Malahini performance

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

PeterG

Re: Malahini performance

Post by PeterG » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:28 am

Nicely done! Per the Malahini plans the spray rails run full length to the transom but the bottom edge of the spray rails are flush with and same angle as the bottom for the aft third or 2/5 of the hull length. Meaning what you installed is just exactly what you needed :)
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Mike Yelverton

Post by Mike Yelverton » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:40 am

Nice job with the spray rails. I have finally decided to mount them on my Riviera after too long a time of getting everyone wet every time I come off plan.
Spray rail dimensions and shape were not in my Riviera plans. I would appreciate any suggestions from others who have done a similar boat. I would think Tahoe might be a good example.I have already molded up some lumber and am sizing up the job.
Picture1.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:13 am

Mike

Mine go full length. The bottom edge in perpendicular to the sides at the chine until the widest point. Then I started rolling them until the until the bottom is parallel to the water surface.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

footer

Post by footer » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:36 am

Mine follow the chine all the way and I have very little issue with spray. Although my sister did get soaked in the back when I hit a wave in a tight turn. So, my intentions are to put the one towards the back like yours too just because I like the look and I want it to double as a rub rail.

Mike Yelverton

Post by Mike Yelverton » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:49 pm

Thanks for your reply.

What I think I have decided is that I can come back later and extend the spray rail all the way aft if I think that is necessary, but I don't. So I will carry it along the chine from the bow to a point just shy of mid ship. That will be a 8'6" length piece. I kept resizing until I convinced myself that a 1.25" quarter round with some round over on the bottom outside edge will do the job. I was toying with creating a cove bottom on the rail bottom so that water off the hull bottom would gradually be forced in another direction. I have decided that its not worth the effort. Although that's a fun table saw exercise.

Not sure I understood Bill's explanation that required the "rolling" of the bottom edge. I think that comes natural with the perpendicular angle of the piece as it goes aft and the chine angle transitions relative to the hull.

One more thing for me is that 1.25" is too much to bend as needed. So I plan to steam. Should be fun.

Also, I don't wish to hijack this thread. But I'm unsure how to cast out a new question on this forum. Any instruction on that is appreciated.

Thanks Team Glen-L builders

Mike

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:52 pm

From the stem the rail actually turns down. This turns the water down adding lift. As the boat get narrower the rail gets flatter throwing the water out away from the boat without adding drag.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Biss

Post by Biss » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:28 pm

I stopped short of going all the way to the stem. They actually stop before going above the painted water line. We have been staying dry. Only time we get some spray is if we hit a really big wave.
20181109_172025.jpg
20181110_083543.jpg
20190706_125648.jpg

Return to “Power Boats”