Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

neel thompson

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by neel thompson »

Carl.... Very nice way to fix the original problem. Actually with the curved corner, it looks nicer than the original. There always seem to be a way !!

nc721

Post by nc721 »

Curve looks great.
Nick

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Neel and NC721 (name please?)

I like the curve addition better than the original design as well.

Progress on the helm continues. The structural members of the helm platform extension are completed, the new top panels have been made, and I've started encapsulating everything. Still have more work to do on the upper instrument section and I haven't started yet on the electrical box which will be built into the lower section. Also need to clean up the exterior surfaces and decide on a finish. This is one of those projects where you feel like you are not making any progress even though you have daily examples to prove otherwise. So much to do on this one component. And, I still have to make the modifications to the floor board to accommodate the increased platform length.

IMG_20200819_161952.jpg
IMG_20200821_170104.jpg
IMG_20200822_170758.jpg
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

One more.

IMG_20200822_161533.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

One bite at a time. Looks great.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Carl, you continue to amaze me! That is looking great.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Carl,

I agree. That looks great. Another nice custom touch.

Lee

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Wow!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks for the kind feedback Roberta, Matt, Lee, and Bryan. I'm pretty happy with the shape. Still not sure how I am going to finish it although it will be a combination of paint and natural wood. The platform top will be the same carpet (or whatever) is used for the aft cabin floor.
Carl

Clipper Boating

nc721

Post by nc721 »

Looking sharp.

Nick
Nick

Macalf

Post by Macalf »

Hi Carl
Thank you very much for all the contributions that are inspiration for my ship project.
I apologize for the bad English, I use the translator .....
Martin

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Nick and Martin.

Sorry I haven't been online recently. Still working on the helm. Also getting the floor board modifications finished up. The helm is taking far longer than I thought it would at first. But most of the parts except for three access panels (including the instrument panel) are in place. I'm waiting for hardware to add these remaining panels.

The DC switchboard opening has been added and the switchboard placed there for the photo. I'll probably add some decorative trim at some point.
The DC switchboard opening has been added and the switchboard placed there for the photo. I'll probably add some decorative trim at some point.
The end access panel is mounted. Still need to clean up and finish the exterior of the helm.
The end access panel is mounted. Still need to clean up and finish the exterior of the helm.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Jacinda

Post by Jacinda »

Too great, one person can accomplish the things of a team.

Alan71

Post by Alan71 »

Hello Carl.

In looking at your photos I'm wondering about the stress the fasteners for the seat base will put on the surface of the platform.

Might an addition of a rectangular piece of solid lumber blocking 'let-in' to the platform framing help mitigate the forces your movements on the seat will make? I can imagine the fasteners working loose in the plywood over time

Regards,
Alan

Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 9.58.58 AM.png

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Hi Alan. I had planned on sizable fender washers on the bottom side of the surface panel (which is 1/2" thick). However, I see what you are getting at and I think that would be a good addition to make to the structure. Thanks for pointing that out.

In other news, I've fitted the access panels for the helm. I'm waiting for the hardware which has been delayed because of the plague. I don't want to cut out out the instrument holes or switch holes until I get the hinges I am waiting for. This is just to be sure that I will have room for them. Better to be safe than sorry.

I also got the electrical panel mounted inside the cabinet.

I know it seems like not a lot is getting done, but there have been many sessions of fitting, sanding, encapsulating, and gluing. I've also been working on getting the floor boards in the aft cabin ready for paint. I want to give the bilge paint several weeks to cure before installing the floorboards.

The picture of the electrical fittings is just to show an idea of how they might be mounted to the interior electrical panel I just installed (in the other picture)

All the access panels set in position, waiting for hardware. Instrument panel(above steering hole)  and the panel below that's clamped are hinged. The large main access panel will be removable.
All the access panels set in position, waiting for hardware. Instrument panel(above steering hole) and the panel below that's clamped are hinged. The large main access panel will be removable.
The electrical panel mounted inside the helm cabinet.
The electrical panel mounted inside the helm cabinet.
Example of how the electrical panel will be used.
Example of how the electrical panel will be used.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Return to “Power Boats”