Mahogany veneers?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

slug

Mahogany veneers?

Post by slug »

Question for Neel and other mahogany cold molded builders.
On your final laminations I assume you are using solid mahogany veneer rather than mahogany ply. If that is the case, are you making your own 1/8 or 1/4 " solid planks or are you able to buy them somewhere?

Thanks; Doug

Lowka53

Re: Mahogany veneers?

Post by Lowka53 »

8) i am not using it but from posts from the past most use solid wood and re-saw down to thinness I have herd both thicknesses being used. :roll: :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

fergal butler

Post by fergal butler »

I get a local shop to cut it and run it through a thicknesser, half of it ends up as sawdust but I still have to pay for it :roll:

billy c

Post by billy c »

you can run them thru a bandsaw or pass flip and repass on a table saw.
a lot less waste on the bandsaw as you can use without thickness planing
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

billy c wrote:you can run them thru a bandsaw or pass flip and repass on a table saw.
Billy,

can you expand on this a bit. Looking at the photos, I am wondering how you keep the thickness consistent while band sawing. Even on a table saw I would think that this would be difficult to accomplish. I'd be interested in hearing more about your approach if you don't mind explaining it. Thanks.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

i CUT MINE 3/16". Then thru the thickneser/planer. By the end I probably have 1/8".

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen »

I cut mine on a bandsaw and then put them thru the planer. Like others have said half is waste.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

jenko

Post by jenko »

I bought 10 6.5 metre 150mm x 25mm lengths of Philippine mahogany for $600 au and paid another $600 au to have them machined to 4mm X 150mm averaged 3 good ones per board and got alot of 1/2 /1/4 lengths but enough to do the riviera , was not game to do it myself and don't have a thicknesser or band saw .
so for one off job I thought that was good value, although the band-saw and thicknesser i would use again

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Hi Doug, I had mine resawn at the mill. I ordered 10" or 11" wide boards that would be milled to 1/8" thickness. I think the lengths were from 12' to 15'. It was all African Mahogany. After they cut each board into 1/8" planks, they taped all of the pieces from each individual board together so I could book match if desired. By having them do the dirty work, there was little waste, and besides, I didn't have the big saws to do it myself. Not sure how much moneyyou would save by doing it yourself, but a lot less work!! Neel

billy c

Post by billy c »

mrintense wrote:
billy c wrote:you can run them thru a bandsaw or pass flip and repass on a table saw.
Billy,

can you expand on this a bit. Looking at the photos, I am wondering how you keep the thickness consistent while band sawing. Even on a table saw I would think that this would be difficult to accomplish. I'd be interested in hearing more about your approach if you don't mind explaining it. Thanks.
on the bandsaw, i lightly thickness planed the board every few cuts, taking off about a 64th to make sure i had a clean surface to run against the fence. the finish cut of the Timberwolf resaw blade is amazing! best of all i have tried over the last 40 years. it can run at low tension because of its silicon steel structure and thin kerf, so would run well even on smaller 14" saws. on setup, the fence is set by sawing a straight line on a test board guided thru the saw by hand without the fence for about a foot, then marking the feed angle needed to obtain the straight cut and clamping the fence to that angle. table angle is adjusted also to be square and true. after adjusting. run the rest of the board thru and check settings. ...then it is just a matter of supporting the infeed and outfeed tables for the length of your material so it feeds smoothly. make sure also your chip/dust removal chutes are clean and removing material in the kerf and you are ready to saw all day.
-Billy

fredt

Post by fredt »

Billy:
You said the
"Timberwolf resaw blade is amazing! best of all i have tried over the last 40 years ".

As I am getting close to this step, did you use the 1/2" or 3/4" blade? Silly question I know, but resawing takes a little
practice. Last time I think I set up the side guide bearings to close to the teeth and ruined the blade. Caused it to not track as the set was ruined. Really appreciate your information on this.

Fred
Monaco

billy c

Post by billy c »

fredt wrote: As I am getting close to this step, did you use the 1/2" or 3/4" blade? Silly question I know, but resawing takes a little
practice. Last time I think I set up the side guide bearings to close to the teeth and ruined the blade. Caused it to not track as the set was ruined. Really appreciate your information on this.
Fred
Monaco
Fred
if you are 1 hp or more, the 3/4" blade will run great. it gives a little more accuracy when resawing 6" or better boards. for quite a few years, i ran my 14" Delta (still have and use it) but by todays standards, it is underpowered at 3/4 hp so the 1/2" blade is necessary. i find when i use the smaller saw, opening up the kerf as i am sawing keeps the chip/dust removal happening so i can get a cut with minimal runout. These blades run at a pretty low tension so is easy to adjust for either saw. You are right about the guide bearings or anything that changes the set of the teeth ...or they get overheated/dulled and gummed up they will never track right. The Timberwolf has a good lifespan to it and will cut lots of bf of lumber before you will need to replace it.
-Billy

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/v ... video.aspx

There are many books on band saws and you can learn more each time you turn a page.

Someday I would love a huge shop with brand new equipment that I could tune and make sing as I worked on them all day.....

SS

fredt

Post by fredt »

Thanks for the info. I have a 2 hp rikon 18" so plenty of power. The blade I had the problem with was the Woodslicer, highly recommended, which I think I ruined by setting sidebearings up wrong, so can't say it was a fair test. I do like the Timberwolf blades. I will order one in 3/4" for resawing, which looks like it is .25 inch with 3 tpi.

Fred

billy c

Post by billy c »

fredt wrote: 3/4" for resawing, which looks like it is .25 inch with 3 tpi.
Fred
...yes, the PC series

Return to “Power Boats”