Little Fellow inboard.

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

hzchevy

Little Fellow inboard.

Post by hzchevy »

Just wanting to know if anybody else has attempted a small inboard as seen here :

http://www.vintageprojects.com/boats/little-boat.pdf

I am still hooked on the idea and yes i know its easier to throw an outboard on the back but whats the fun in that. We all want to build something thats unique right? Or maybe im just plain crazy lol

khundley

Re: Little Fellow inboard.

Post by khundley »

Now that looks like some fun!
Ken Hundley
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

matt167

Post by matt167 »

Inboard is a cool idea, but you can't trim an inboard, which I think would be needed on somthing that small to keep the bow down. I would think some kind of a jet pump would work better. You could almost take the little kids stitch and glue runabout and add a jet ski jet drive to it to it. Would have to add a foot or 2 to it.. Haven't built a boat yet, just my opinion from a design perspective

mk e

Post by mk e »

I saw an episode of "little rascals" years ago where Darla (?) ran off with a boy who had a yacht.....which was a very cool small inboard runabout that seemed to go about 5-10 mph if I recall.

Fast forward 20 years and I was living at a place with a large pond and had nieces and nephews....I was thinking I should build build a small version of the chriscraft I had for the pond like the one I had seem on TV. My plan was 3 or 5hp and a trans from an old small riding mower which are just F/N/R....I was going to add a centrifugal clutch between the engine and trans just for good measure thinking it would be safer for kids climbing in and out if it didn't go when you bumped the gear lever.

I never actually did it but I thought it was a good plan but now that I'm a parent I'm not so sure it was a good plan. A spinning prop and children playing seem like a bad combination....maybe on a low speed boat it could be guarded to make it safe?

All that said about a low speed boat, building a small power boat for a child to go out on any large body of water at 25-30mph though seems like a very big mistake to me as both children and small boats are pretty unstable....so the most probably outcome is an injured or dead child. I'm pretty sure it's also illegal in most places for a child to operate a power boat and even if operated only on private property you could still be looking at an endangering the welfare of a child citation. This just seems like a bad idea and as an engineer and a parent I say let them sit on you lap and drive you boat and they will be both happier (because they are driving the BIG boat) and a WHOLE lot safer.

hzchevy

Post by hzchevy »

Actually mk e I have designed my boat to accommodate myself. I understand Little Fellow was built for a younger person but, The topic was about putting an inboard in a small boat and not about being a bad parent. Unfortunately I have no kids and this is just a project for myself.

mk e

Post by mk e »

hzchevy wrote:Actually mk e I have designed my boat to accommodate myself. I understand Little Fellow was built for a younger person but, The topic was about putting an inboard in a small boat and not about being a bad parent. Unfortunately I have no kids and this is just a project for myself.
Sorry. I read the link and found it a bit disturbing and just assumed you were headed in that direction.

For a boat for you (150-200lbs??) there are several technical challenges I see.

first is simply finding a place for you but once that is solved then the it gets hard to both keep the weight far enough back and have adequate displacement under/around the weight. The little rascals boat was effectively a displacement hull....5mph. 25mph is a planing hull which will be tough to get the balance right and not have it shaped like a triangle

The outboard through the bottom will be a bugger to seal and keep sealed. You'll want a rubber gasket that you can put in compression I think....if you try just caulking I thing it will start to delaminate and weep after not a lot of hours.

The remaining issue is just the standard small boat in anything but dead calm water stuff......water over the bow, crazy rough.......hmmmm....center of gravity low enough to let you turn at any kind of speed will also be an issue with the narrow beam I'd expect to see in an 8-10ft(????) inboard. Be sure and look at the math and give yourself at least 2gs worth of turning.

Return to “Power Boats”