Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense »

We're still evaluating this particular design. There are some disadvantages like it doesn't lend itself well to cup holders with affecting the design aesthetic and like you mentioned Bryan, they could potentially be heavy. Like everything else about this build, I am delaying making a decision on things until I know more. This is one of those decisions where I want to wait rather than get sidetracked on making something that may or may not be the right choice.

Since the boat will be far from finished when she splashes, still needing most of the interior trim, I have time to use the boat and see what's best for the given situation.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

I like the direction you’re going Carl. If you remember, as like others were skeptical of your idea of only 1 captain’s chair, but seeing that pic you’re using for inspiration, beautiful is all I can say.

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Hi Carl - I think waiting this one out is a good idea. Figure out what you like after you use it a bit. Necessity is the mother of invention and all.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Billy and Jim,

Progress continues. It's gotten a lot hotter so work sessions tend to be an hour or less before retreating into the house for awhile. I've nearly completed the fuel tank box. It's been assembled and painted. Only waiting on a couple of small parts to finish it. The box has been designed to allow inspection of the hose fittings and can be slid out for removal of the gas tank when and if this becomes necessary. It also confines any fumes to the inside of the box where they can be blown out using a blower that will eventually be hooked up.
IMG_20200705_143955.jpg
There is also a flush mounted vent for the fuel tank that I've ready a place for in the hull side.
IMG_20200703_142320.jpg

And I've gotten back to working on the fuel tank facade cabinet and helm station. I was trying to come up with some ideas how to style the exterior of them, so work had shifted to other items while I thought about it. One thing that I did want to have is a fairly large radius on the inboard aft corners of the cabinet and the helm station platform. I'm trying out a technique I read about using closely spaced grooves cut into plywood making it flexible enough to form a curve. In the photo, I've poured how water over the plywood and clamped it around a can to dry. Then I will put epoxy in the grooves and reform the curve. Once that's cured and cleaned up, then the inside of the curve will be fiberglassed for additional strength and the exterior will be vacuum bag veneered. We'll see how it turns out.
IMG_20200705_145128.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Looking good Carl! Great job on that tight radius bend. They even sell a product called Kerf Core that has the cuts in it if you needed a whole panel for something curvy.

When you vacuum bag that part for veneer you will need a form (so the pressure does not smash it flat), its recommended to make them out of MDF and then cover with packing tape.

I am currently taking a break as it is 95F here in the shade.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Jim,

I know what you mean about the heat. It's been over a hundred several days in a row here. Starting to cool down a bit, only 94 today.

As for veneering the parts, they can be vacuum bagged without a form as long as the parts are bagged properly so that the bag can conform to the shape and not pull anywhere. I used to do this quite often as an aircraft mechanic. The main difficulty is getting the veneer to stay in the proper position since it has to be cut to the correct size to start. No overhangs allowed with this technique unless some sort of support is added at the edges.

I'm fiberglassing the inside surfaces today. I'll be trying out the veneer probably tomorrow.
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Well progress is continuing, albeit at a bit slower pace because I'm doing quite a bit of epoxy work at the moment.

The fuel tank facade cabinet is underway now and I just put on two of the three hardwood edges. I'll clean those up tomorrow and add the third one. Then a few pieces on the inside to help hold this in place when installed and I can finally move on to the helm.

Speaking of the helm, I've been looking around for a dealer to work with me on the purchase and installation of the outboard. That won't happen for awhile yet, but I need to start getting answers to some questions now and I want to have all of this lined up when I am ready. The main question I need to get answered first is the size requirements for the binnacle style controller I will be purchasing. Then I can finalize my helm design and get it assembled.

Here are some photos of the fuel tank facade cabinet in work. I've designed it so that it slides into place over the fuel tank box and then locks into position. For now it's going to remain plain but eventually I'll add drawers and some decorative trim. It's plywood veneered with African Mahogany veneer and then there will be hardwood edges added at the corners.

IMG_20200710_184840.jpg
IMG_20200712_152332.jpg
IMG_20200716_162933.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Looking Great!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Solid progress Carl... looking great!

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Nice work Carl!
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Roberta, Steve, and Bryan.

It's starting to get more real now that I am closing in on finishing the major parts of the construction. Still much to do and I suspect my launch will slip next year. But I am doing what I can to get done and putting off many items until later, but all the while trying to ensure that I can do the remaining work without having to tear things apart again.
Carl

Clipper Boating

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Does boating season ever really end in Texas?
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

hoodman wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:11 am
Yes! July 5- Sept 6, time between Independence Day and Labor Day, boating season is closed due to excessive heat.
Matt B

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Carl, I missed this somewhere in the thread, why are you putting your tanks above deck. I’m picturing plenty of room under the floor aft for a tank.
Matt B

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Hercdrvr wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:17 am
hoodman wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:11 am
Yes! July 5- Sept 6, time between Independence Day and Labor Day, boating season is closed due to excessive heat.
Matt B
I see, so the opposite of the Indiana boating season.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Return to “Power Boats”