Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

nc721

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by nc721 »

Looking good Carl. I also like the simple curve you chose.
Nick

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Gradually getting the helm upper cabinet put together. I have a hydraulic steering setup for my boat and I wanted to set the pump back into the dash some so it doesn't stick out so far. That took some head scratching and trial and error to get fitted. It's basically a backing plate mounted inside the helm that the pump mounts to and then the pump goes through a shaped opening in the exterior panel. The challenge came from trying to ensure the backing plate was mounted parallel and in the correct side to side and up and down position as the outer panel so that the pump lines up correctly with the opening. This was compounded by the heat in the garage, lots of cussing, mosquitoes, the weight of the pump and trying to hold all the loose parts in place.

Anyway it's mostly done. I'll have a picture later.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Carl, any pictures of that? I am planning on doing the same with my hydraulic helm, but haven't quite figured it out yet.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Don't know if you have purchased your hydraulic helm yet, but Seastar does have options for helms that are surface mounted or mounted behind the panel. Be sure to provide access for bleeding and fluid checks if mounting behind the panel.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

DrBryanJ wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:49 am
Carl, any pictures of that? I am planning on doing the same with my hydraulic helm, but haven't quite figured it out yet.
Bryan, I don't have any good pictures yet. I'll try to get some soon. Its a bit tight quartered but I should be able to get something that makes it clearer what I did. I have to re-assemble the assembly first and there are a few other things going on in that area at the moment.

But basically there's the outer panel (the dash) with a hole to fit the diameter of the pump where you want it to show. I had to slightly bevel that hole because the pump is cone shaped. Also, my pump has a small raised section where the fill port is, so I had to cut out a corresponding area in the dash hole.

On the inside of the dash, there is a second parallel mounted plate that the pump attaches to. This needs to be securely mounted the appropriate distance back from the dash in order to get the correct amount of pump exposed . I placed mine so that the fill port is visible just outside the dash. Equally as important is ensuring that the mount holes on the back panel (and the panel itself) are in the correct position up and down and side to side so that the pump lines up with the hole in the dash. All of this took some time to get right. One thing that helped was to have two temporary blocks cut to the correct distance between the plates to allow clamping the plates in position. You may or may not be able to do that depending upon clamp access.

As for mounting the back panel, my helm compartment is narrow enough that I attached cleats on the sides to attach the backing plate to. There are other ways I am sure, but the important thing is to make it in such a way that you can make the back plate removable so that you can trap the pump between the plate and the dash. I drilled holes through the cleats and the back panel that I will be using for bolts to attach the backing plate. My backing plate attaches to the back side of the cleats so its easier to place into position (although somewhat awkward given the tight quarters and the weight of the pump)

Sorry if this is a bit wordy but hopefully will get you going in the right direction. I'll try to post pictures soon.
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Roberta, I already purchased my setup a few years ago, but wasn't aware of this option. Useful info and Bryan, you should check into that.
Carl

Clipper Boating

TomB

Post by TomB »

Hey Carl,

Have you seen these clips used as blind fasteners for back panels. https://www.sailrite.com/BeauClip-Panel ... stem-Black

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of that either and have already purchased my helm.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Actually, mounting the hydraulic helm on the dash is not a bad thing. Easier to bleed and check fluid level. Here are some pictures of the Torpedo helm.

Roberta
Attachments
20200810_090148.jpg
20200810_090201.jpg
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I've been slowly assembling he upper helm. Lots of hardwood edges and panel installs. Finally starting to get somewhere. I got my switches today and already have the instruments. Just waiting on hinges for the instrument panel before doing the final layout of the instrument holes. Most of the switches will go in the narrow panel below the steering (to the right of that actually).

Also have the curve ready for the helm platform extension. I'll be moving to that shortly.

IMG_20200809_164007.jpg
IMG_20200813_192406.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

looks great, Carl. That curved addition is an elegant solution.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

That looks nice Carl,
Matt B

TomB

Post by TomB »

Well done. Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Looks good Carl. Did you do some steaming to get that curve?

Lee

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Matt, Matt, Tom, and Lee

Lee, the curved piece was made by stacking narrow pieces around a form and then applying fairing compound after the initial epoxy has cured. After the fairing compound was sanded down, I veneered the part.

IMG_20200806_124733.jpg

In other news, the helm extension parts have all been figured out. Some parts are already installed. Others will start getting installed tonight.

IMG_20200816_182801.jpg
IMG_20200817_182619.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

Return to “Power Boats”