Anybody building Little Hunk?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

film842

Anybody building Little Hunk?

Post by film842 »

Anybody out there building the little hunk? Would love to compare notes.

Seiner

Re: Anybody building Little Hunk?

Post by Seiner »

I have built a little hunk. I stretched it to 20'. Just let me know if you have any questions or problems, I may have had the same ones. :?

Fair winds,
Seiner
Attachments
sunset at shilshole.jpg

film842

Post by film842 »

Seiner wrote:I have built a little hunk. I stretched it to 20'. Just let me know if you have any questions or problems, I may have had the same ones. :?

Fair winds,
Seiner
I believe your boat is shown on the Glen-L site? At any rate, I quite admired it, especially how you handled the cabin. Given the weather in this part of the world, I imagine thata your cabin will make a day on the water so much nicer. I built the Glen-L Hunky Dory some years ago without a cabin and I can still taste the salt water.

I'm going to stretch to 21' so if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you if you're happy with the cabin and do you feel that the hull handles it well? My only hesitation on a cabin of that size would be balance.

Also, I see that you went with the inboard well. That's the same as I had on my Hunky Dory and I liked it and plan on doing the same with the Little Hunk. Some dory people down here in Oregon are against the inboard wells for a variety of reasons, none of which has changed my mind. How do you feel about yours?

darthplywood

Post by darthplywood »

film842 wrote:
Seiner wrote:I have built a little hunk. I stretched it to 20'. Just let me know if you have any questions or problems, I may have had the same ones. :?

Fair winds,
Seiner
I believe your boat is shown on the Glen-L site? At any rate, I quite admired it, especially how you handled the cabin. Given the weather in this part of the world, I imagine thata your cabin will make a day on the water so much nicer. I built the Glen-L Hunky Dory some years ago without a cabin and I can still taste the salt water.

I'm going to stretch to 21' so if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you if you're happy with the cabin and do you feel that the hull handles it well? My only hesitation on a cabin of that size would be balance.

Also, I see that you went with the inboard well. That's the same as I had on my Hunky Dory and I liked it and plan on doing the same with the Little Hunk. Some dory people down here in Oregon are against the inboard wells for a variety of reasons, none of which has changed my mind. How do you feel about yours?
just out of curiousity, what are some of the reasons people say they are against inboard wells?
Built the 17' Glen-L "Sea Knight"
yet to come...11' Glen-L "Utility"

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Like Darth I'd like to know their reasons. I know it affects cockpit area. I'm committed now on the Bartender. but, I'd like to hear their position.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

film842

Post by film842 »

Bill Edmundson wrote:Like Darth I'd like to know their reasons. I know it affects cockpit area. I'm committed now on the Bartender. but, I'd like to hear their position.

Bill
The primary reasons that they give are: Inability to back into oncoming current without bringing water into the boat through the well and that modern 4 stroke engines are too heavy for a well. Personally I don't understand the latter reason at all. The well can be built as strong as it needs to be and a well gives better balance than hanging all that weight off the transom. (At least in my opinion)

It is true that the primary Pacific City dory builder in Oregon, Terry Learned does not build wells anymore and most new dorys seems to have transom mounted outboards. Of course PC dorys are built for beach launching and that has much to do with owner preferences.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Beach launch I might buy. Backing maybe. But the weight will be more of a problem on the transom than closer to the center of buoyancy.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

darthplywood

Post by darthplywood »

Bill Edmundson wrote:Beach launch I might buy. Backing maybe. But the weight will be more of a problem on the transom than closer to the center of buoyancy.

Bill
I agree, it seems that the weight can always be considered and managed in the build no matter where the motor is mounted
Built the 17' Glen-L "Sea Knight"
yet to come...11' Glen-L "Utility"

Seiner

Post by Seiner »

The weight of the cabin forward actually helps the fore-aft balance with the fuel and motor close to the stern. It is not running uphill as much which tends to a common attitude in dories. The hardtop is as much a pleasure in sun as it is in rain. The forward sloping windshield eliminates glare off the dashboard in sunshine and minimizes light reflection on the windshield when running in darkness or fog.

I have not had any problems with water coming on board while backing into current or chop. the internal transom is sloped back wards as is the stern of the boat. What is a splash her or there anyway. This is not a yacht. and I have two 1000 gph bilge pumps.

One advantage with the well that I really appreciate is that you basically have two huge trimtabs on either side of the engine. I have a 50 hp Tohatsu oil injected 2-stroke mounted which is much lighter than a 4 stoke. I have decked over the side spaces which also gives me deck space for netting salmon as they are brought to the boat. I placed a 20 gal tank in that Portside space to counter my weight on the starboard control side. I have a 6 gal tank on the portside. My batteries are mounted on the portside midships.

Seiner

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Seiner

Thanks for the info. I'm about to turn a 24' Bartender with inboard well for an outboard.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Seiner

Post by Seiner »

The bartender is on my all-time list. That boat was designed for the PNW area. I check your thread everytime I sign on to see how you are doing.

Return to “Power Boats”