

TomB

Post by TomB »

Carl,

Once you get close, sand paper taped the deck is the perfect sanding block to fine tune the joint. Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Jim, Neel, and Tom,

Thanks for all of these suggestions. I think I can use a combination of all of them to get this job done.

Jim, your approach of using the pencil on a block and an MDF pattern clarifies what has to be done and makes it seem easier to understand. I especially like how you mention to do the curve first and then use the gap on the forward side to determine the amount of material to remove on the back side.

Neel, I like the idea of using the spindle sander and I will look into that approach. I think it will neatly solve the angle issue while keeping the relationship to the curve.

Tom, I've heard of this approach of taping sand paper to the deck. Thanks for reminding me of that. I think that will be an excellent way to do the final tuning of the joint between the frame and the deck.
Carl

Clipper Boating

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Carl, here's a flexible curve template that looks pretty good. Jim's approach is great because you can use a scrap of material on hand to reproduce the curve and is the method I used. For the angle, you can draw the curve on both sides of the piece and shape to the lines... the slope may change along the length.

https://www.amazon.com/Westcott-Flexibl ... DP89VNXTGD

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Carl, I'm not sure if there is an easy way to cut the bottom piece where it meets the deck. I ended up scribing it as close as I could and then slowly cutting it with a #4 hand plane. Mine lays back at 45 degrees so I was able to gauge that with a combination square. I had to go back and forth to the boat many many times.

The cabin is looking awesome so far!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks for the replies Steve and Matt.

I am going to use a combination of Jim's, Tom's, and Neel's suggestions I think to tackle this. I suspect there will be a lot of climbing in and out of the boat. Maybe I should buy a second spindle sander and mount it to the boat!! :lol: :lol:
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Had to wait a few days to get to the lower horizontals but today was the day to work on them. I found out that the template has to be first mounted vertical when drawing out the curve of the deck. Angling the template at the same angle as the parts initially leads to too shallow of a curve. But once that was done, I measured the gaps on the forward side and offset the template that much on the back side and drew the second curve.

Then set my band saw at a steep enough angle and removed the excess wood. Set the Rigid oscillating sander to max angle (45 degrees) and sanded down to the forward facing lines using one side of the belt near the roller. Then it was simply a matter of testing the fit and making adjustments.

Once I get everything else done, I will tape some sandpaper to the deck and do the final shaping of the curves.

I have to get some more lumber before I can finish the windows. That will be on Monday hopefully although I still have to work that day.

IMG_20191221_144131.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

Return to “Power Boats”